topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:32 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: A School System goes NSA-Lite  (Read 5649 times)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
A School System goes NSA-Lite
« on: September 10, 2013, 03:45 PM »
...Big Brother just wants to help you!

CA School District Announces It's Doing Round-The-Clock Monitoring Of Its 13,000 Students' Social Media Activities

I knew all of that bullying propaganda was leading somewhere!

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: A School System goes NSA-Lite
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 05:03 PM »
I think this is going to whip around a bit quicker than the school thinks though.

The students can then make their own group that monitors the teacher's social media, and then we see how they like things on their own terms.

I actually wanna see that play out! 10k is *not* a lot of cash for someone to fund the reverse op for the students. (Fewer teachers).

I see this as a huge next step, because the NSA is so big and so hidden, we all sigh. But within a single school run by a chump company, that tail might taste mighty fine to the Ouroboros.

And then this becomes tailor made for a test case in court!

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 07:58 PM »
For the children's safety? Seriously?

Hmmm... Here are some good Facebook status updates for kids to start posting:

* Finalizing plans and diagrams to assassinate JFK today. Really excited about it!
* Deciding where to plant the last bomb with some FBI help, but still feeling kind of nervous about the whole thing...
* We rented a van today for the bomb despite my insistence that we get a cube van. Knocking out support columns at WTC needs more firepower I think.
* Not sure whether I should take the AK or the shotgun to school today. Heck. Might as well take both!
* Ventilation ducts in new meth lab installed successfully! We'll be up and running in no time.
* Found an abandoned house with a huge basement to begin constructing our sex-torture dungeon. Anyone have any stolen credit cards we can use to buy leather & chains?
* Man... hiding bodies is far harder than all those articles on the interwebs say.
* Tortured a cat to death today. Fantasized that it was my math teacher.
* Turned off the television set. Read a book.

I think the last one there is probably the most terrifying for the control freaks.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 08:42 PM »
^ You're devious... I love it! ;D

But this is a classic use of FUD to sow the ground for other uses.  You know... it's for the children.  Do I even need to post a link to that Carlin skit again?

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 09:30 PM »

But this is a classic use of FUD to sow the ground for other uses.  You know... it's for the children.  Do I even need to post a link to that Carlin skit again?

Heheeh! That is a great skit! ;D Might as well though! I'll let you do the honours!  :Thmbsup:

And +1 for FUD. This is nothing more than conditioning children to accept surveillance as a normal part of life. It's just a building block of the Panopticon. Whether or not they actually are purposeful in their intentions isn't particularly relevant. You don't get to say that the invention of iron wasn't an important building block for forging swords - it was, even if the first people to smelt iron didn't intend to create katanas.

Today we have a lot more information and can better predict the consequences of some actions. One of the problems there is that you have this massive denialist group that seems to always refuse to recognize the obvious. Sure, it's possible to use some of these tools responsibly, but given how things seem to work out today, I really have to wonder at just how deluded one must be to think that they aren't going to be abused. Heck, kids get thrown in handcuffs and arrested for eating their food into the shape of a gun now. Kids 5 and 6 years old are being arrested. Do we really want to traumatize children that badly that we put the kind of power that this thing is capable of into the hands of the sickos that think tasering a 13-year old girl is going to help?

"It's for the children" - automatic shut down for me. At that point I assume that whatever you're doing is going to be used to hurt kids, because reality seems to show that.

Just about anything you see now can be flipped backwards in your mind and you'll have a more accurate picture of what's really going on. e.g. The "Department of Defense" wages wars of aggression, and never defends.

Continuing a quote from the company's web site:

Our Mission ​
Provide more timely and relevant information to school administrators so that they can better intervene in the lives of children, and ultimately provide these kids with a more optimal chance to become productive citizens with positive peer connections.

Our Vision
By providing information as early as possible, intervention methodologies will be far more effective when bullying or other isolating events occur.

This is a classic problem-reaction-solution in action.

Problem: People don't raise their kids to have any respect for others.
Reaction: Oh, somebody must do something.
Solution: Panopticon.

Wouldn't a better solution be to address the underlying issues that prevent people from raising their kids with respect for others? Perhaps a society where both parents work 2 jobs and the kids are left alone isn't really such a great idea? Maybe it's better to have a society where the economy is designed to allow the general public to create wealth so that a single income is enough to support a family? Perhaps having a parent at home to raise children isn't such a horrible idea?

But nope.

This is just another example of how our sick and decaying society seeks to solve symptoms rather than address underlying root causes. You can see this same scenario played out on a thousand different stages with different actors and different props. But underlying story is always the same.

When you start to look at some of these "plays" and examine the "solutions", you can often see how the solutions only make things worse. I'd rant a bit about some specific examples, but they're off-topic, and I've already abstracted what I see as a core problem with this in 2 ways - the specifics to this case, and the general abstraction of the Hegelian dialectic in action.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 09:44 PM »
Anytime you hear "It's for the children", listen to, or remember this: http://www.ebaumswor...m/audio/play/704824/

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 05:32 AM »
The Peoples Rebublick of California has always had that weird tendency to oscillate between the counter-culture and the police state mindset. One week it's talking like Michael Murphy. The next week - Joe Friday.

And I think TaoP's prediction it's going to whip around rather quickly is spot on. Especially since California can change its political posture quicker than a frightened chameleon can swap colors, and the CA court system still has enough anti-establishment spleen left over from the 60s to not let this nonsense go very far before putting a stop to it.

At the root, I think half these "initiatives" by public school administrators (who or NOT educators) are little more than cynical attempts at grandstanding and to to get some advance CYA in play.

Positing a completely abusive and unworkable "solution" to a "problem" that is doomed to be overruled is the perfect excuse. Because now, should anything happen, the school administration can whine "See? We soooo tried to do something to protect the children!!! But we were overruled by those nasty judges who just don't understand the challenges facing parents who want their children educated - but can't be bothered to do anything themselves to help raise them. IT'S NOT OUR FAULT!"
 :-\

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 06:46 AM »
^^ I guess that's what you get when it's a prerequisite that someone be found to blame. :(

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2013, 02:59 PM »
Positing a completely abusive and unworkable "solution" to a "problem" that is doomed to be overruled is the perfect excuse. Because now, should anything happen, the school administration can whine "See? We soooo tried to do something to protect the children!!! But we were overruled by those nasty judges who just don't understand the challenges facing parents who want their children educated - but can't be bothered to do anything themselves to help raise them. IT'S NOT OUR FAULT!"

This.  :mad:

Every.
Damn.
Time.  
:wallbash:

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2013, 05:46 PM »

Heh I actually don't know the skit!  :tellme:

But it's yet more ammo if I ever get the nerve to spend 88 hours on a visual graphic, it will be a list-based "let's strip new rights today" generator. Mad Libs for Orwell.

And Ren no, it's not safety, it's "safety". you of course know the difference. But between social media and this and the copyright gang and 7 others, the Powers are getting bolder. They always did mean crap, but they at least sorta saved it for the real criminals.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2013, 06:07 PM »
Heh I actually don't know the skit!  :tellme:

Everyone needs to listen to this... and play it when they say that old chestnut, "It's for the children"

http://www.ebaumswor...m/audio/play/704824/