ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Interesting "stuff"

<< < (68/441) > >>

TaoPhoenix:
(see attachment in previous post)
Some other interesting gifs and jpgs at the site below, beside the one in the post above this one.

Disclaimer i have yet to play LoL

-Arizona Hot (September 23, 2014, 12:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

Maybe but fair warning, it's a bit of a wild ride blog, not nearly as crisp and interesting as the sign posted above!

TaoPhoenix:
Another small page in the Search Engine wars

I just watched Kung Fu Hustle again today. I really enjoy "enhanced movie watching" on my computer, where I can learn so much alongside the movie between Rotten Tomato critiques, and then looking up terms.

But while lots of my searches are just lazy and almost impossible for Yahoo to miss, sometimes a few surprises pop up.

According to one review, "mo lay tau" (special quotes use here, read on) is supposed to be a kind of "I refuse to give up even though you defeated me in the material world" attitude. Neat. Off I go to Yahoo (Aka Bing) (take that, Google!). But then ... well ... Yahoo failed me.

Turns out the reviewer made a spelling mistake. This is where the art of second order searching begins. I spend a modest amount of time "yelling" at search engines because I'd type in something obscure, only for it to give me some completely different set of results based on it thinking it knows more than I do. Made up example: Suppose there was a little known allegorical phrase "Miles of Cypress" (trees). Back comes "Showing results for Miley Cyrus. Click a second time to actually show the results for Miles of Cypress".

:mad:

Then when you actually do that, all these weird pages that are beyond turbo-optimized to respond to basically any set of words show up. But occasionally you do need the search engine to guide you. But, heed this Microsoft, *suggest* what you think it is, don't re-write the search and then say "re-click here to actually search what you typed in."

The results from yahoo were (with some skipped for drama):

Showing results for mo lay thai
Search instead for mo lay tau

Mo Lay Thai - Video Results
(followed by a bunch of results)

Lai_tau Mo | LinkedIn
www.linkedin.com/pub/lai-tau-mo/6/439/902
Lai_tau Mo. Research Analyst at Decision-Science.com Location Orange County, California Area Industry Internet

St Jacques de Molay - Knights Templar Priests of the ...
templarpriests.weebly.com/st-jacques-de-molay.html   Cached
Canonisation of St Jacques de Molay, 18th March 2014 an ecumenical initiative of the Knights Templar Priests of the Presentation of Our Lady

Tau MO | LinkedIn
www.linkedin.com/pub/tau-mo/32/251/203
View Tau MO's professional profile on LinkedIn. LinkedIn is the world's largest business network, helping professionals like Tau MO discover inside connections to ...

Mo Lay's Photos, Phone, Email, Address
www.matespotter.com/search/Mo-Lay
Surname: Given Name(s) Date: Age: Other: Publication: LAY: Raymond: 2013-12-08: 90: Herald Sun (Melbourne) LAY: Walter Raymond (Tas) 2009-08-14: Herald Sun (Melbourne)

Demolay International, Evansville-Compton Chapter Order Of De ...
www.nonprofitfacts.com  › Indiana
Demolay International, Evansville-Compton Chapter Order Of De Molay: Employer Identification Number (EIN) 237587794: Name of Organization: Demolay International

---------------------------------------------------------------
Microsoft, you beat me. But I will not give up!

Off I go to the Sauron Castle of Google:

Did you mean: mo lei tau

Bingo. (And off we go to sensible results.)

To make things worse, Startpage claims to offer "search results from Google in complete privacy". Well, I can only take their word about the privacy, but the resulting returned items are some bastardized mess that definitely isn't Google! It did barely pick up the Wiki page, but no more.

Anyone know of a really crisp way to search Google in privacy?

Target:
Anyone know of a really crisp way to search Google in privacy?-TaoPhoenix (September 24, 2014, 08:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

do it on someone else's machine?

IainB:
...Wish granted! Look here.
-Arizona Hot (September 24, 2014, 04:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks!

AzureToad:
Anyone know of a really crisp way to search Google in privacy?
-TaoPhoenix (September 24, 2014, 08:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

I always use DuckDuckGo

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version