topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:22 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Interesting "stuff"  (Read 1189091 times)

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Interesting "stuff"
« Reply #600 on: February 05, 2015, 08:41 PM »
Other long term pranks:
-Saw 1/4 inch off the bottom of someone's cane every couple days or so.  <-- Yep, evil.
-Every day, when no-one is looking or before anybody else shows up, place an oily screw underneath a piece of office equipment, ceiling fan, what have you.
-Replace someone's goldfish with one larger.  Do this every couple days until you eventually replace the goldfish with a carp.

Best mouse prank ever:
terminator.jpgInteresting "stuff"

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #601 on: February 05, 2015, 08:56 PM »
-Saw 1/4 inch off the bottom of someone's cane every couple days or so.  <-- Yep, evil.

That's "you're going to hell" evil!  ;D

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #602 on: February 06, 2015, 10:28 PM »

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #604 on: February 06, 2015, 10:36 PM »
Pope's confession - I don't know how to work a computer.jpgInteresting "stuff"

Pope's confession:  I don't know how to work a computer

With eVoice, you can have tons of big business phone features for next to nothing. And it's all completely customizable to fit your needs. Here are just some of the features you get for less than $13 per month:
6 different incoming numbers
2 "extensions," for example, different departments like "sales" and "customer support"
300 minutes talk time
Number-porting: eVoice can usually use an existing number you already have
Toll-free numbers
Faxes
Call screening: handle calls differently based on who is calling
Many voice mail options
Plus dozens of more features and options

Add a second line to your cellphone

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #605 on: February 07, 2015, 03:54 AM »
lol at the pope :)

(see attachment in previous post)
Panasonic Lumix CM1 First Impressions Review

cant see this doing that well - high-end point & shoot's have been getting very fancy of late (with prices heading towards the 1000$ mark).
They have zoom (usually not that much, but still a big factor) - but then I guess this has a phone....
Tom

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #606 on: February 07, 2015, 04:49 AM »
lol at the pope :)

Doesn't he get his email from God?
 :D
(Basement Warning!)  : )

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #607 on: February 07, 2015, 08:51 AM »
Dandelions good for a garden???

http://104homestead....-herbs-permaculture/

1. Dandelion (Taraxacum officinale)

Say what? You want me to let this weed in my garden??? Surprisingly, dandelions – like many weeds – benefit our garden in many ways, the most important of which is fertilizer. Dandelions reach deep into the subsoil with those long taproots, dredge up important nutrients, and store them in their leaves.

Dandelions excel at accumulating potassium, phosphorus, calcium, and a handful of other nutrients in its leaves, which are important for healthy plant growth. When those leaves die back or are cut back and left to decompose, they fertilize the soil.

I let dandelions grow in my vegetable garden and it is common to encourage dandelions to grow in orchards under fruit trees. Dandelions increase earthworm populations, which is good for healthy soil.

About once a month I snip the leaves off and compost them in place, which also discourages the plant from flowering and going to seed. Dandelions are good, but I don’t need a dandelion garden!

Those nutrient-rich leaves aren’t only good for my garden and my soil, but they’re also good for me. Yep, dandelion greens are edible. I add the young, bright green spring leaves to salad mix.

Some market gardeners even cultivate a specific variety of dandelion with giant leaves as a crop. On purpose! Local chefs go nuts over it. Also, apparently, so do chickens. Consider adding dandelion seed to your foraging seed mix.

As if that weren’t enough, dandelion also has medicinal uses. The dried root is an excellent liver and kidney tonic. If dandelions are left to flower, they will attract pollinators and beneficial insects. For all of these reasons and more, dandelion is one of my top 5 weeds to keep in the garden.

More interesting stuff for gardeners at the link.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #608 on: February 07, 2015, 10:17 AM »
^ I have read (no links sorry) the there were multiple varieties of dandelion imported to the Americas by the original European immigrants. Also that multiple varieties were sold via e.g. Sear's catalogue. For human consumption ;-) At the local market here, one stall has started selling a cultivated version. It's very bitter - as one would expect - but the 'stems', (which are much more substantial than in the wild version), they're quite sweetish.

