topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:32 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Is 'the cloud' becoming the 'SkyNet'?  (Read 7483 times)

mitzevo

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Control is power
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Is 'the cloud' becoming the 'SkyNet'?
« on: September 09, 2013, 09:19 AM »
I was just thinking, pondering really, about the cloud and what it could become in the not so distant future 8 ~ 16 years from now.

We (well some of us) store a lot of our data in/on(?) the cloud -- a giant web/network of computers, servers, and other hardware devices.

If we continue to store all of our information; sort (tag, categorize, prioritize, etc) it, and store it on "the cloud" / internet, other than our own brains/memory, this makes our data easily "navigate-able" or understandable by humans and also computers/AI who somehow gets access to this data.)

More and more people are getting online each year, and more and more people are buying and using smartphones -- not only are we storing all types of data in the cloud, we are also quite easily located via our constant connections to the network, the grid, the overture, the omnivore, the echolon, yadda yadda ya.

We should be careful how well we organize our data. It's basically providing a roadmap to who ever is access that data into how you think and operate.

What do you think? I'm interested in hearing other peoples thoughts and opinions on this matter.

Could the cloud (i.e., cloud branded services) eventually evolve into interconnected clouds, which would them finally form the overall, mega ultimate cloudnet/skynet?

SkyDrive anyone?  ;D

The clock is running. Make the most of today. Time waits for no man. Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 09:31 AM by mitzevo »

mitzevo

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Control is power
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Is 'the cloud' becoming the 'SkyNet'?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 09:26 AM »
sorry, forgot something pretty intriguing: the grid, the matrix, ...
The clock is running. Make the most of today. Time waits for no man. Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 09:49 AM »
I wouldn't worry about an AI going all postal on the planet quite yet.

But I certainly wouldn't put much faith in the cloud the way things are now. It's nothing about the technology, but entirely about how it is being used/abused. It's not the tool - it's the people wielding the tool that is the cause for concern.

Right now the way companies and governments operate, it's borderline insane to trust them with any information that they don't absolutely 110% need in order to provide you with some service.

Big Data now is far bigger than most people realise. It's pretty far into the dangerous zone now.

When your health insurance provider suddenly hikes your premiums because they got information from the super market that you shop at because you use the super market's loyalty card, or through some other means, well, this is worrisome. (Please forgive any understatement on my part.)
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 10:06 AM »
Nothing so dramatic.

More like the imposition of an arbitrary and unrestrained automated kennel keeper who drags its dogs around on a very short leash, and punishes with impunity any signs of disobedience or spirit.

If it succeeds, it will be the first step in the eradication of what most of us think it means to be human. The high price paid in exchange for the imagined peace and safety of the beehive or termite colony.

Welcome insects! Your self-appointed overlords have been expecting you.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 10:56 AM »
Nothing so dramatic.

More like the imposition of an arbitrary and unrestrained automated kennel keeper who drags its dogs around on a very short leash, and punishes with impunity any signs of disobedience or spirit.

If it succeeds, it will be the first step in the eradication of what most of us think it means to be human. The high price paid in exchange for the imagined peace and safety of the beehive or termite colony.

Hahahaha~! And here I thought *I* was the resident "conspiracy theorist" here at DC~! ;D  :Thmbsup:

(For the record, I think you're an optimist! :P )

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 11:06 AM »
I wouldn't worry about an AI going all postal on the planet quite yet.

Right, the real machines are too late. But as 40 eludes to above Artificial Intelligence doesn't have to mean it a physical nuts and bolts machine. There are plenty of other "Artificially" Intelligent "machines" out there that are already in position to strike.

-------------------------------------//---------------------

@40hz - All Hail Lord bizz-buzz-buzz! ;)

...So this is how democracy dies...to thunderous applause.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 12:02 PM »
Nothing so dramatic.

Hahahaha~! And here I thought *I* was the resident "conspiracy theorist" here at DC~! ;D  :Thmbsup:

(For the record, I think you're an optimist! :P )

Oh...I'm up on most of the conspiracy theories out there even if I don't much credit 99.9% of them. And I've probably been responsible for the deliberate propagation of more than a few back in my counter-culture days. Operation Mindf***, y'know? All Hail Discordia! Kallisti! ;D

Optimist/Pessimist? Hmm...

"The words of the foolish, and the words of the wise, look both the same to Discordia's eyes."

sss.jpg

8) ;) :Thmbsup:

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 12:59 PM »
...So this is how democracy dies...to thunderous applause.

I always did like that quote.  It's one of the only good pieces of dialogue that Lucas has ever written.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 01:18 PM »
The "Cloud" is sorta a Big Mainframe in the sky.

I'd put bets on the NSA's surveillance getting out of control first! Because that actively *is* processing data with intent to label people as Bad People. So then one too many automated efficiencies later...

Boom!

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2013, 03:56 PM »
I have read recent articles stating that "cloud" providers stand to lose $35 billion because of the Snowden releases. (Talk about shooting the messenger!)

I want to know - who the hell makes up these estimates?! I spent many years preparing financial estimates and I know that one was pulled directly out of someone's rectum!   :o

Jim

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2013, 07:17 PM »
I spent many years preparing financial estimates and I know that one was pulled directly out of someone's rectum!

+1! :Thmbsup: That makes two of us. 8)

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2013, 06:54 AM »
I want to know - who the hell makes up these estimates?! I spent many years preparing financial estimates and I know that one was pulled directly out of someone's rectum!

Chalk it up to spin. They're just trying to create the appearance of economical loss/damage to soften the grassroots support for Snowden's shenanigans. Since the "National Security" angle hasn't sold worth a damn, they're switching to a think of the children approach. Borrowing a page from the media mafia's play book they are.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2013, 12:00 AM »
I don't know enough about the market size there to comment. But, it being total BS would be pretty much in line with everything else I read in the MSM.