topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:20 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Interesting "stuff"  (Read 1189182 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Interesting "stuff"
« Reply #525 on: December 29, 2014, 06:19 PM »
^Very nice dancer there. Too bad it's so hard to tell.

40hz rant time! :tellme: :tellme: :tellme:

It's true that dance can be very dramatic. But that doesn't make it a drama - which most people who make movies and videos simply can't seem to grasp.

***end rant***

I think they trained at the MTV school of film production.  More important than content is shifting the shot every couple of seconds to force the observer to refocus.  Supposedly this keeps people watching even though nothing good is shown.  The trick is old now.  I wish they'd think up a new gimmick.  :)

Edit:  Fortunately it's not 2015 yet as I've pointed this out at least a dozen times on DC.  New Years res. is to let it and similar rest.  :)

the ultimate abuser: epic battle scenes and transformers.  just once, I wish they would zoom waaaay out and let us watch an enormous battle unfold for a SOLID 30 seconds.  And no more one guy mowing down hundreds of enemies.  And in the transformer's case, let's have fewer pipes and metal parts for the robots so we can actually see facial features and other things that help us figure out what is going on, what body parts are involved, etc.  I don't want to see a bunch of pipes crammed together and spend a few seconds "is that the eye? is that the arm?  am i looking at a home depot shopping cart?"

also...if gandalf can blast hundreds of orcs away with his ball of light from his staff, why doesn't he just do it in the beginning of every major battle...or just repeatedly? 

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #526 on: December 30, 2014, 10:08 AM »
also...if gandalf can blast hundreds of orcs away with his ball of light from his staff, why doesn't he just do it in the beginning of every major battle...or just repeatedly?
-40hz

That would be cheating.  Too easy.  :)

Along that line, what drives me nuts about Vampire films or TV shows is after all the bragging they do about "I'm 800 years old" and "I'm 2000 years old" etc..  Somebody pokes 'em with a sharp stick and they pop.  If it's that easy to kill 'em they must have lived for 2000 years by hiding in a cave.  The other thing is the bursting into flames in sunlight.  Bram Stoker's Dracula didn't have that problem.  At least in the movie The Breed they walked around in the day time, but wore sunglasses.  :)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #527 on: December 30, 2014, 02:14 PM »
-40hz

That would be cheating.  Too easy.  :)

That plus the rechargeable batteries in a wizard's staff don't last very long. FYI: Those staffs were designed by the same people who picked the battery for the iPhone.

Along that line, what drives me nuts about Vampire films or TV shows is after all the bragging they do about "I'm 800 years old" and "I'm 2000 years old" etc..  Somebody pokes 'em with a sharp stick and they pop.  If it's that easy to kill 'em they must have lived for 2000 years by hiding in a cave.  

Right up there with the "shields" in the StarTrek universe. Hit 'em once - or at most twice - and Sulu or Scotty are announcing: "Shields are down, Captain!"

That and the snazzy "body armor" all those Imperial Storm Troopers wore in StarWars. Shoot those guys once and down they go! You have to wonder why they bothered for all the good it seemed to do them. Even ewok arrows seemed to penetrate it pretty well. Maybe the old US Pentagon originally contracted that project out for them?

The other thing is the bursting into flames in sunlight.  Bram Stoker's Dracula didn't have that problem.  At least in the movie The Breed they walked around in the day time, but wore sunglasses.  :)

+1!  :Thmbsup: I thought the sunglasses and daylight roaming was a touch of genius in The Breed. With modern weapons and technology, we have to do something to even up the odds for the vampires. Or at the very least, give them the benefit of modern tech like they did in Underworld: Awakening. Those vampire special ops teams were spot on the sugar. :Thmbsup:
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 07:33 PM by 40hz »

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #528 on: December 31, 2014, 12:36 AM »
A Natural Eye.jpgInteresting "stuff"   Amazing Human Faced Tree.jpgInteresting "stuff"   Amazing Meteor At Night.jpgInteresting "stuff"   Amazing Storm Shot.jpgInteresting "stuff"   Fun With the Moon.jpgInteresting "stuff"   Genius Goats.jpgInteresting "stuff"

