ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Interesting "stuff"

<< < (102/441) > >>

Stoic Joker:
Unless I hear it's an unusually well done picture, worth watching for that alone, I probably won't.
-40hz (December 25, 2014, 09:09 AM)
--- End quote ---

Me either. This whole fiasco is looking more like a publicity stunt to me. Because any halfassed intelligent (truly independent) hacking group would have known better than to risk triggering a Streisand effect stampede to the ticket booth.

40hz:
This whole fiasco is looking more like a publicity stunt to me.
-Stoic Joker (December 25, 2014, 01:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's a distinct possibility.

Because any halfassed intelligent (truly independent) hacking group would have known better than to risk triggering a Streisand effect stampede to the ticket booth.
--- End quote ---

Possibly. But in a society as closed-off from everything as NK is, there's also a very good chance that the hackers' street savvy comes nowhere close to their computer skills. (Assuming it was an NK-based group that actually pulled this caper off, of course.)

wraith808:
This whole fiasco is looking more like a publicity stunt to me.
--- End quote ---

It's a distinct possibility.
-40hz (December 25, 2014, 09:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

The reason that I don't think that is because of *what* was released.  It wasn't just embarrassing to Sony, it was potentially damaging.  And not just to this movie, either.  Not worth it as a publicity stunt.

40hz:
^I probably should have made myself clearer.

I don't think the entire thing was planned as a publicity stunt for precisely the reasons you've given.

I was talking about what I suspect was an attempt to garner sympathy from the public by pulling the movie from theaters.

Unfortunately for Sony Entertainment, most people thought that was fairly gutless. And it was only when Mr. Obama chided them for "caving" that Sony suddenly saw fit to tell us "it was the theaters" (and not very many as it turned out) whose "concerns" they were attempting to accommodate.

The original announcement they were pulling the movie was what I thought was the publicity stunt. Especially since they had no assurances they could trust that not showing the picture would stop further disclosures. They would have been crazy to think that alone would be enough to make them stop.

And now the mothership from Tokyo is taking a more active role in overseeing their semi-autonomous American subsidiary. Knowing a bit about how Japan conducts business, that seems to indicate a major management decision went wrong, and the big boys saw the need to get directly involved. That's not something they do lightly.

If heads in marketing start to gently roll at Sony Entertainment within 6 months after the dust settles, I'll be firmly convinced this is precisely what went down.

wraith808:
^I probably should have made myself clearer.

I don't think the entire thing was planned as a publicity stunt for precisely the reasons you've given.

I was talking about what I suspect was an attempt to garner sympathy from the public by pulling the movie from theaters.

Unfortunately for Sony Entertainment, most people thought that was fairly gutless. And it was only when Mr. Obama chided them for "caving" that Sony suddenly saw fit to tell us "it was the theaters" (and not very many as it turned out) whose "concerns" they were attempting to accommodate.

The original announcement they were pulling the movie was what I thought was the publicity stunt. Especially since they had no assurances they could trust that not showing the picture would stop further disclosures. They would have been crazy to think that alone would be enough to make them stop.

And now the mothership from Tokyo is taking a more active role in overseeing their semi-autonomous American subsidiary. Knowing a bit about how Japan conducts business, that seems to indicate a major management decision went wrong, and the big boys saw the need to get directly involved. That's not something they do lightly.

If heads in marketing start to gently roll at Sony Entertainment within 6 months after the dust settles, I'll be firmly convinced this is precisely what went down.
-40hz (December 26, 2014, 07:14 AM)
--- End quote ---

Ah, I understand... and totally agree.  Sony Japan likes to continue with the carefully calculated fiction that Sony of America is independent... and having to go against that is going to cause blood to run in the corp, I think.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version