Bitter foods used to be eaten a lot. Today you dont get so much but there's still radicchio and chicory; in Germany you get Zuckerhut in winter (cant find a translation) - but it's not that common. I've gotten into the bitter taste in the last few years. Also drink common centaury (Tausendgüldenkraut) tea - bitter, and very good for the digestion :up: I tried wormwood tea but couldnt manage it, bitter is an understatement there ...
Tom
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 10:23 AM by tomos, Reason: added chicory »

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #609 on: February 07, 2015, 01:13 PM »
Dandelion Snorting.jpg

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #610 on: February 07, 2015, 01:18 PM »
14 All-American Foods That Foreigners Find Gross.jpgInteresting "stuff"

14 All-American Foods That Foreigners Find Gross

Might be a way to get rid of unwanted guests, provided they aren't Americans.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #611 on: February 07, 2015, 02:16 PM »
Tom

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #612 on: February 09, 2015, 07:30 AM »
It's mosquito season in Auckland, New Zealand, and I got 3 of these devices. They are being very useful and are great fun and very satisfying to use - an electronic flying bug zapper ("electrocutioner"). NOT A TOY.

Electonic electric fly swat bug zapper (tennis racquet).jpg

Features:
  • Looks like a small tennis racquet.
  • Is powered by 2 x AA 1.5V batteries.
  • Power on and keep it on by holding down the press-button in the handgrip - a red LED shows when it is on.
  • A little sparkle/flash of electricity, a slight "fizz" sound and an acrid smell tell you if you just zapped something small (e.g., like a mosquito), and the carcass of the victim can be seen trapped in the mesh.
  • A bright flash and a loud "crack!" and an acrid smell tell you if you just zapped something large (e.g., like a common housefly).

At around US$6 or $7, the quality control of these devices leaves a lot to be desired. I found 2 out of 5 to be defective.
Sometimes, you think they are working (the light comes on), but they don't seem to zap anything. Someone with a good range of hearing (typically under age 30) can usually hear the whine/whistle of the capacitor being charged up, which is a sure sign that it is working. Otherwise you can test it with a small spitball of tissue paper dropped onto the mesh - the spitball should smoke/flash.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 07:43 AM by IainB »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #613 on: February 09, 2015, 08:50 AM »
Being a casual sport archer, I found the following video by Anna Maltese (archery instructor, bow-maker, tournament competitor, fire archery practitioner) rebutting some of Lars ("fastest archer on the planet") Andersen's recent postulations rather interesting:

Below is the original video by Mr. Andersen that the above is rebutting:

8)

« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 09:00 AM by 40hz »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #614 on: February 09, 2015, 09:50 AM »
Being a casual sport archer, I found the following video by Anna Maltese (archery instructor, bow-maker, tournament competitor, fire archery practitioner) rebutting some of Lars ("fastest archer on the planet") Andersen's recent postulations rather interesting:

much too slow getting going (I almost gave up on it), but worthwhile in the end :up:
Tom

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #615 on: February 10, 2015, 01:47 AM »
@40hz: I found that video of Anna Maltese's which debunks misleading claims made by one Lars Andersen was rather interesting, if only because it showed the propensity of fakers to make the most outlandish claims and still apparently expect not to get caught out. I didn't bother watching the Lars Andersen video.
Sorry I don't have time to write more, but I am about to go out with a torch tonight to look for those fairies that I have been told one can see in the shrubbery at the back of our apartment block. So amazing, eh?    :o

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #616 on: February 10, 2015, 05:32 AM »

The original video was pretty fun! (I watched that first.)

The rebuttal, not so much -- she's basically just heckling a magician (did you really believe that the magician's wand was exhumed from an ancient tomb in 1837 after...). Perhaps she should have read the original video's description. Buddy mentions some of the things she takes issue with in her rebuttal. Reading all of it, and applying the principle of charity (a lost art today that I have recently rediscovered from my extensive historical readings!!! :P ), it seems that Lars is aiming at producing entertainment much like street entertainers and magicians have been doing for ages (complete with lots of embellishments), and not a historical documentary. But, that was just my read on it Lars -- perhaps I should have taken him much more seriously? :P ;D

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #617 on: February 10, 2015, 07:10 AM »

The original video was pretty fun! (I watched that first.)

