topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 8:37 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Life after Cliptrakker  (Read 8072 times)

Subsim

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Life after Cliptrakker
« on: November 07, 2013, 09:42 AM »
So, since 1999 or so I have relying on Cliptrakker, a shareware app that I gladly paid for. Since my Windows 7 laptop won't run it, and it is no longer supported  :( I have been looking for a replacement and arrived at Clipboard Help+Spell.  Two things that got my attention, a search function (which Cliptrakker did not have and was needed) and the really good video explaining how the features and how the app works.

So, far, so good. I miss the familiar tabbed icon format of Cliptrakker but other than that, Clipboard Help+Spell is working well for me.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 09:46 AM by Subsim, Reason: found how to donate »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Life after Cliptrakker
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 12:00 PM »
Welcome, Subsim, and thank you for posting.

Could you tell us a little bit more about the idea of a "tabbed icon format" ?

Subsim

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 10:24 PM »
It's what I call the layout, sort of resembles tabbed browsers.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 03:09 AM »
So the tabs would be pretty close to the group list on the left -- I don't see any compelling benefit of tabs.

But the grid view does look like it could be a nice alternative way to view images..

Subsim

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 02:01 PM »
Yes, I like the grid view with the thumbnails, but your system is great,   :Thmbsup:   I am getting used to the change.  

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 03:26 PM »
One thing worth noting is that when CHS captures images, it stores the actual images as normal files in a directory organized by date.  You can visit the image directory from the menu "File -> Visit Clip Image Directory" and browse images using your favorite image browser/gallery/etc.

Subsim

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 08:01 AM »
Hey, that's a great way to manage images, cool, thanks. :D

Is there a way to change the ID of a clip, so I can rearrange them?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2013, 09:01 AM »
There is a column called "Ordering" on all clips -- you can change this to rearrange the ordering of clips.

Subsim

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2013, 11:15 AM »
Better and better.

Subsim

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2013, 11:03 AM »
Ok, several weeks since I migrated to CHS, I am really loving it. Some obervations/questions:

Is there an Undo button? I don't see one, nor does Undo appear in the Edit dropdown. I searched this forum, does Ctrl-Z work as an undo command? I have tried it and it appears to.

Any time I make an addition or change to a clip in the bottom pane, it does not require "saving" the clip, the change just goes in without any additional moves by me. Is that by design?

Last, when I am switching from an app such as vBulletin or Word, and CHS, it seems that CHS does not return in the place where I was working. For example: if I am C&Ping from part of a clip in the bottom pane, when I go to Word and paste it, then back to CHS, sometimes I am no longer in that part of the clip, or even the same clip.

Thanks for the feedback!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2013, 11:18 AM »
Ok, several weeks since I migrated to CHS, I am really loving it.

glad to hear it!

Any time I make an addition or change to a clip in the bottom pane, it does not require "saving" the clip, the change just goes in without any additional moves by me. Is that by design?

that is by design, though i can understand why it might give one pause.. Ctrl+Z does work within that memo/edit box, but only while you are in it, not if you change clips and come back.

it doesn't have to be that way -- it might be nice to have an option to let you switch to an explicit save required mode of operation.  my basic thinking was that editing clips was going to be rare enough that it didn't really matter, but it's something to think about.

Last, when I am switching from an app such as vBulletin or Word, and CHS, it seems that CHS does not return in the place where I was working. For example: if I am C&Ping from part of a clip in the bottom pane, when I go to Word and paste it, then back to CHS, sometimes I am no longer in that part of the clip, or even the same clip.

you should stay on that clip, UNLESS a new clip is captured, in which case CHS is want to switch to the new clip..

however, i think CHS does make one mistake, which is that if you are not in the NEW group, when a new clip is captured it will still go to the end of the clip list in whatever group you were in, which is pointless.

can you confirm this is the behavior you are talking about?  if so, i'll put an item on my todo list about fixing that.

Subsim

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2013, 07:47 AM »
Hi, sorry about the delay in responding.

I routinely make edits to saved clips, adding material and often editing existing clips. For example, I have a clip called "Member comments" where I add the occasional comment from members of the site that I can use at the end of the year in our Christmas message. So, when I see a new comment on the forum, I will copy it and paste it into the clip.

I will try to make notes and test the copy and paste characteristics, see if I can describe it better.

BTW, there appears to be a limit to how much data a clip can hold, is that a setting I can adjust?

thanks