topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:52 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: DONE: Change (sub) folder(s) date based on newest/oldest file in the folder  (Read 136673 times)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
^Great job, thanks :Thmbsup:

I linked to app and instructions in the dopus thread: Configuring Directory Opus for Fun and Profit

Minor correction to the text dcwul62 (with apologies for pestering you!):

7. Enter title: Adjust Timestamp (A),
click on Drop down menu (B)
select "Run an Opus function (not supported in Explorer), (C)
click on "OK" (D)

B/C are incorrect (both are B there - C is actually missing). It should read:

7. Enter title: Adjust Timestamp (A),
click on Drop down menu & select "Run an Opus function (not supported in Explorer), (B)
click on Commands and select Adjust Timestamp (C)
click on "OK" (D)

Tom

dcwul62

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Yep, corrected.. thanks.
The button thing is much easier though. Ws not aware of the possibility.
=

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
frankly . . . I did not know about this...
this is, or course, much easier!  :Thmbsup:

Well someone wanted a context menu and at the time I didn't know they were using DOpus - so it just continued that way.  :)

I've been having a play with VB 2010, there's a nice example of a context menu handler since only one executable would be required then ... but definitely don't hold your breath since the BASIC I learnt bears no resemblance to this thing.

dcwul62

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
@4wd

Just want to say: I am very happy with the tool/button.

I have used this numerous times already. It is really great!
Frankly, I think there is nothing much to improve really.

Maybe, maybe . . . just one minor 'tweak' - although it could be difficult to implement.

Personally, in 99% of the cases, I always redate after newest file in the folder.
Actually, I've never used renaming after the oldest except for testing purposes only.

The button (or context menu), works fine right now.
If you donot wish to make any changes, believe me, I understand. Then forget the below.

Still curious...?? :D

Then I have two suggestions:

1) when updating folder date, would it not be possible to:
a) update two or all dates at the same time?  
e.g. modified/created, or 'all'  
(at least often modified/created go 'hand-in-hand', i.e. they are both about the same date)

2) have a kind of default setting added  
This to come up when clicking on the button and no(!) folders are selected.
Right now, when clicking on the button and NO folders are selected... nothing happens - rightfully so.

Maybe in thát case
a) the button-window to pup up - with greyed out [Exec All] [Exec]-buttons
b) users can then 'set' things (e.g. select 'All' and 'Newest')  and click on 'save' so those are then 'defaulted'
c) in future when redating there the pop-up window will not appear anymore, i.e. folder is redated as per settings.

BUT.. again, maybe this is too complicated, in which case, drop the idea... okay?

=
SnagIt-13092013 091421.png
=
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 08:36 AM by dcwul62 »

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Maybe in thát case
a) the button-window to pup up - with greyed out [Exec All] [Exec]-buttons
b) users can then 'set' things (e.g. select 'All' and 'Newest')  and click on 'save' so those are then 'defaulted'
c) in future when redating there the pop-up window will not appear anymore, i.e. folder is redated as per settings.

Rather than add All, I'll just change the radio buttons to checkboxes and let you select whatever combination you want.

I wondered how long it would take for someone to ask for a Save button  ;D

I'll see what I can do.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Haven't forgotten this, just busy with other things.

Explorer version works, rather than have a save button it just saves/reloads the last configuration used.

Probably get it done in about a week - off the Sydney to watch the RAN 100th anniversary:)

dcwul62

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
@4wd - sorry for the late reply.
Q: where can I find the latest version of this tool?

2nd Q: would it be possible to update
Created/Modified/Last Accessed date of a file, in 1 step, based on the oldest date of the three.

Example
filexyz.jpg has a created date 01-06-2013
modified date: 01-07-2013
last accessed date: 01-07-2013

(dd-mm-yyyy)

Now, in 1 go, redate all to 01-06-2013

SnagIt-09102013 170414.pngDONE: Change (sub) folder(s) date based on newest/oldest file in the folder

=

SnagIt-09102013 170409.pngDONE: Change (sub) folder(s) date based on newest/oldest file in the folder

=

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
@4wd - sorry for the late reply.
Q: where can I find the latest version of this tool?

When it's finished, I've got the Explorer version done, still got to do the file manager version, (for DOpus, etc) - just have to stop playing Borderlands 2 long enough to do it  ;)

2nd Q: would it be possible to update
Created/Modified/Last Accessed date of a file, in 1 step, based on the oldest date of the three.

Err...the program updates Folder dates based on the oldest/newest file date within that folder - so I'm not sure what you're after here.

dcwul62

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Yes, you are right - folder based. I was a bit 'hoping' it would also handle files  ;)
And
Yes.. I agree, that has nót been the intention, from the start, so, this is by  no   means meant as criticism!
Don't get me wrong, okay?

