ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

MS Virtual Server 2005 free !!

<< < (2/3) > >>

Carol Haynes:
Just spotted this on VMWare ...

http://vmware.rsc02.net/servlet/campaignrespondent?_ID_=vmwi.1150&email=email&code=tco_uk_vmware_1

mwb1100:
hmm...
i'd be interested in knowing if this is right or wrong:
The Microsoft Virtual Server is a more-refined successor to the "Virtual PC" product I've written about in the past
--- End quote ---
-mouser (May 11, 2006, 07:14 AM)
--- End quote ---
The core of Virtual PC and Virtual Server are the same.  The major differences (that I recall) are:

1) server does not support virtual sound card in the VM
2) Virtual Server is administered via an IIS website by default.  Virtual server is fully administerable using COM interfaces, so an alternative admin console can be created (and I wish someone would - I find the default website to be a pain to use).
3) to access the screen/keyboard/mouse of the VM on Virtual server you must use a VMRC application (Virtual Machine Remote Control) or access the VMs through Virtual Server's administration website (which loads the VMRC as an ActiveX Control)
4) Virtual Server supports virtual SCSI drives (this has nothing to do with how your actual drives are connected) and multithreading (each VM gets its own thread - I think).

I'm sure there are a some other things, but those are the big ones.

Note that VMWare offer a free 'Player' that can run VM's created with Workstation - there are people who have created utilities to configure/modify VMs so you don't actually need Workstation to create the VMs.

VMWare also have a Server product that they have released for free (it's currently in Beta).

All of these free VM tools (both MS and VMware) should be checked out - they are incredibly useful!

By the way, the MS Virtual Machine software co-exists with VMWare virtualization software just fine.

mouser:
welcome to the site mwb1100.  very usefull post. (like your avatar too by the way!).

so this kind of answers my question also.
if you want to use a nice desktop tool to run another virtual pc in a window and easily test software, virtualpc2005 and vmware workstation are the tools of choice (neither free).

zridling:
Anyone tried out Altiris SVS (Software Virtualization Solution)? PCMag is offering it for free these days, too, and has won a lot of awards.

Download Altiris Software Vizualization Solution 2.0 (at bottom of article)

zridling:
Oh, and yea, welcome aboard, mwb1100!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version