ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Interesting "stuff"

<< < (316/441) > >>

IainB:
@ConstanceJill: Thankyou for the educational and informative video providing a potted history of LED technology, and in particular blue/violet LEDs, and which reduced my level of ignorance somewhat.
For example, because I simply had neither investigated nor thought about it, it had not previously registered in me why the Blu-ray™ technology was an advancement in terms of data throughput, effectively superseding green lasers:

Arizona Hot:
Interesting "stuff"

Galaxy Note 8 Zero Lemon 5500mAh case fixes its biggest flaw

Interesting "stuff"

Apple now sells an iPhone dongle with a headphone jack and charging port

IainB:
I hadn't known this - though I guess it could be a logical continuation of the US Govt's. savvy WW2 "Operation Paperclip" philosophy: (emphasis mine)
...The importance of governments in driving a nation’s scientific and technological achievements were outlined most clearly in the 2013 book The Entrepreneurial State by Mariana Mazzucato of Sussex university. In it, Prof Mazzucato traced the role the US government had played in creating Apple’s iPhone.

Without undermining the creative genius of Steve Jobs or the supply chain mastery of his successor Tim Cook, Prof Mazzucato found that almost every piece of technology in the ubiquitous smartphone had its origin in a government programme, dispelling the myth that the success of Silicon Valley was largely the work of eccentric entrepreneurs tinkering in their garages and savvy investments made by venture capitalists.

Apple’s voice-activated personal assistant software Siri, the microprocessor and the micro hard-drive all had their origins in research by the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (Darpa), run by the Department of Defense; the multi-touch screen was developed by the CIA and Darpa; GPS, found on most smartphones, was a technology originally created by Darpa and the US Navy. It was the patient investment of government that made today’s digital revolution reality. Prof Mazzucato says: “In almost every sector from IT to biotech, nano tech and clean tech, it has been the US government that has led the way investing in key areas across the innovation chain.” ...

--- End quote ---

Arizona Hot:
Interesting "stuff"

Apple releases a fix for LTE connectivity issues with new Apple Watch

Interesting "stuff"

Watch This Star Tragically Die in a Fart Nebula

tomos:
I hadn't known this - though I guess it could be a logical continuation of the US Govt's. savvy WW2 "Operation Paperclip" philosophy: (emphasis mine)
Without undermining the creative genius of Steve Jobs or the supply chain mastery of his successor Tim Cook, Prof Mazzucato found that almost every piece of technology in the ubiquitous smartphone had its origin in a government programme, dispelling the myth that the success of Silicon Valley was largely the work of eccentric entrepreneurs tinkering in their garages and savvy investments made by venture capitalists.

--- End quote ---
-IainB (October 02, 2017, 10:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

I heard that claimed by Yanis Varoufakis for larger EU countries, but couldn't tell you in which video.
(Wonder did the government/s get patents and get their chunk of the goods that way.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version