ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Interesting "stuff"

<< < (103/441) > >>

40hz:
I just noticed in passing this morning on CNN (only caught the tail of it unfortunately) that some fans at the box office were saying it was "our patriotic duty" as Americans to go see The Interview...

Ah! Here's the link.

Interesting that Sony got major theater chains to screen the movie at the same time Sony was intent on streaming it. That's something these chains have always balked at in the past. But this media carnival neatly put theaters in a double-bind. Show the picture - or lose seats to the web stream. And look like wimps as well. (Could this be the shape of things to come for theater chains?)

Looks like Sony is in a very tidy win-win revenue position right now. That may ultimately save a few heads in LA, as long as they're not working in IT. Because those IT guys are toast. And deservedly so IMHO.

Stoic Joker:
Because those IT guys are toast. And deservedly so IMHO.-40hz (December 26, 2014, 01:17 PM)
--- End quote ---

While it is tempting to jump there, I think the point of initial access should be considered. Because if some 'C' level suit decided to use fluffy1 for their password ... Then it ain't IT's ass that should be on the line.

I say this because I'm sure we've both been in situations where someone was throwing their weight around to get something really stupid (like a 3 character password) put in place.

Renegade:
Ah! Here's the link.
-40hz (December 26, 2014, 01:17 PM)
--- End quote ---

From the link:

"This film represents our commitment to our filmmakers and free speech,"
--- End quote ---

And here's something "interesting". ;)

40hz:
Then it ain't IT's ass that should be on the line.
-Stoic Joker (December 26, 2014, 10:17 PM)
--- End quote ---

Still. Right, wrong, or in-between, the buck stops there.

I say this because I'm sure we've both been in situations where someone was throwing their weight around to get something really stupid (like a 3 character password) put in place.
-Stoic Joker (December 26, 2014, 10:17 PM)
--- End quote ---

Been there. And if that's the case, you document what was done, memo it along with your caveats, and copy relevant parties. Doing that saved my butt on at least three occasions in my career. Never leave yourself being the only one without a chair (and at the mercy of a bout of "corporate amnesia") when the music stops.

Doesn't look like any of that happened much at Sony though. It mostly looks like they ran a very loose ship when you consider the variety and number of absolutely bonehead things they we allowing to happen. Or possibly simply ignoring when they did. If it were one obscure bug, or some crazy zero-day exploit that cracked them, I'd be much more sympathetic. But these people weren't consistently doing even the basic stuff they teach you in tech school, let alone what seasoned professionals should be aware of - and be doing.

If you ain't part of the solution, you're part of the problem. And in my experience, if you play along without objection, you'll be one of the first they let go when things go sideways. Because like it or not, as IT people, it is our responsibility. And there's just no getting around that.

Or so I think. 8) ;)

Stoic Joker:
I hear Ya ... I just like to watch shit run up hill on the odd occasion it happens.

And yes, I document everything. I also make frequent comments regarding/referring to said documented issue ... Just to make sure nobody get/has/even thinks about pretending to "forget" why something exists. :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version