topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 10:39 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Interesting "stuff"  (Read 1188973 times)

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 05:08 PM by Arizona Hot »

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Interesting "stuff"
« Reply #1051 on: November 24, 2015, 05:02 PM »
People hopefully know that you can throw out certificates you don't like/need/want (if you have admin access).

As admin or 'rub as admin', open the start menu or Alt-R. Then, in the 'Run' window type: mmc

You will get a new window that allows you to create a link to certain administrative part you would like to have easy access to.
In that window you can select the certificate manager.

Select that and enable access to System and User sections of the cert manager.

After that another window will open showing you all the certificate stores from both the user account and system itself. A root certificate is usually found in the 'root certificate' store and/or 'intermediate root certificate' store. Once found, it is simply select and delete. This has immediate effect, but if you feel better doing a reboot.

However, in general you should be wary removing any type of certificate, as they can have serious consequences for your general computing experience.

But if by any chance you lose the ability to use (some) software that came with your Dell customer PC, don't fret and look for alternatives. You'll be better off in the long run anyway. For Dell servers it is more problematic. Then again, professionals use those and they already know the above and should be able to work around this problem anyway (in case they depend on (some) Dell software to run the server).

I must add that I like/setup my Windows and Linux servers to be as "bare" as possible (regarding software). Heck, I don't mind removing case plates on all sides if I think that serves me better. Now I do understand that this mindset belongs to a tiny minority that wants function over form. And I am proud to belong  :Thmbsup:  (hence you won't ever see me own any Apple device that puts form over function)

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1054 on: November 24, 2015, 09:46 PM »
Walmart's $9 Android smartphone is a fantastic pile of junk.jpgInteresting "stuff"

Walmart's $9 Android smartphone is a fantastic pile of junk

Beyond Turducken - The Top 10 Multi-Bird Roasts.jpgInteresting "stuff"

Beyond Turducken The Top 10 Multi-Bird Roasts - Reviewed.com

If you're the kind of person who got the phone above, this is something you would want.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 02:14 AM by Arizona Hot »

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1055 on: November 28, 2015, 06:42 PM »

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1057 on: November 28, 2015, 07:57 PM »
7 Amazing Things That Happen to Your Body When You Eat Peanut Butter

3. Gives you more potassium.
I love salty foods, don’t you? The only problem is, sodium isn’t that good for us. We have to eat it in moderation, but it’s hard because it’s so present in every food! Sodium can be bad for your cardiovascular system, but potassium can counteract the dangers of sodium. And, guess what? Peanut butter is an excellent source of sodium! Pair it with your salty snacks (in moderation!) and feel better about what you eat.

Certainly true of the ordinary stuff.

2015-11-29 12_54_26.pngInteresting "stuff"

Gone are the days of product qualification and proof-reading ...

:P

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1058 on: December 01, 2015, 04:37 PM »
About beer & drinking in the US:

http://www.businessi...ers-by-state-2013-10

A couple fun infographics there.

If Blue Moon is Americas favorite "beer" than it's only because they've been slamming placements for it in half the shows on TV ... Because it tastes like orange flavored Windex (e.g. shit).

I call BS on this one.

When I see ads for any kind of light beer and remember that any I ever tried tasted like fluid a panther is better off eliminating,, I have to figure the lousier the stuff tastes the more they have to push it.  Why?  Because people try it once and drop it except for a few brainwashed individuals who think being thin is worth any sacrifice.  A similar requirement must apply to low quality fast food restaurants.  A new sucker has to be created to take the place of the person who tries it and never goes back.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1059 on: December 01, 2015, 11:22 PM »
About beer & drinking in the US:

http://www.businessi...ers-by-state-2013-10

A couple fun infographics there.

If Blue Moon is Americas favorite "beer" than it's only because they've been slamming placements for it in half the shows on TV ... Because it tastes like orange flavored Windex (e.g. shit).

I call BS on this one.

When I see ads for any kind of light beer and remember that any I ever tried tasted like fluid a panther is better off eliminating,, I have to figure the lousier the stuff tastes the more they have to push it.  Why?  Because people try it once and drop it except for a few brainwashed individuals who think being thin is worth any sacrifice.  A similar requirement must apply to low quality fast food restaurants.  A new sucker has to be created to take the place of the person who tries it and never goes back.

I have zero loyalty to anything there. There are some that I like and buy semi-regularly, but I switch faster than a schizophrenic router.

I do drink a good amount of red wine, and I have yet to find a $20 bottle that compares to a good $5 bottle (well, in Australia anyways). Price isn't a real determiner of quality until price doesn't matter.

As for Blue Moon, never tried it. But I'm inclined to believe MilesAhead on the bit about people being brainwashed.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1060 on: December 02, 2015, 03:08 AM »
Topic beer:
there's a new craft beer shop opened in the nearest town here. I avoided it for a while -- I mean why pay four euro for a beer when I can get a quite-good one @ less than one euro a bottle ?

