ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

software recommendations - photo/graphics editors

(1/7) > >>

Target:
looking for recommendations for something to replace a corel paint shop pro (x2) install that has worn out it's welcome

On our W7x32 laptop it's hijacked most (all?) of the admin tools (ie control panel, devices and printers, etc) which has raised my ire so it's gotta go >:(

This is my wifes machine and she's a very light (basic!!) user, mostly minor retouching of photos or scans, so photoshop is probably overkill (not to mention that I probably couldn't afford a copy even if I could justify it).

This really isn't a software genre that particularly interests me so while I'm aware of the major candidates, I have no idea about their relative merits...

what say you?

4wd:
My most used photo editor is the free version of Photofiltre.

http://www.photofiltre-studio.com/pf7-en.htm

Version 7 adds layers or there's version 6 if you don't need them - it's also portable and not as resource intensive as some others

Runs on my old netbook quite well.

Renegade:
The GIMP is likely too much for your wife considering what you wrote above (though once you learn, it's worth it). Perhaps Paint.NET? It's easier, but still quite powerful.

You might want to look at the viewer market though. A lot of viewers have very simple and easy to use tools for quick retouching. e.g. Faststone, ALSee, etc.

Also, depending on your camera, some come with software packages for retouching photos, especially those that shoot RAW/NEF.

Target:
The GIMP is likely too much for your wife considering what you wrote above (though once you learn, it's worth it). Perhaps Paint.NET? It's easier, but still quite powerful. -Renegade (September 16, 2013, 09:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

that was (is?) certainly a consideration, mostly because I'm expected to provide training and support!!

You might want to look at the viewer market though. A lot of viewers have very simple and easy to use tools for quick retouching. e.g. Faststone, ALSee, etc.
--- End quote ---

yep, been a long time user of FastStone, and she does use it a lot for exactly that reason :Thmbsup:

Also, depending on your camera, some come with software packages for retouching photos, especially those that shoot RAW/NEF.
--- End quote ---

sadly our camera's don't do anything in the raw - that said, I probably should at least look at the supplied software :-[.  I've never felt that the software supplied with camera's, scanners, etc was very good.  YMMV, but my experience hasn't been particularly inspiring

Renegade:
sadly our camera's don't do anything in the raw - that said, I probably should at least look at the supplied software :-[.  I've never felt that the software supplied with camera's, scanners, etc was very good.  YMMV, but my experience hasn't been particularly inspiring
-Target (September 16, 2013, 09:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hehehe! I didn't say anything about good! ;D But usually it's pretty easy and simple. What I have found useful on at least one occasion in the past is the adjustment software for NEF files.

But some cameras do have simple editing software. It's usually the kind of thing that takes an afternoon to write, then several months of creating an over-blown and ugly front end. :D But, they're simple, which is what some people want.

Anyways, good luck in finding decent replacements. (I'd likely go for The GIMP and a viewer - but that's just me.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version