topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 1:56 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: MS Virtual Server 2005 free !!  (Read 9675 times)

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
MS Virtual Server 2005 free !!
« on: May 11, 2006, 04:59 AM »
MS have moved on from VirtualPC to Virtual Server 2005 and what's more they have made it free (it used to be quite expensive).

Presumably this in response to VMWare's idea to give away free virtual appliances (pre built installations of Linux and others for use in VMWare Player).

Whatever it is certainly good value for money ...

http://www.microsoft...lserver/default.mspx

I wonder how VMWare will respond to this?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: MS Virtual Server 2005 free !!
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2006, 05:09 AM »
just remember, MS virtualpc and vmware workstation, the desktop apps, are still not free.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2006, 06:26 AM »
Hmm .. this is what I read (in LangList) ....

$999 Virtual Server Product Now Free!
Fred: Now that Microsoft has released its Virtual Server for free, I was wondering if you have any tips about setting it up and using it, since you use it and like it. Thanks!  ---BBentley

The Microsoft Virtual Server is a more-refined successor to the "Virtual PC" product I've written about in the past--- and that I still use regularly for software testing. It lets me try out potentially dangerous tweaks and changes without risking my main PC or having to set up a second, stand-alone system. In fact, VPC technology is so good that I've been able to steadily reduce the number of PCs here in my office. Where before I used to have a large number of multi-boot machines for different versions of Windows and Linux, I'm more and more able to run everything I need on virtualized PCs inside my main system. It's wonderfully convenient--- and saves energy and space, as well.

The VPC software used to cost $50; the Virtual Server cost as much as $999. Now it's free: http://www.microsoft...lserver/default.mspx

VPC info, much of which still applies to the now-free Virtual Server product:
http://search.atomz....=0008002a-sp00000000

Why is Microsoft doing this? It's not charity, of course. <g> They're under intense pressure from "VMware," whose product has some advantages; and whose free "virtual appliances" are revolutionizing the distribution of software and entire OSes. If you thought a plug-and-play "Live CD" version of Linux was cool, wait until you try a Linux appliance--- a complete virtualized Linux PC, already set up and ready to use--- that runs entirely within your current operating system, and free! http://www.vmware.com/vmtn/appliances/

The virtualization battle is heating up, and we'll all benefit from the competition!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2006, 07:14 AM »
hmm...
i'd be interested in knowing if this is right or wrong:
The Microsoft Virtual Server is a more-refined successor to the "Virtual PC" product I've written about in the past

i thought they were very different products.  if virtual server really is usable as a standard windows app for software testing then this is a big deal.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2006, 07:32 AM »
I don't think this is only a result of pressure from VMware. I think this is also a result of the Intel Macs. One of the reasons why Microsoft bought VPC was to make money selling Windows to Mac users. Unlike VMware, there was a Mac version of VPC, at the time they bought it. If they can now sell Mac users a copy of Windows without selling a copy of VPC along with it, they are going to lose money on their VPC investment.

Giving it away, even for a limited time (I don't mean trial) makes good business sense in the long run. If they can get more people to try it by offering it for free, they can hope to gain loyal users that may pay in the future for newer versions.

This could be one of those 'here today-gone tomorrow' offers, if it is the full version, and it does what all the hype says it can. Which means, if you want it you better jump on it now.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2006, 05:45 PM »
Just spotted this on VMWare ...

http://vmware.rsc02....code=tco_uk_vmware_1

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2006, 04:41 PM »
hmm...
i'd be interested in knowing if this is right or wrong:
The Microsoft Virtual Server is a more-refined successor to the "Virtual PC" product I've written about in the past
The core of Virtual PC and Virtual Server are the same.  The major differences (that I recall) are:

1) server does not support virtual sound card in the VM
2) Virtual Server is administered via an IIS website by default.  Virtual server is fully administerable using COM interfaces, so an alternative admin console can be created (and I wish someone would - I find the default website to be a pain to use).
3) to access the screen/keyboard/mouse of the VM on Virtual server you must use a VMRC application (Virtual Machine Remote Control) or access the VMs through Virtual Server's administration website (which loads the VMRC as an ActiveX Control)
4) Virtual Server supports virtual SCSI drives (this has nothing to do with how your actual drives are connected) and multithreading (each VM gets its own thread - I think).

I'm sure there are a some other things, but those are the big ones.

Note that VMWare offer a free 'Player' that can run VM's created with Workstation - there are people who have created utilities to configure/modify VMs so you don't actually need Workstation to create the VMs.

VMWare also have a Server product that they have released for free (it's currently in Beta).

All of these free VM tools (both MS and VMware) should be checked out - they are incredibly useful!

By the way, the MS Virtual Machine software co-exists with VMWare virtualization software just fine.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2006, 04:47 PM »
welcome to the site mwb1100.  very usefull post. (like your avatar too by the way!).

so this kind of answers my question also.
if you want to use a nice desktop tool to run another virtual pc in a window and easily test software, virtualpc2005 and vmware workstation are the tools of choice (neither free).

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2006, 11:54 PM »
Anyone tried out Altiris SVS (Software Virtualization Solution)? PCMag is offering it for free these days, too, and has won a lot of awards.

Download Altiris Software Vizualization Solution 2.0 (at bottom of article)

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2006, 11:55 PM »
Oh, and yea, welcome aboard, mwb1100!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2006, 12:16 AM »
Anyone tried out Altiris SVS

see -> https://www.donation...dex.php?topic=3176.0

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2006, 03:25 PM »
if you want to use a nice desktop tool to run another virtual pc in a window and easily test software, virtualpc2005 and vmware workstation are the tools of choice (neither free).

I mostly use VMware workstation - not dirt cheap, but a nice bit of software. However, I think that VMware Player might fit the bill for the above if you're looking for a simple, free desktop VM. Just download (http://www.vmware.com/download/player/) and install it, then to create a custom virtual machine, you can do one of the following:

1) download one of VMware's 'community Virtual machines' (http://www.vmware.co...ppliances/directory/) that have specs (memory, disk size, etc.) how you want, then boot it from a bootable CD, format the virtual disk and install your test OS.  See http://www.virtualiz...al-machine-with.html for details.

2) go to http://www.easyvmx.com/ - this sites hosts a virtual machine creator.  You plug in the parameters you want for a VM (again - memory, disk size, etc.) and it creates a set of VM files for you to download in a .zip.  EasyVMX.com lets you configure nearly all possible VM parameters - for starting out, I suggest using the 'super easy' page which presents only the most important.  Since the virtual disk is empty, the download is very small.  Once again, boot the VM from an install CD, and you're gold!

Note that even though you're asked to select an OS for the VM, that only sets some default parameters - you will still need to install the OS for the VM (and have the proper licensing - it could get expensive with WinXP).

The nice thing about VMs is that they're easy to copy - set up a WinXP (or whatever) VM, copy it to a backup location, then use the VM for your tests.  If and when it gets hosed, just delete it and copy the clean VM from the backup.

Also, even though VMWare player will allow you to run only one VM at a time, you can have as many VMs available to run as you have disk space for.  Using VMs is easily the best way to check out open source operating systems if you don't have the spare hardware to use.

Oh, and thanks everyone for the greetings!