topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 8:55 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Replacing the Control Panel  (Read 20620 times)

Vurbal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • Mostly harmless
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Replacing the Control Panel
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2013, 12:28 PM »
I am not sure what should happened when I run explorer.exe shell:::{67718415-c450-4f3c-bf8a-b487642dc39b} but I used DOPUS as my explorer replacement and it opens my Desktop (I am running Windows XP SP 3).
In Vista, it opened the add/remove windows features applet and then sat for ages trying to populate it. I gave up waiting, so I don't know if it would have got there eventually. I can confirm that it doesn't work right in XP -- I have a suspicion that this may only work correctly in at least Vista and possibly Win7.

Just to make sure we're on the same page, how did you try launching it in Vista? Run dialog, Command prompt, launchbar, etc...? Was any text , like 'Please wait' maybe, displayed over the empty list? Could you open the applet normally from the Control Panel and then try launching it via command again and let me know any differences you notice? Also do you get a UAC prompt in either case? You can also try launching it with the following command line:

%windir%\System32\OptionalFeatures.exe
I learned to say the pledge of allegiance
Before they beat me bloody down at the station
They haven't got a word out of me since
I got a billion years probation
- The MC5

Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the danger of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of ''crackpot'' than the stigma of conformity.
- Thomas J. Watson, Sr

It's not rocket surgery.
- Me

I recommend reading through my Bio before responding to any of my posts. It could save both of us a lot of time and frustration.

oblivion

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2013, 12:48 PM »
Just to make sure we're on the same page, how did you try launching it in Vista?

From a cmd.exe prompt.

It asked for elevated privileges nicely (via a UAC prompt), opened the Windows Features window, put "Please wait..." in the rectangular area below the descriptive bit of text at the top, and I did as it suggested.

I'm doing it now, in fact. Waiting, that is.

Ooh. I was too impatient this morning. It's populated the window with the stuff I'd expected to see.  :Thmbsup:

You can also try launching it with the following command line:
%windir%\System32\OptionalFeatures.exe
Yes, that works too.

Okay, so for what it's worth, it works in Vista. The "it takes ages to populate the dialog" thing might just be because this machine's a few years old -- and, of course, it's running Vista :)
-- bests, Tim

...this space unintentionally left blank.

Vurbal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • Mostly harmless
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2013, 01:42 PM »
It asked for elevated privileges nicely (via a UAC prompt), opened the Windows Features window, put "Please wait..." in the rectangular area below the descriptive bit of text at the top, and I did as it suggested.

Great! I asked about the Please wait... text because when it doesn't work in Windows 7 the Please wait... message doesn't show up either - or sometimes it flashes on the screen for just a split second. As long as you see that it should be working.
I learned to say the pledge of allegiance
Before they beat me bloody down at the station
They haven't got a word out of me since
I got a billion years probation
- The MC5

Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the danger of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of ''crackpot'' than the stigma of conformity.
- Thomas J. Watson, Sr

It's not rocket surgery.
- Me

I recommend reading through my Bio before responding to any of my posts. It could save both of us a lot of time and frustration.