topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:56 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: cloud|fleet - be the captain of your data  (Read 3327 times)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
cloud|fleet - be the captain of your data
« on: September 12, 2013, 02:51 PM »
cloud|fleet is an integrated option to purchase a configured box with self-hosted services installed, plug it into your router, and unplug from dependency on the cloud at large.

From the site:
3 steps to heaven

• Select your domain
  • Order cloud fleet box
  • Plug into router

Now you can send mails, take notes, store files from all your devices without relying on 3rd party services like Google, Evernote or Dropbox.

Looks like an interesting idea.

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: cloud|fleet - be the captain of your data
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 03:12 PM »
Very interesting, thanks for posting about it, I am interested to see where it goes. However, if I were them I would drop the 'distributed social networking' planned feature. That's a black hole.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 04:02 PM »
However, if I were them I would drop the 'distributed social networking' planned feature. That's a black hole.

They have to put the NSA plugin somewhere... :D

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 04:14 PM »
I also had not heard of that hardware platform.  Has anyone heard anything (good or bad) about it?

Vurbal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • Mostly harmless
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 04:49 PM »
I also had not heard of that hardware platform.  Has anyone heard anything (good or bad) about it?

Funny you should mention those. I ran across them a few days ago while I was researching ARM Linux appliance hardware. I can't really say much about them in particular but they're built around Freescale hardware which seems to be the trend in embedded Linux boxes. IIRC Freescale has primarily been an industrial controller company in the past which means they have lots of experience designing and building hardware on this scale.

The problem I would have with any sort of DIY ARM-based appliance at this point is it just doesn't make a lot of sense for me as an individual user. The second hand PC market is currently flooded with off lease Small Form Factor PCs which typically have dual core CPUs (either Core 2 Duo or AMD 64 x2), SATA, and both PCIe x1 and x16 slots. In fact that's what I'm planning to use to build a set-top box and 1 or more appliances for my home network.

For $50 or less I could get a HP SFF box with an 80GB HDD and onboard ethernet. Spend $40 - $50 on a nice Intel PCIe x1 wireless card with a high quality antenna and another few bucks on a second wired interface and I can turn it into a spectacular appliance for my home network.

If I get one of the newer models which are frequently sold with 200 - 300 GB hard drives all I need is a relatively cheap video card and remote plus a couple USB ATSC tuners (and maybe a sound card) and it should make a nice little DVR. SFF boxes are already decent enough looking to sit in the living room and since ATSC is MPEG-2 all the video card really needs to do is provide DVI and/or HDMI for the TV.

Now if I were building a business box I could see going with ARM but I'd be looking for something along the lines of a SOB (System On a Board) setup to build a cheap and low cost Beowulf cluster out of.
I learned to say the pledge of allegiance
Before they beat me bloody down at the station
They haven't got a word out of me since
I got a billion years probation
- The MC5

Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the danger of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of ''crackpot'' than the stigma of conformity.
- Thomas J. Watson, Sr

It's not rocket surgery.
- Me

I recommend reading through my Bio before responding to any of my posts. It could save both of us a lot of time and frustration.