Fun With the Moon

Your new PC needs these 22 free, excellent programs.jpgInteresting "stuff"

Your new PC needs these 22 free, excellent programs  PCWorld
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 12:43 AM by Arizona Hot »

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #529 on: December 31, 2014, 12:46 AM »
New Clues In Sony Hack Point To Insiders, Away from DPRK.jpgInteresting "stuff"

Clues In Sony Hack Point To Insiders  The Security Ledger

In today’s world of agile software development and fast release cycles, developers increasingly rely on third-party libraries and components to get the job done. Since many of those libraries come from long-running, open-source projects, developers often assume they’re getting well-written, bug-free code. They’re wrong.
The major patching efforts triggered by the Heartbleed, Shellshock and POODLE flaws this year serve as examples of the effect of critical vulnerabilities in third-party code. The flaws affected software that runs on servers, desktop computers, mobile devices and hardware appliances, affecting millions of consumers and businesses.
However, these highly publicized vulnerabilities were not isolated incidents. Similar flaws have been found in libraries such as OpenSSL, LibTIFF, libpng, OpenJPEG, FFmpeg, Libav and countless others, and these have made their way into thousands of products over the years.

Think that software library is safe to use Not so fast!  CIO
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 12:51 AM by Arizona Hot »

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #530 on: December 31, 2014, 07:31 AM »
Right up there with the "shields" in the StarTrek universe. Hit 'em once - or at most twice - and Sulu or Scotty are announcing: "Shields are down, Captain!"

That and the snazzy "body armor" all those Imperial Storm Troopers wore in StarWars. Shoot those guys once and down they go! You have to wonder why they bothered for all the good it seemed to do them. Even ewok arrows seemed to penetrate it pretty well. Maybe the old US Pentagon originally contracted that project out for them?

I have a couple of funny answers to these. Having just spent three days playing a Tower Defense game, if the shields always held up, it would warp the episode to look like a Tower Defense game on low levels!

As for the body armor, maybe they knew it didn't do much, but it looks cool and looking cool was the point! : )

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #531 on: December 31, 2014, 07:45 AM »
Clues In Sony Hack Point To Insiders  The Security Ledger

Way more believable than the official version.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #532 on: December 31, 2014, 09:58 AM »
Clues In Sony Hack Point To Insiders  The Security Ledger

Agree. For a successful attack on that scale, there almost always has to be one or more insiders involved.

Those hackers might have been that good. But nobody's that good that they can't benefit from their target's security being that bad - or having some inside help along the way.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #533 on: December 31, 2014, 11:57 AM »

I think it's a combination, truth be told.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #534 on: December 31, 2014, 11:31 PM »

Meh, disgruntled ex employee spun into publicity stunt makes way more sense than North Korea giving a shit about some silly assed movie..

...Just saying man ... Walks like a duck... ;)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #535 on: January 01, 2015, 12:14 AM »
Aliens. It was aliens!  :Thmbsup:
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #536 on: January 01, 2015, 11:58 AM »

Meh, disgruntled ex employee spun into publicity stunt makes way more sense than North Korea giving a shit about some silly assed movie..

North Korea has already said they cared about the movie... and considered it an act of war.  Any rational person would agree with you.  But the leadership of NK isn't exactly rational right now.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #537 on: January 01, 2015, 07:02 PM »
But the leadership of NK isn't exactly rational right now.

I always wonder about this. They seem to get what they want quite often, so there appears to be a method in their madness.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #538 on: January 01, 2015, 08:30 PM »
But the leadership of NK isn't exactly rational right now.

I always wonder about this. They seem to get what they want quite often, so there appears to be a method in their madness.

I do too, actually.  I know that there is a labyrinthine structure in place, even though Kim Jong-Un is revered... and I wonder if that structure is what's behind actually getting things done.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #539 on: January 02, 2015, 12:28 PM »

North Korea has already said they cared about the movie... and considered it an act of war.

