ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Interesting "stuff"

<< < (79/441) > >>

tomos:
What research says about cats they're selfish, unfeeling, environmentally harmful creatures - Vox
-Arizona Hot (October 21, 2014, 02:42 AM)
--- End quote ---
Why are cats so different from dogs in this way [responsiveness to owner's voice]? The researchers speculate that the difference can be explained by evolutionary history: dogs were domesticated an estimated 15,000 years ago, compared to just 9,500 years for cats. Additionally, it's believed that dogs were actively selected by humans (to guard and herd animals), whereas cats likely selected themselves, spending time near people simply to eat the rats consuming grain stores. This difference — along with the extra evolutionary time — could explain why dogs are so much more interested in responding to the human voice.
--- End quote ---

they miss out on possibly the most relevant difference here:
cats are loners, dogs are pack animals.
   Dogs respond to their 'owner' as the leader of the pack (then again, with some owners, this doesnt quite work as it should...).
   Cat's dont see you as an owner, nor as a leader.

Stoic Joker:
they miss out on possibly the most relevant difference here:
cats are loners, dogs are pack animals.
   Dogs respond to their 'owner' as the leader of the pack (then again, with some owners, this doesnt quite work as it should...).
   Cat's dont see you as an owner, nor as a leader.-tomos (October 21, 2014, 07:58 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, but that sort of grounded practical information is to hard to sensationalize...which seemed to be a rather strong undertone in the article. IMO as an entry piece it did nothing for the sites credibility - Kinda gave it a two headed space baby feel.

Arizona Hot:
Interesting "stuff"

GopherJS nudges Google Go past Dart in JavaScript Web development  InfoWorld

Arizona Hot:
Yes, but that sort of grounded practical information is to hard to sensationalize...which seemed to be a rather strong undertone in the article. IMO as an entry piece it did nothing for the sites credibility - Kinda gave it a two headed space baby feel.
-Stoic Joker (October 21, 2014, 11:23 AM)
--- End quote ---

I bet it appealed to some people. Do you think it's popular on Facebook or Reddit?

Stoic Joker:
-Stoic Joker (October 21, 2014, 11:23 AM)
--- End quote ---

I bet it appealed to some people. Do you think it's popular on Facebook or Reddit?
-Arizona Hot (October 21, 2014, 11:53 AM)
--- End quote ---

Undoubtedly ... Much for the same reason I never visit either one. :)

There are lifestyle change downsides to owning any pet - which more people should properly consider - But that doesn't really warrant the article's cats are evil shock value tone. We've recently had a cat add itself to our (3 dog) household. It's a tricky mix...but I'm not about to turn the cat away. I'm also not going to do a piece about 101 fun things to do with cat shit...but that has nothing to do with the article.. ;) :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version