ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Screenshot Captor

The Great Screenshot Captor Ruler Debate Thread

<< < (7/10) > >>

IainB:
OK, I understand now. I was mistaken.    :o
I thought I "needed" rulers because, as an inexpert user of SSC I didn't realise that I effectively already had rulers. The rulers are the sides of the actual cutting box/rectangle, whose dimensions are shown in the bottom of the SSC work area:

I had been trimming off the excess on one side of the page at a time - just like you might use scissors. If I had simply drawn a standard-sized rectangle around each page, and then shifted that rectangle around to align it with the contents of the page (within the rectangle), then I could have just cut all the outside excess on the edges off in one action, and each resulting cut page would be exactly the same size (length and breadth).
If I'd sat and thought about it, I could have done that the first time.    :-[
The only thing that I would like is to be able to copy the standard dimensions so as to somehow instantly create the same sized rectangle on each successive image to have its excess trimmed off. That would be less tedious and less error-prone than dragging the rectangle out to that fixed size each time.

How could one do that?

Hope this all makes sense.

mouser:
im still not entirely sure why your having to work with multiple images in the task you've described.. the Scrolling Capture function is flexible enough so that even if it can't guess margins and overlaps, it can still do a scrolling capture that you can manually tweak and fix..

The *SPLICE* tool in the SpecialFX2 menu is your friend in this case, designed to easily cut out strips.

However, back to your question:
The only thing that I would like is to be able to copy the standard dimensions so as to somehow instantly create the same sized rectangle on each successive image to have its excess trimmed off. That would be less tedious and less error-prone than dragging the rectangle out to that fixed size each time.
--- End quote ---

You've got two good options here:

* In the Edit -> Select menu you'll see an item labeled "Reselect Last region size" that can be used to reselect the same sized region as you previously selected; you can then move that region around if you need.
* You can also set your own custom region sizes any time you want on the MyFavorites option tab, and these are available in the Edit -> Select Preset Region menu and toolbar.
Does that help?

As for your pointing to the status bar showing the currently selected region size -- that's one of the things we have been discussing, whether that info might be displayed in much larger font with additional info, on an optional top panel that would make it easier to read.

Renegade:
Personally, I'd like more people to help light a fire under Renegade's butt to get him to finish this ruler. I have found it to be quite useful for just about anything I could need a ruler on my screen for.
-app103 (September 08, 2013, 06:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

That was a long time ago. I'll need to dig out the project, but it might be a good NANY project too. Every now and then I need to use it, and it has been quite helpful.

IainB:
I had 5 separate scrolling screenshots (images) - each is a shot of a different page of a scanned periodical.

I used the splice tool to cut out the sections of text duplication above and below the horizontal scrolling capture gaps, and then to cut off the extraneous bits on each of the 4 sides of each image.
If I hadn't been so unfamiliar with using SSC for this purpose, I would have gone about it differently, using a fixed-size rectangle applied to trim each of the 5 pages after I had spliced out the excess text.

You've got two good options here:

* In the Edit -> Select menu you'll see an item labeled "Reselect Last region size" that can be used to reselect the same sized region as you previously selected; you can then move that region around if you need.
* You can also set your own custom region sizes any time you want on the MyFavorites option tab, and these are available in the Edit -> Select Preset Region menu and toolbar.
* Does that help?
-mouser (September 10, 2013, 07:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes I think it will! Thankyou. I had not known that.

As for your pointing to the status bar showing the currently selected region size -- that's one of the things we have been discussing, whether that info might be displayed in much larger font with additional info, on an optional top panel that would make it easier to read.
-mouser (September 10, 2013, 07:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, I realise that now. I must apologise for entering the discussion at such a late stage and without having previously been following it particularly closely. I only entered it because I had actually been thinking "I need two rulers - one on each axis - here."  I was not aware of how best to use the "currently selected region size". Now I am.

That's sorted my problems, and it seems to have established that one doesn't need new rulers, since they are effectively already in place as the currently selected region size (rectangle).

The only remaining issue is probably that the little yellow circles (handles) for the sides of the rectangle, and the rectangle itself, do not behave consistently and sometimes play up a bit as I described previously.

Thanks again.

mouser:
The only remaining issue is probably that the little yellow circles (handles) for the sides of the rectangle, and the rectangle itself, do not behave consistently and sometimes play up a bit as I described previously.
--- End quote ---

if you can find a way to reliably reproduce this or any further clues about it, i'd like to hear (but on a different thread!).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version