ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Interesting "stuff"

<< < (282/441) > >>

Arizona Hot:
Interesting "stuff"

Hackers Hold Entire Hotel for Ransom, Trap Guests in Rooms

Interesting "stuff"

No more dirty phone calls – this washable smartphone will clean up your act

IainB:
...PS yeah, I guess it is literally politically correct to call an autonomous country by it's own name, as opposed to by the name of its neighbour.
-tomos (January 29, 2017, 11:01 AM)
--- End quote ---
Thanks for the interesting historical interpretation, and sorry Tomos, I didn't mean to step on your ancestral toes, but the point that I was trying to politely make (as an Anglo-Saxon Islamic-Christian Yorkshire-Welsh Jewish Republican Democrat Llap Goch human being) was that the term "ancient Britain" would have collectively included Ireland by default - which is why the historians at the BBC presumably (i.e., based on historical record) would have referred to it as that, rather than as you might seem to have preferred it to be described. That is, Ireland would not have been at that time "...an autonomous country [known] by it's own name" in the current geopolitical sense.
Indeed, I am also very sorry if I have somehow angered the Old Ones and disturbed the very orbit of the Sun around the flat earth, and the balance of the tortoises on which the latter rests.

Now the BBC might have got it entirely wrong, of course - and goodness knows, it probably wouldn't be the first time - so, if you think they did, then I would strongly suggest that you bring it up with Ofcom, though one suspects that they won't take kindly to it if they thought they were being asked to rewrite history (mind you, one never knows until one tries).

Otherwise, you might like to get up a petition to insist that the venerable (but not infallible) Beeb make a public apology and correction, so that the term "Ancient Britain" must now be brought into line with current (modern political) boundaries and to include (by name) Éire, Northern Ireland, Cymru(Wales), Scotland, the Outer Hebrides, the Channel Islands (including Guernsey, Big Sark, Little Sark and Brecqhou), the Falkland Islands, Gibraltar, Anglesey, etc. and not forgetting that other piece of land whose inhabitants the Welsh affectionately refer to as "Twll dîn pob Sais".

Many people could probably be a signatories for that, if they considered that the Beeb were a bunch of arrogant Anglophiles who are up themselves and who would have been deservedly taken down a peg or two if only Hitler had had his way. That'd teach the Beeb to make those arguably divisive "Dad's Army" and "Allo, Allo!" comedy series which absolutely nobody in their right minds would have larfed at.
Some people (not me, you understand) might say that the Beeb were "Offensive bigoted racists", but I couldn't possibly comment, though it might mean that you could be in with a chance at either or both Ofcom or a petition.

tomos:
sorry Tomos, I didn't mean to step on your ancestral toes, but the point that I was trying to politely make (as an Anglo-Saxon Islamic-Christian Yorkshire-Welsh Jewish Republican Democrat Llap Goch human being) was that the term "ancient Britain" would have collectively included Ireland by default - which is why the historians at the BBC presumably (i.e., based on historical record) would have referred to it as that, rather than as you might seem to have preferred it to be described.
-IainB (January 30, 2017, 02:47 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hi Iain,
enjoyed your Welsh lol
and no, I wasn't at all angry about it (when I made my initial little dig). Looking again, I did made the mistake of equating "ancient" Britain, with modern Britain. I checked wikipedia and see that the term 'Britannia' was originally recorded by the ancient Greeks as referring to Great Britain, with 'Britanniae' referring to Britain and Ireland (and presumably the other surrounding smaller islands). Ireland did also have it's own names at that time: Iwernia, Īweriū, which lead to Hibernia and Éire; and Scotia, which of course eventually lead to the name Scotland for, eh, Scotland. (I dont know the finer points there, but presume it related to the fact that once England and Wales were transformed by the Anglo-Saxon influx, the common culture remained between Scotland and Ireland).

I have the DVD of the show I was referring to above, will have to check it, but IIRC, they dont actually explain any of ^that^, and proceed with the oh-we-British-are-so-great sort of vibe that often comes from the BBC and sometimes from elsewhere. Hence my little (as it turns out politically-[in]correct) dig.

PS re racist humour: oddly I find racist humour against my own country or culture can be the most enjoyable -- you usually know exactly where it's coming from and what's going on. A couple of years ago I watched a lot of Bernard Mannning on youtube -- until I saw him viciously attack a Japanese tourist in one show. Moved on after that.

IainB:
@tomos: Glad you caught on to the Welsh bit. To save offence, I would usually translate it for my English mates as meaning "Bless all Englishmen". I used to speak/write Welsh fluently, but am a bit rusty now, though it all starts coming back whenever I read some document like (say) a police charge-sheet written in Welsh. I studied Welsh in Llanrwst International School and later studied the ancient art of Llap Goch self-defence (according to the Python school) in Llangefni, with the rest of the inmates at the prison there. It helped to pass the time and kept one fit and provided besides a good career training/preparation for increased thuggery effectiveness on release/parole, if one was a hardened recidivist. Highly recommended.

tomos:
@tomos: Glad you caught on to the Welsh bit. To save offence, I would usually translate it for my English mates as meaning "Bless all Englishmen". I used to speak/write Welsh fluently, but am a bit rusty now, though it all starts coming back whenever I read some document like (say) a police charge-sheet written in Welsh. I studied Welsh in Llanrwst International School and later studied the ancient art of Llap Goch self-defence (according to the Python school) in Langefni, with the rest of the inmates at the prison there. It helped to pass the time and kept one fit and provided besides a good career training/preparation for increased thuggery effectiveness on release/parole, if one was a hardened recidivist. Highly recommended.
-IainB (January 31, 2017, 01:58 AM)
--- End quote ---

;D (nice to start the computer day with a laugh)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version