topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 5:40 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: SourceForge getting some hate  (Read 6116 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
SourceForge getting some hate
« on: May 11, 2006, 08:27 AM »
Sourceforge has been angering some developers lately (ask Gothic here on the dc forum)..

So I used to think the folks at SourceForge were just overworked and under-appreciated. They've worked really hard recently to show me this is not the case. Sure, it's a "free" service, but it's there to sell their premium services, and they get a lot of exposure being the place to go for open-source development.
They've been having growing pains for a while; a few months ago, they had a major CVS outage. Open-source development the world around ground to a standstill for days while they worked to get hardware up. Since then, they've been planning on transitioning folks to subversion, and to a new CVS infrastructure. Did I mention that in the meantime, the anonymous CVS has been frozen and out-of-date since March? This outage was only "repaired" for developers; user access has been broken all this time.

from digg.com

Gothi[c]

• DC Server Admin
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • linkerror
    • Donate to Member
Re: SourceForge getting some hate
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2006, 03:02 PM »
Yeah, cvs has been broken for waaay to long now. They seem to forget that many many things depend on their cvs. Many OpenSource projects develop through cvs, and for many users it cuts off their 'cutting edge' version downloads. Some linux distributions ( like gentoo ) automatically connect to sourceforge's cvs to install certain software ( some emerge's are cvs only ). All this is broken now. It's a bit disastrous. I hope they fix it soon. But when it's fixed it will be better than before, hopefully.

housetier

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2006, 01:06 PM »
The repos have changed too: for xchat2 it is now xchat.cvs.sf.net, as I found out just today. Luckily, I don't get too many stuff from sf.net anymore.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2006, 01:17 PM »
Well, subversion *does* seem nicer than CVS, but... this sounds eeky. Shows that it's dangerous to depend on one source, even if their intentions seem(ed) good.
- carpe noctem