ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Special User Sections > General Review Discussion

Opinions on remote PC control software

<< < (5/10) > >>

ToxMox:
Cool.  I think I'll start using UltraVNC SingleClick to get me into the PC so then I can deploy LogMeIn Free.  Then I can get into the machine anytime I want and then I can run SingleClick remotely to enable me to have the file transfers that LMI Free doesn't include. :)

mukestar:
I used to work for an ISP and we just had a habbit for all the remote machines to install PC Anywhere and TightVNC (was probably just VNC in them days, but you get the picture PC Anywhere in 1998 had a bad habbit of locking its process, (well NT4 probably was more to blame)) and we had the backup of VNC to get control back. As ive been using it since 1998 ive just got in the habbit of using still, even though the VNC projects have caught up on the features (file transfer, synching etc).

So PC Anywheres my personal favorite, its secure, works great on low bandwidth and allows you to build your own distros.

app103:
TightVNC is the only one I have tried, and it works on 9x.

The client machine doesn't even have to have anything installed, as you can access the host machine with just about any web browser.

My testing of TightVNC was done on a slow 9x PC on 33.6k dialup. It probably would have worked better with more RAM and a faster connection.

One thing I noticed is how various antivirus products react to it. Some not too well. McAfee would cause the PC to lock up just for a shortcut to TightVNC appearing on the taskbar. (it tends to do that with any software that has some sort of server capabilities in it). This caused startup times to increase to 20 min on that machine.

AVG seems to get along well with it though...no locking up.

JavaJones:
God bless McAffee. Can someone remind me why they're still in business? :D

I believe UltraVNC has the web-based (java, I think) client capability as well, but I've never tried it. I should check that out as I use it quite a lot.

- Oshyan

app103:
God bless McAffee. Can someone remind me why they're still in business? :D

-JavaJones (July 12, 2006, 11:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

Because they have a contract with AOL and AOL gives away their firewall and antivirus to all their customers?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version