ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

Mini-Review of GNU Emacs

<< < (3/5) > >>

ewemoa:
Emacs does not allow me to code "popup boxes".
-Tuxman (September 19, 2013, 07:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

I wonder if speedbar might be hacked to do something approriate...

Then there's stuff like this.

Tuxman:
Hmm, interesting. Not sure if this can be (ab)used...
(admittedly, I still can't. Maybe someone else can.)

I have my speedbar as a sidebar (sr-speedbar).

Jibz:
In Sublime Text, when you press Ctrl+P (or Cmd+P on those... what do they call it? "Mac" or somethings), a small box appears in the top right corner of the window, allowing you to open files, jump to a certain function/symbol or line in the current file and a couple of other things.
-Tuxman (September 19, 2013, 06:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

This was one of the things that got me to use ST as well. This, and the way multiple cursors work -- they are a very elegant visual way to do a lot of things :-*.

That's one of the major "cons" of Sublime Text whose highlighting (and indentation) rules are rather FUBAR. Once you've stumbled upon Emacs, you'll notice what has been missing...
-Tuxman (September 19, 2013, 04:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

I agree, the highlighting varies somewhat in quality. I guess ST inherited the highlighters from TextMate, and I was surprised that even for common languages like C/C++ they are not exactly great.

Tuxman:
Multiple cursors by just clicking into the text can be used in Emacs too, thanks to the multiple-cursors package.

MilesAhead:
There's also XEmacs branch for those who have not memorized the Emacs key bindings.  It boasts a familiar File Edit... Menu enabled by default.  I ran it a couple years ago in XP. It seemed quite stable.  There's also an Inno Setup of a pre-compiled Beta. I don't know what features are in the beta or how stable it is.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version