ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Google: Gmail users shouldn't expect email privacy

<< < (5/9) > >>

wraith808:
That would be a bit more applicable if security is what we were talking about.  Security =/= Privacy, though they have many of the same concerns.

Renegade:
I'll just leave this here...
 (see attachment in previous post)
-app103 (August 16, 2013, 08:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

Good point. I think a lot of us take that for granted, but I doubt many people who aren't in tech or don't operate email systems know that.

That would be a bit more applicable if security is what we were talking about.  Security =/= Privacy, though they have many of the same concerns.
-wraith808 (August 16, 2013, 09:44 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah, but if it's not secure, it can't (or is harder to) be private. They're related. If you can lock things up better, you have a better chance at privacy.

But honestly, does anyone here think that email isn't fundamentally broken? I've been harping on this for years off and on.

app103:
That would be a bit more applicable if security is what we were talking about.  Security =/= Privacy, though they have many of the same concerns.
-wraith808 (August 16, 2013, 09:44 AM)
--- End quote ---

Would you expect any sort of security or privacy with a hand written letter, placed in an unsealed envelope, handed off to a chain of strangers to be finally delivered to its intended recipient (and I am not talking about any government run postal service here)? Any one of the strangers anywhere between you and the recipient could easily snoop on its contents and do whatever they wanted with any info gained from that snooping.

Email is like sending a postcard. There isn't even an envelope.

The only way an email can remain private and secure between point of origin and final destination is if it is encrypted with PGP or something similar.

Stoic Joker:
--- End quote ---

ROFLMFAO!!! That is BRILLIANT!! Seriously, I'm so frigging tired of having that conversation I could scream ... I'm going to have the graphics department blow that up to poster size and hang it in my office!

:-* :-* Thank You!!!  :-* :-*

app103:
--- End quote ---

ROFLMFAO!!! That is BRILLIANT!! Seriously, I'm so frigging tired of having that conversation I could scream ... I'm going to have the graphics department blow that up to poster size and hang it in my office!

:-* :-* Thank You!!!  :-* :-*
-Stoic Joker (August 16, 2013, 11:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

I created that graphic for an upcoming article I will be writing about email security and how it relates to website security.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version