ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Finished Programs

DONE: Change (sub) folder(s) date based on newest/oldest file in the folder

<< < (4/32) > >>

tomos:
But pls 4wd / Mouser donot get mad, okay?   :)-dcwul62 (August 25, 2013, 10:38 AM)
--- End quote ---

No worries! - he's only mad with the anti-virus companies cause they dont give a, cause they dont, eh, care enough - leading to thousands of false-positives.

dcwul62:
@4wd - thanks again. All clear. I did some testing.
The tool is very nice! It helps me a lot, really.

I cannot think of any real improvements.

1) I think it is defaulted to 'Newest' - so when 'Oldest' is selected for one specific folder, the redating of the next folder will be again based on 'Newest', which is perfect (and normal)

2) As far as I can see, it can handle single folders, in Explorer's right window panel.
This means:
- it will not work on 'nested' folders
- and also when selecting a folder in the left window panel (tree).
Maybe this could be an additional 'Note' to the tool (leave that to you)

3) for testing purposes I created a folder1, with 4 subfolders, i.e. upto subfolder5
One way or the other on subfolder5 it does not work.
I know, so many subfolders, it will hardly happen, I created it for testing purposes only.

Tried with another folder under subfolder5  (i.e. subfolder6) but that does not do it either.
I cud redate to 'oldest' date for folders1,2,3,4 and back to newest, no problem.

best regards

=

=

4wd:
I think you've come up against the "path too long" problem, should be able to get around it hopefully - I'll see what I can come up with.

dcwul62:
Yep!

You are so right!
280 characters or something.
Didn't think of it...  :-[

Wish I hadn't posted that last thing.
Made me look so silly.
I didn't write you anything, right?  :)

=

4wd:
OK, this is interesting, it looks like Windows takes care of long paths by itself, (Win 7 x64), eg.

Here's a path I made that has in excess of 280 characters:

Here's the argument passed to SetFolDate:

Windows has used 8.3 naming (xxxxxx~1) to pass the argument, the number at the end (|143) says it's only 143 characters long.

This leads me to suspect the problem lies in the command I use to set the date.  I'll be able to get around that easily enough by changing directory before issuing the command.

Back to the drawing board  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version