topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:56 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Anyone from German, I have a question for you.  (Read 5511 times)

tslim

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Anyone from German, I have a question for you.
« on: September 18, 2013, 11:43 AM »
I read an article on newspaper, saying that in German there is law prohibiting pre-school education (education on kids younger than seven), is that true?

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Anyone from German, I have a question for you.
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 12:05 PM »
I'm not from here, but I live here. I can tell you:
the normal school-going age is between 6 and 7 years old. It would be unusual for a child to start school at 7 years of age.
I dont know if starting school at a younger age is allowed or not. Probably not - otherwise the ages of the kids would be very varied.

Of course, the norm is to go to kindergarten for years before that.
Tom

tslim

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 12:43 PM »
I'm not from here, but I live here. I can tell you:
the normal school-going age is between 6 and 7 years old. It would be unusual for a child to start school at 7 years of age.
I dont know if starting school at a younger age is allowed or not. Probably not - otherwise the ages of the kids would be very varied.

Of course, the norm is to go to kindergarten for years before that.

I suppose kindergarten is pre-school education. According to the article I have read, it should be forbidden in German. I am keen to know whether what the article says is true.

AbteriX

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 01:04 PM »
kindergarten is not forbidden in germany. The opposite is true; in the past, kindergarten starts at 3 years old, now even baby's can be brought to kindergarten (the world goes more silly every day  :'( )

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 02:45 PM »
According to the article I have read, it should be forbidden in German.

can you explain why? (according to the article)
Tom

tslim

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 04:00 PM »
The article is on a Hong Kong newspaper, talk about how harmful pre-school education can be. It starts by stating Germany law prohibit pre-school education and how successful Germany is, in producing talents etc. Sort of by forcing kids to memorize a lot of things in pre-school education we will destroy their creativity and analytic mind.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 05:49 PM »
The article is on a Hong Kong newspaper, talk about how harmful pre-school education can be. It starts by stating Germany law prohibit pre-school education and how successful Germany is, in producing talents etc. Sort of by forcing kids to memorize a lot of things in pre-school education we will destroy their creativity and analytic mind.

I've heard that idea here as well. It makes sense to me on a 'common sense' level.
Has it had anything to do with Germany's success?
Who knows... in a 2009 report, the schools here rated poorly in comparision with other European schools (PISA report).
In many areas, there are shortages of highly-qualified people here - this has a lot to do with the low birthrate though.
Tom

Lutz_

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2013, 12:59 AM »
This must have been a very misinformed article.  Schools are regulated by the states in Germany, but none of the states is crazy enough to outlaw education.  Education is free in Germany; including universities.
Elementary school and with it compulsory education starts at age 6;  Kindergarten (not compulsory) at age 3, I guess.  Usually kids start leaning how to read and write in elementary school, beginning with the first grade - this is unlike the US (where they believe kids have to start reading in kindergarten) and unlike Finland (said to have the best schools - where kids supposedly start reading at age 7; http://www.newameric...ungest-children-9029).