ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Short Sell Nokia NOW! :P

(1/2) > >>

Renegade:
One of everyone's favourite companies to dis has just bought Nokia:

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/09/02/microsoft-buying-nokias-_n_3858156.html?utm_hp_ref=tw

Time to short sell Nokia and make a fortune~! :P ;D

Microsoft buying Nokia's devices and services business, will license patents for about $7.2B

Microsoft says it is buying Nokia's devices and services business, and getting access to the company's patents, for a total of 5.44 billion euros ($7.2 billion) in an effort to expand its share of the smartphone market.

Nokia confirmed the deal in a joint news release from the two companies Monday night.

In the statement, Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer says the deal will bring Nokia's capability and talent in hardware design, engineering, manufacturing, sales, marketing and distribution to Microsoft.
--- End quote ---

Does anyone see this ending well? :P

Ok, jokes aside, I really don't know what this will mean for the mobile market. It could very well be a good thing. I guess it all depends on Google and Microsoft though, as we know that there's not a snowball's hope in Hell of Apple doing anything good for people. Though they did sign up with the NSA to spy on people later than the other 2... oh cripes - we're hosed! :P

Edvard:
Aw, jeez.  Maybe they should read their own history.  Remember the last time they took a decent phone and turned it into crap?   :-\

Vurbal:
One of everyone's favourite companies to dis has just bought Nokia:

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/09/02/microsoft-buying-nokias-_n_3858156.html?utm_hp_ref=tw

Time to short sell Nokia and make a fortune~! :P ;D

Microsoft buying Nokia's devices and services business, will license patents for about $7.2B

Microsoft says it is buying Nokia's devices and services business, and getting access to the company's patents, for a total of 5.44 billion euros ($7.2 billion) in an effort to expand its share of the smartphone market.

Nokia confirmed the deal in a joint news release from the two companies Monday night.

In the statement, Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer says the deal will bring Nokia's capability and talent in hardware design, engineering, manufacturing, sales, marketing and distribution to Microsoft.
--- End quote ---

Does anyone see this ending well? :P
-Renegade (September 04, 2013, 01:47 AM)
--- End quote ---

What's most interesting is the possibility of Stephen Elop becoming Microsoft's new CEO. Some people have alleged this buyout was his plan all along and I'm not entirely convinced they're wrong.

The timing of the announcement essentially killed both Symbian and MeeGo. That wouldn't be particularly odd except for the fact it was shortly before Nokia's last Symbian phone went on sale and more than a year before the first Nokia Windows Phone. Combine that with Elop's previous stint as a Microsoft exec and his apparent future as their CEO and it has the stink of corruption at the very least.

Ok, jokes aside, I really don't know what this will mean for the mobile market. It could very well be a good thing. I guess it all depends on Google and Microsoft though, as we know that there's not a snowball's hope in Hell of Apple doing anything good for people. Though they did sign up with the NSA to spy on people later than the other 2... oh cripes - we're hosed! :P

--- End quote ---

I wouldn't be so quick to accuse Google of "signing up" with the NSA. They were the first company to start publishing data on government data requests and also the ones who pushed the government to let them provide at least general information about National Security Letters. In fact back in March, after a judge in California ruled NSL's illegal, they immediately filed a motion challenging 19 orders they had recently received.

TaoPhoenix:
But weren't the reasons Steve Ballmer is getting ditched, is that he "didn't get" the new scene? So is Trojan Horsing Nokia really the answer to "leadership"?! So I guess I was mildly interested in who they picked for new CEO, but I guess I'd be a bit dismayed if it was Steven Elop!

40hz:
Maybe the board decided Ballmer needed to pursue the patent troll strategy a little more aggressively than he had.

Who needs real innovation when you can just claim everybody else's work as your own through the generosity of some clueless USPTO examiner?

From ArsTechinica:

Nokia confirms: Patent attacks may continue after Microsoft purchase
Patents remain with Nokia, meaning Android handset makers may get sued twice.

by Joe Mullin - Sept 3 2013, 10:52pm EDT

There's something notable missing from Microsoft's $7.1 billion purchase of Nokia's phone business yesterday—the company's giant patent portfolio.

As Nokia's cell phone business declined, it started filing patent lawsuits. Nokia was unafraid to sue giant competitors like RIM and Apple. The Finnish company's aggression was one of the key factors that ended the detente between tech companies who used to avoid patent spats for fear it would only lead to "mutually assured destruction."

Microsoft paid billions for a license to Nokia's patents, but the company has made explicit that Nokia still owns the patents. The genius of this move is that it allows Microsoft to double down on its patent war with Android. Microsoft boasts that the majority of Android phones sold worldwide have already paid for a license to Microsoft patents. By 2011, patent licensing revenue exceeded Microsoft's revenue from Windows Phone.
--- End quote ---

Same old same old...but now it's even 'better.' :-\

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version