ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Special User Sections > General Review Discussion

Opinions on remote PC control software

<< < (4/10) > >>

cettolox:
I have used a lot of remote control programs, now I stick with www.logmein.com free verson: I control some 30 PC of friends ad it is very simple to setup. Moreover it is the first one that I can use to control a NAT-PROXIED pc from a NAT-PROXIED pc without difficult configurations (server, tunnel, callback, etc.)

And also the performance is acceptable: as good as tight/real/ultra vnc.

Bye,

/Stefano

f0dder:
The thing that seems to give the best speed is Microsoft's own Remote Desktop. Even UltraVNC with the GDI mirror driver isn't as fast, lags a bit even on a LAN. Most VNCs have been pretty slow for me - bearable on a LAN, but not elsewhere. The official RealVNC client is somewhat better than most of the others, but pretty duh; it's commercial software.

It's been a while since I tried any of the dedicated "remote control" applications, but back then most suffered the same problem as the VNC clients: they poll and grab screenshots.

By the way, Remote Desktop and VNC should *always* be used through VPN or a SSH tunnel. *always*.

The problem with Remote Desktop is that, unless you're on a terminal server, it will log off the active user (well, switch-user on XP).

mouser:
another mentioned on betanews today: PlanetRemote
http://www.planetdns.net/menu/list/86/page/73/

Mark0:
I use UltraVNC all the time at work, for tele-assist about an hundreds of clients on a variety of platforms. In term of raw speed, as f0dder said, RDP is surely the king.
We moved to *VNC after dumping PCAnywhere. We used it for years on DOS, but didn't like at all the win versions (it gave us a lot of troubles).
About UltraVNC, I like the fact that I can take control of the desktop without loggin out the user (as RDP do normally). Also, with the SingleClick addon is very easy to build a simple EXE (that could be sent via e-mail or simply downloaded from a webpage) that will make the client host call our listener, without worring about firewall / NAT settings.
In many situations we also use it trought Hamachi and that make it even more easier (and secure, off course).

Bye!

JavaJones:
Yes, I really love the "SingleClick" setup with UltraVNC. I put together a little helper app for my work, complete with our logo. :D I manage computers across 3 campuses for an educational insitution so it's extremely helpful. People have been blown away by it. They had no idea such things were possible.

- Oshyan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version