I wonder, would you not be interested in 'evolving' ('expanding')  your tool to a complete attribute changer?
A kind of "File&Folder Attribute Changer" or something like that.

Just asking...

a) (mass) redate selected files created/modified/last accessed date according to the oldest date in the properties
b) (mass) redate selected files created/modified/last accessed date as per EXIF
c) (mass) redate selected files created/modified/last accessed from date from filenames
d) (mass) update selected files attributes

Up front: IF, rpt IF... item (a) is at all possible (I really don't know).

I have looked around and found many 'Attribute Changers', but none of them are really complete, meaning to say that
they can do all above and also update folder timestamp, which setfoldate can right now.

Anyway, it is just an idea.

Am using setfoldate (from within Opus) very often!
=

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
So something like BulkFileChanger with a couple of extras.

Item (a) is easy since AutoIt quite correctly uses universal date/time format when fetching file/folder dates which means the oldest date/time is always the lowest number - which makes comparisons rather easy: If A < B Then UseA()

(b) EXIF data is easy.

(c) would be the most fiddly, since only sane people, (like myself), use universal date in filenames it involves incorporating a bit of filename matching - and RegEx is the easiest for that.  The caveat being no one wants to learn how to use RegEx thus making the programmers job a bit harder.  But when the user is given a choice between RegEx or nothing ...  ;)

(d) Attributes are easy.

All-in-all, the functions behind the GUI are reasonably easy - the hardest part will be the GUI and all its fiddly crap  ;D

I'll look into it but don't expect anything anytime soon as I expect to be going interstate for a month or more RSN.

EDIT: SetFolDate 0.3.1.0 is up there.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 11:10 PM by 4wd »

dcwul62

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hello again,
Frankly, I have not looked at BulkFileChanger because one element was missing/is missing on the printscreen of Nirsoft.
However, it is available in the real version: copy from ... options - being a major improvement.

=
Nirsoft BulkFileChanger v1.25.jpgDONE: Change (sub) folder(s) date based on newest/oldest file in the folder
=

It -sofar- has not an option to copy from 'oldest' date-time.

Also I am not sure how to 'incorporate' this in Opus, i.e. I would select one or more files, then hit a F-button, or a toolbar button, then the bulkchanger to be launched -with- the selected file(s), preferrably even with the action window opened, like in the above example.

as for item -c-
Yes, that is a complicated one, I know. I have thought about this already a few times.
Regretfully I could not come with any other solution that having the formats in a kind of .ini or .cfg file or .txt file.
A txt file with various possible layouts

from: filename dd-mm-yyyy hhmmss.ext (.+)(\d{2})-(\d{2})-(\d{4}) (\d{6})\.\.(\w{2,4})
from: filename ddmmyyyy hhmmss.ext (.+)(\d{2})(\d{2})(\d{4}) (\d{6})\.\.(\w{2,4})
from: filename ddmmyy hhmmss.ext (.+)(\d{2})(\d{2})(\d{2}) (\d{6})\.\.(\w{2,4})
from: filename yyyy-mm-dd hhmmss.ext (.+)(\d{4})-(\d{2})-(\d{2}) (\d{6})\.\.(\w{2,4})

and so on.

thanks
=

dcwul62

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Basically it would be everything in the BulkFileChanger stuff,

plús:

Item [Dates]
New, tag/untag option: [X] Apply to all files and folders in subfolders

Item [File Attributes]
same as above

Opus has this feature for attributes, but has no   "Copy from ... "

I have not found any free attribute changers that can do this.

=
SnagIt-12102013 113534.pngDONE: Change (sub) folder(s) date based on newest/oldest file in the folder
=

dcwul62

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
@4wd:

Maybe have two folders in the zip file
\Windows Explorer
\Directory Opus

Add textfile

"
There are two executables in the archive, one for Windows Explorer, (SetFolDate.exe), and one for file managers, (SetFolDateFM.exe) - they are not interchangeable.
To install the Explorer version, copy SetFolDate.exe it where you want it to reside and run it.  Click Install and it will be added to the context menu for folders - Done!
"

For Directory Opus - maybe include attached PDF

Maybe add version?

Keep up the good work!
=

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
@4wd:

Maybe have two folders in the zip file
\Windows Explorer
\Directory Opus

Add textfile

For Directory Opus - maybe include attached PDF

Done! Thanks - I think you should be made official DC doc writer  ;D

Maybe add version? (see attachment in previous post)
Keep up the good work!

Or you could right-click Properties->Details  ;)

dcwul62

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Are you still considering this?

I have tried out many attribute changers, but fact is, none them is complete.

The tool would combine a number of features:
the existing FolderDate tool
+
[new] file attribute changes

something like:
=
AttributeChange-Copy Date-Time from-20102013 151206.pngDONE: Change (sub) folder(s) date based on newest/oldest file in the folder
=

It doesn't look nice - I simply put a few things together.