Well, I finally tried a few bottles, and they've ruined my capacity for 'good-enough' beer :down: :)
But there are advantages to drinking high-quality beer -- it can taste incredibly good (no guarantee though**), and you cant afford to drink so much of it :p

** I've tried some of the supposedly best beers in the world (e.g. Belgian beers Chimay Blue, and Trappistes Rochefort @ various strengths) and just dont see what the fuss is about. But then I'm a pils drinker, so can relate more to styles that use more hops.
Tom

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1061 on: December 02, 2015, 09:39 PM »
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 12:57 AM by Arizona Hot »

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1062 on: December 07, 2015, 11:32 AM »

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1063 on: December 07, 2015, 11:37 AM »

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1065 on: December 07, 2015, 05:45 PM »
Doctor Who Shows Just How Much Hard Work Goes Into The Doctor’s Easy Victories

A question for the Who fans.
Giving the Doctor twelve transformations / or in total (or something) was a brilliant concept when it started because it "In story" built in when an actor had to / chose to leave the role, as well as the adjustment period of each switch.

But now we're on the 12th incarnation, is the series hitting "franchise fatigue" like Star Trek did and need a rest, or should they make an "explosion of exposition" and find a way to just add more? How will the core fans deal with the break in mythos?

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1066 on: December 07, 2015, 06:37 PM »
A question for the Who fans.
Giving the Doctor twelve transformations / or in total (or something) was a brilliant concept when it started because it "In story" built in when an actor had to / chose to leave the role, as well as the adjustment period of each switch.

But now we're on the 12th incarnation, is the series hitting "franchise fatigue" like Star Trek did and need a rest, or should they make an "explosion of exposition" and find a way to just add more? How will the core fans deal with the break in mythos?

Um... possible SPOILERS ahead, but technically the last Doctor (Matt Smith) was the 12th and last regeneration (because one time he regenerated but didn't change the form of his body... or something) and they made up some stupid plothole/loophole to get him to regenerate one more time to the current (?) Doctor... the older guy whose name I don't know because I haven't seen any episodes with him as the Doctor, not counting the one where he's the new regeneration at the end of the episode.

P.S./Trivia The older guy playing the current Doctor, as well as the actress who plays Amy Pond, were both regular folks in the episode about Pompeii back when David Tennant was the Doctor and his companion was Donna.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1067 on: December 08, 2015, 01:30 AM »

Technically, a total of 12 regenerations which give a total of 13 different Doctors.

One could argue that the current Doctor is the 13th because John Hurt played the "War Doctor", (from the Time Wars), his manifestation being before Christopher Eccleston in the timeline but the story only coming to light in the "The Day of The Doctor" episodes.

So: Hartnell, Troughton, Pertwee, Baker (Tom), Davison, Baker (Colin), McCoy, McGann, Hurt, Eccleston, Tennant, Smith, Capaldi

And you also have Peter Cushing from the movies:
Dr. Who and the Daleks (1965)
Daleks - Invasion Earth 2150 A.D. (1966)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 01:37 AM by 4wd »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1068 on: December 08, 2015, 07:23 AM »
the older guy whose name I don't know because I haven't seen any episodes with him as the Doctor, not counting the one where he's the new regeneration at the end of the episode.

Peter Capaldi.  I hear he's had quite the career as a distinguished thespian.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1069 on: December 08, 2015, 01:24 PM »
the older guy whose name I don't know because I haven't seen any episodes with him as the Doctor, not counting the one where he's the new regeneration at the end of the episode.

Thanks!

More trivia: Peter Capaldi currently plays Doctor Who, but he also played a WHO Doctor in World War Z. ;D

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1070 on: December 09, 2015, 10:37 AM »
For anyone who hasn't voted on their favourite Doctor:

https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=39162.0

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1071 on: December 09, 2015, 04:14 PM »
And you also have Peter Cushing

I think there's a government regulation you have to have Peter Cushing in there somewhere.  For many years there was a rule on American TV.  If you had a series run longer than 2 years John Carradine had to be in one or more episodes.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1072 on: December 09, 2015, 04:46 PM »

Thanks!

More trivia: Peter Capaldi currently plays Doctor Who, but he also played a WHO Doctor in World War Z. ;D

Not sure if that identifies him as a distinguished thespian. ;D

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1073 on: December 09, 2015, 06:44 PM »

Thanks!

Not sure if that identifies him as a distinguished thespian. ;D

No, but it makes for an epic homage to Who's On First!
Who? Yes, the Doctor.
Dr. Who?
Yes.
wasn't he in the WHO?
The Who?
No, the WHO.
Playing a Doctor. Right?
:D

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1074 on: December 15, 2015, 11:20 PM »
This is a guy showing you how to make rings from silver dollars. Pretty interesting.