ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

German Government Warns Key Entities Not To Use Windows 8

(1/3) > >>

Renegade:
Uh... Yeah. No comment from me. Enjoy.

http://www.testosteronepit.com/home/2013/8/21/leaked-german-government-warns-key-entities-not-to-use-windo.html

According to leaked internal documents from the German Federal Office for Information Security (BSI) that Die Zeit obtained, IT experts figured out that Windows 8, the touch-screen enabled, super-duper, but sales-challenged Microsoft operating system is outright dangerous for data security. It allows Microsoft to control the computer remotely through a built-in backdoor. Keys to that backdoor are likely accessible to the NSA – and in an unintended ironic twist, perhaps even to the Chinese.

The backdoor is called “Trusted Computing,” developed and promoted by the Trusted Computing Group, founded a decade ago by the all-American tech companies AMD, Cisco, Hewlett-Packard, IBM, Intel, Microsoft, and Wave Systems. Its core element is a chip, the Trusted Platform Module (TPM), and an operating system designed for it, such as Windows 8. Trusted Computing Group has developed the specifications of how the chip and operating systems work together.

--- End quote ---

Original German article:

http://www.zeit.de/digital/datenschutz/2013-08/trusted-computing-microsoft-windows-8-nsa/seite-1

tomos:
That'll be a big boost for the other options. I see in the Zeit article, they say that Munich municipal administration is completing a move to Linux.

I was looking up my German/English dictionary lately, and noticed this page header - seems appropriate here:

Vurbal:
Uh... Yeah. No comment from me. Enjoy.

http://www.testosteronepit.com/home/2013/8/21/leaked-german-government-warns-key-entities-not-to-use-windo.html

According to leaked internal documents from the German Federal Office for Information Security (BSI) that Die Zeit obtained, IT experts figured out that Windows 8, the touch-screen enabled, super-duper, but sales-challenged Microsoft operating system is outright dangerous for data security. It allows Microsoft to control the computer remotely through a built-in backdoor. Keys to that backdoor are likely accessible to the NSA – and in an unintended ironic twist, perhaps even to the Chinese.

The backdoor is called “Trusted Computing,” developed and promoted by the Trusted Computing Group, founded a decade ago by the all-American tech companies AMD, Cisco, Hewlett-Packard, IBM, Intel, Microsoft, and Wave Systems. Its core element is a chip, the Trusted Platform Module (TPM), and an operating system designed for it, such as Windows 8. Trusted Computing Group has developed the specifications of how the chip and operating systems work together.

--- End quote ---

Original German article:

http://www.zeit.de/digital/datenschutz/2013-08/trusted-computing-microsoft-windows-8-nsa/seite-1

-Renegade (August 23, 2013, 01:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'd be willing to bet this is one of the big revelations I've been talking about that explains why companies who outside the Internet infrastructure industry spent so much money lobbying for CISPA. Just from memory I know Intel, Cisco, Microsoft, and IBM each spent more than a billion dollars on it prior to this year and this year's spending dwarfed that. IBM, in particular, sent 200 executives to Washington when CISPA was being debated.

The hidden purpose for CISPA, in case anyone didn't already know, was providing immunity for giving the government access to customer data. Like I've been saying. This is why all the spooks and faux regulators in Congress are so panicked about their secrets getting out.

TaoPhoenix:
I've followed the Trusted Computing angle for years now, though they managed to keep it out of the limelight for quite a while now!
(Remember, we're already discussing Windows 8.1 Blue!)

This is just becoming another reason to box in users still on XP.

Vurbal:
I've followed the Trusted Computing angle for years now, though they managed to keep it out of the limelight for quite a while now!
(Remember, we're already discussing Windows 8.1 Blue!)

This is just becoming another reason to box in users still on XP.
-TaoPhoenix (August 23, 2013, 07:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

It certainly changes my plans to show people how to make Windows 8 more user friendly. Leaving it as-is would seem to make this a self correcting problem. Good thing I was starting with Windows 7 anyway.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version