ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

SourceForge getting some hate

(1/1)

mouser:
Sourceforge has been angering some developers lately (ask Gothic here on the dc forum)..

So I used to think the folks at SourceForge were just overworked and under-appreciated. They've worked really hard recently to show me this is not the case. Sure, it's a "free" service, but it's there to sell their premium services, and they get a lot of exposure being the place to go for open-source development.
They've been having growing pains for a while; a few months ago, they had a major CVS outage. Open-source development the world around ground to a standstill for days while they worked to get hardware up. Since then, they've been planning on transitioning folks to subversion, and to a new CVS infrastructure. Did I mention that in the meantime, the anonymous CVS has been frozen and out-of-date since March? This outage was only "repaired" for developers; user access has been broken all this time.

--- End quote ---

http://ranger.befunk.com/blog/archives/000680.html

from digg.com

Gothi[c]:
Yeah, cvs has been broken for waaay to long now. They seem to forget that many many things depend on their cvs. Many OpenSource projects develop through cvs, and for many users it cuts off their 'cutting edge' version downloads. Some linux distributions ( like gentoo ) automatically connect to sourceforge's cvs to install certain software ( some emerge's are cvs only ). All this is broken now. It's a bit disastrous. I hope they fix it soon. But when it's fixed it will be better than before, hopefully.

housetier:
The repos have changed too: for xchat2 it is now xchat.cvs.sf.net, as I found out just today. Luckily, I don't get too many stuff from sf.net anymore.

f0dder:
Well, subversion *does* seem nicer than CVS, but... this sounds eeky. Shows that it's dangerous to depend on one source, even if their intentions seem(ed) good.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version