Yeah, the usual diplomatic (street punk on the corner style) BS posturing for the 6 O'clock news team. But do they really care? I seriously doubt it.

Any rational person would agree with you.  But the leadership of NK isn't exactly rational right now.

Think about that one for a second man - crazy-as-shit only really works as a strategy if it's an act.

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 04:06 PM by Arizona Hot »

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #541 on: January 04, 2015, 08:32 AM »
If you like DIY stuff... This blacksmith made a knife using techniques from over 2,500 years ago. (Translated, but the core tech is there.)

Wootz steel blade - it's a series of videos, but I'm only linking to the last one. It's a playlist, so skip to the first if you are into the nitty gritty of blacksmithing.

They have failures, but the blade they make is simply gorgeous -- especially when you see what went into it.

I tripped on it while looking into fire clay.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #542 on: January 05, 2015, 06:14 AM »
What happens when you pour mercury into salt?

Part 2 shows lead shot.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #545 on: January 08, 2015, 07:52 PM »
Society doesn't have expectations of people. That feeling you get about what society wants is your brain trying to predict what people will like. So when you complain about society's expectations, you are either complaining that people like the wrong things or that your warped brain is misinterpreting the desires of other people. Good luck solving either problem.

Comment of the day.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #546 on: January 08, 2015, 11:30 PM »
(see attachment in previous post)
Intel’s Diminutive ‘Compute Stick’ Runs Windows 8.1, Costs $150

Supposing we let this brew into a "next generation", this might be a useful component for a fun (though slightly anachronistically mis-styled) project - "the computing helmet". (I know how Facebook did it, but how did Twitter overtake Johnny Mnemonic!?)

I haven't checked this year's CES, but the idea is that (maybe even coupled with the phone like the old days when arcades merged two entire separate computing sections for cutting edge power), if you have "computer goggles" that basically give you the computer screen in front of your eyes, then sound, let's say phone microphones, goggle-camera, and then you just have a wireless keyboard and mouse, you can wander into a cafe "typing into thin air". To me, why even have a laptop if you have a "quasi virtual" 24 inch screen size in your goggles?

As my early visual conceptions, I used a motorcycle helmet just because structurally you can brace all that stuff into a form factor that is sleek on the outside, aka you don't look like a Borg. Of course, you don't exactly want a Motorcycle helmet, they're designed for something else, but let's suggest for example a black Master Chief helmet.

So with one (or even a couple chained ones!?) of these compute sticks, wireless link to your phone in your pocket for the phone stuff, then it also gives you anchor room for decent headphones built in, in some alt universe I can forsee a new Starbucks crowd. Cops get grumpy about helmets, but I did manage to see an entire showing of the Watchmen in a theater wearing a motor helmet!

« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 11:42 PM by TaoPhoenix »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #547 on: January 09, 2015, 03:45 AM »
Society doesn't have expectations of people. That feeling you get about what society wants is your brain trying to predict what people will like. So when you complain about society's expectations, you are either complaining that people like the wrong things or that your warped brain is misinterpreting the desires of other people. Good luck solving either problem.

Comment of the day.

they've got a great word in spoken German - Yein - it's a cross between yes and no.
Society is peoples' expectations that have been enshrined in various ways, and made into the 'norm'. So, I'd say it's not all (just) in your head.
Otherwise I agree, and reckon the easier one to solve is what's going on in your own head.
Not saying it's easy though...

One new head here please ;-)
Tom

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #548 on: January 10, 2015, 03:11 PM »
The '90s are calling and your flip phone is ready.jpgInteresting "stuff"    GEDC0642b.jpgInteresting "stuff"

Hello The '90s are calling and your flip phone is ready

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #549 on: January 11, 2015, 03:01 PM »
Latest project from lasersaber. :-* This is just the intro. The build article and video is on the way.

Don't know about anybody else, but this is the DIY solar project I've been waiting for. :Thmbsup: