topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:46 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Chocolate Medicine  (Read 3360 times)

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Chocolate Medicine
« on: August 14, 2013, 08:19 PM »

The Therapeutic Uses of Medical Chocolate, Our Favorite Food

The concept of medical chocolate may seem an odd one to some people, but true chocolate lovers won't be surprised to learn that our ambrosia does, in fact, have some therapeutic uses beyond its ability to soothe the savage beast. Or at least, its major ingredient does. Stick around, and we'll explain what we mean.

http://www.extremech...r-favorite-food.html

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Re: Chocolate Medicine
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 12:07 PM »
I've heard about and read about the benefits of chocolate for years. However, the information coming out more recently seems to be better. The problem is that people will think that it's "healthy" to eat another Mars bar or something similarly idiotic. It's relatively limited and you need to choose the right chocolate. e.g. Apples are healthy, but chopping up 1 apple with 1 kg of sugar and a pound of butter probably isn't going to be all that wonderful.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 12:32 PM »
it may also be useful in cancer prevention. At least one current patent covers this potential use.

Sorry for veering off-topic, but: can simply a use of something natural, ['potential' or not], be patented? Of course, in fairness, it could be much more complicated than just take-three-times-a-day...
Tom

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 12:37 PM »
it may also be useful in cancer prevention. At least one current patent covers this potential use.

Sorry for veering off-topic, but: can simply a use of something natural, ['potential' or not], be patented? Of course, in fairness, it could be much more complicated than just take-three-times-a-day...

Well, kind of. Aspirin is a bastardized and patented version of a natural substance. They basically just find what works, create a bastard mutant, then patent and market that. I never changes. Patents create an incentive to create shittier versions of what already exists.

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 12:23 PM »
Although there's something to be said for convenience.  When I get a headache, I'm none too keen on finding the closest local willow tree, and go about scraping and brewing enough bark to gain relief.   :P
But yes, most patented medicines have biological roots for their inspiration.  The patent lies in the extraction, isolation, manufacture and 'tweaking the dose'.  ;)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 12:33 PM »
The patent lies in the extraction, isolation, manufacture and 'tweaking the dose'.  ;)

That's not quite true. What you've described isn't patentable. You can't patent orange juice. However, if you alter the chemical composition of orange juice, you may be able to patent that. Simply creating extracts isn't "non-obvious" or "innovative". e.g. Taking something that works, then creating some random bastardization of it that still kind of works isn't innovative, but it's non-obvious, because most people aren't twisted or demented enough to realize the genius of creating an inferior product is actually an innovation and very profitable. :P ;D