The rebuttal, not so much -- she's basically just heckling a magician (did you really believe that the magician's wand was exhumed from an ancient tomb in 1837 after...). Perhaps she should have read the original video's description. Buddy mentions some of the things she takes issue with in her rebuttal. Reading all of it, and applying the principle of charity (a lost art today that I have recently rediscovered from my extensive historical readings!!! :P ), it seems that Lars is aiming at producing entertainment much like street entertainers and magicians have been doing for ages (complete with lots of embellishments), and not a historical documentary. But, that was just my read on it Lars -- perhaps I should have taken him much more seriously? :P ;D

;D :Thmbsup:

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #618 on: February 10, 2015, 08:26 AM »
My 4 ½ y/o son just found this game, which he asked me to play with him - which I did.
WARNING: It's a potentially addictive time bandit: http://tangerinetycoon.com/

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #620 on: February 11, 2015, 06:37 AM »
(see attachment in previous post)
Today I Am Releasing Ten Million Passwords

Worth a thread of its own.

From a comment:

* Only one person used correcthorsebatterystaple.

HAHAHA!  :Thmbsup:

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #621 on: February 11, 2015, 06:41 AM »
From a comment:

* Only one person used correcthorsebatterystaple.

HAHAHA!  :Thmbsup

apparently Dropbox objects if you use that :) (https://nakedsecurit...ystaple-dropbox-wit/)

dropbox-ani2.gif
Tom

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #623 on: February 11, 2015, 07:17 PM »

Who here would like to ski like this?

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #624 on: February 11, 2015, 10:27 PM »

Though I can't vouch for the historicity of any of Mr. Andersen's claims, basically he's shown that he's gotten really good at doing archery stuff that looks like it'd be actually useful in medieval melee.  While Ms. Maltese's snarky 'rebuttal' may be based on stuff she knows a thing or two about, her attitude kinda grated on me.

1- "Forgotten" knowledge.
If there's a big book at the library about how to catch egg noodles in the wild with a gunny sack and some pretzels, but everybody still goes down to the grocer and picks them up for a dollar a pound, it's effectively "forgotten", even though the information is readily available.

2- "Trick shooter"
Damn straight, he's damn tricky, but the things he does look actually useful, and it obviously took a lot of practice and built-up skill to pull off what he does.  Nobody is going to pull an arrow out of their heart and say "Haha, nice trick".  Trick shot or not, if you're hit, he wins.

3- "Plate armor"
She goes on about how he's only pulling 10-13 pounds on the bow, and mocks his demonstration of shooting through chain mail by showing a picture of full dress plate armor.  Lady, how many people do you really think were on the battlefield in full plate?  Though I don't buy the myths that they were very heavy or cumbersome, I don't think they were standard issue to any and all foot soldiers.  I don't recall any medieval woodcuts or tapestries showing fields of armor-clad heroes, but plenty of woolen-knickers-and-chainmail-waistcoats.

4- "Left vs. Right"
She takes issue with him saying he has learned to "shoot arrows from the right side of the bow", then sets up a straw man by saying archers shoot on whatever side their strong eye is.  C'mon Ms. Maltese, you know what he meant.

5- "Bamboo arrows"
She takes issue with him being able to split an arrow by saying he had to use bamboo arrows to perform his amazing "split the arrow as it flies" trick.
o_O
HE SPLIT AN ARROW THAT WAS FLYING MID-AIR IN HIS GENERAL DIRECTION.  It doesn't matter if it was made of bamboo or drinking straws, HE SPLIT AN ARROW IN MID-AIR.
DONE.

EDIT: This guy summed up my thoughts and more in a more precise fashion:

« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 11:21 PM by Edvard »