=

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Are you still considering this?

Still thinking about it - I had thoughts about the interface but have been a bit busy around the property, (bushfire season coming up :) ).

dcwul62

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Ah yeah, take good care of yourself! More important than some file attribute changer  :)

The bushfires in Queensland are on tv here. Seems to be the biggest ones in 40 years, they say.
Looks like they are a yearly occurrence, but started early this time. Queensland is pretty hot (37 degr c I think)
Where you live (at least are Scoresby) daytime temperature is about 18-20 I think.

=

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The bushfires in Queensland are on tv here. Seems to be the biggest ones in 40 years, they say.

I think you mean New South Wales: Emergency Info NSW

2013-10-21 18_34_35-Emergency Information — New South Wales - Pale Moon.pngDONE: Change (sub) folder(s) date based on newest/oldest file in the folder

Where you live (at least are Scoresby) daytime temperature is about 18-20 I think.

That's my ISP interconnect probably, I'm in the Dandenong Rangesw - one of Victoria's bushfire prone areas.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 02:39 AM by 4wd »

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Just playing around with the GUI atm:

2013-10-31 16_54_14-Attribute Mangler v0.0.0.2 WIP.pngDONE: Change (sub) folder(s) date based on newest/oldest file in the folder

dcwul62

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi 4wd - up front - I am really sorry to get back to you only now.
This is because, one way or the other, I did not get a notification of your last post.
So I still had in mind your:  "Still thinking about it" (oct.21) and all the bushfires out there - so I assumed the idea gradually kind of moved downwards on your 'prioritylist' so to say.
Today, I thought I would check your ideas on this and noticed that you started out developing GUI already!

Did you think of a name? Something like the "Ultimate Attribute Changer"   (UAC)  :) :)

There are a lot of attribute changers out there, but product X is missing things product Y is offering, v.v.

Examples
a. a GUI that shows current dates (created/modified/last accessed) and preview of changes before applying
b. an easy way to synchronize dates after created, or modified, or last accessed
c. a randomize dates option: so, you can updated modified dates with randomized dates and times using  a certain period
d. add your update folderdates of course
e. add date-time (userdefined format) to filenames (not really a 'attribute changer'-thing, but maybe it can be added)
f. update modified dates after dates  or  dates/times  in filename  (a difficult one, I know, am not sure if it is possible, there are a lot of combinations)

Maybe also add
- option to simulate?
and/or
- log changes, so users can easily 'undo' changes

Keep up the good work!

=

dcwul62

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Just curious to know... any developments?

dcwul62

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Also . . . .
* Donot know if it is possible at all *

Say, you have
1) a folder containing some files
2) the folderdate is correct (as per newest file in that folder) e.g. name: "Taxes 2008"   folderdate: 01-01-2008
3) you create a new folder x:\2008
4) that folder has a today's date
5) you move "Taxes 2008" to x:\2008
6) now you wish to have folder x:\2008 to have the newest date of the -folders-  in x:\2008

How to do that?

Thanks
=

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Just curious to know... any developments?

Kind of on the back burner, no real developments since playing with a GUI other than you can drag'n'drop files/folders onto it.

I'm nothing if not an accomplished procrastinator ... just ask my wife  ;)

Did you think of a name? Something like the "Ultimate Attribute Changer"   (UAC)  :) :)

I went with Attribute Mangler, as soon as you write Ultimate anything someone wants to surpass it.  Besides, if I get something wrong it will mangle.

Examples
a. a GUI that shows current dates (created/modified/last accessed) and preview of changes before applying
b. an easy way to synchronize dates after created, or modified, or last accessed
c. a randomize dates option: so, you can updated modified dates with randomized dates and times using  a certain period
d. add your update folderdates of course
e. add date-time (userdefined format) to filenames (not really a 'attribute changer'-thing, but maybe it can be added)
f. update modified dates after dates  or  dates/times  in filename  (a difficult one, I know, am not sure if it is possible, there are a lot of combinations)

Maybe also add
- option to simulate?
and/or
- log changes, so users can easily 'undo' changes

You keep adding things to the list, I have to keep modifying the GUI ;D

* Donot know if it is possible at all *

You mean in SetFolDate?

Easy enough to add - although technically for recursion you'd have to start at the deepest level and work forward so the dates propagate correctly.  I'll have a look at it.

dcwul62

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Yes, indeed, I meant the setfoldate (your last question)

Yes, adding things may indeed result in changing the GUI.
I guess that's a kind of thing happening when developing a program :)
It tends to change a lot in the beginning.

well, keeping our fingers crossed for what you will be coming up with one day.

Keep up the good work!

=

dcwul62

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hello again,
Just curious to know, are there any developments?
Thanks
=