topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:47 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Opinions on remote PC control software  (Read 72921 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Opinions on remote PC control software
« on: May 10, 2006, 12:19 PM »
New member KPR has expressed some interest in doing a comprehensive review of remote-pc control software.

I think it would be fantastic to have such a review, and I thought we could help out a bit by suggesting programs we know about and features we care about.

I'll start off with a couple i've tried:
  • http://www.remotelyanywhere.com/ - really cool part is that the client can connect from a browser, which makes it ideal if you are in a place where you cant install a special client.
  • http://www.famatech.com/ - Remove Administrator - this is one i actually use.  they seem to be a bit stuck in terms of developing it, but it works pretty well and i like the interface.

Features i care about:
  • Speed
  • Easy of running client
  • Options for screen resizing (stretch, fullscreen, windowed)
  • Nice options on local pc for warning on user connect, passwords, etc. (i want to know if someone is trying to control my pc!)
  • Logging
  • Encryption
  • File transfer (asynchronous would be nice so i can do other stuff at same time)
  • Easy to enable and disable
  • Easy to keep track of different connections
  • Passwords and other options for allowing connections
« Last Edit: May 10, 2006, 03:08 PM by brotherS »

m_s

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Opinions on remote pc control software
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2006, 12:25 PM »
I've used LogMeIn (http://www.logmein.com), and that works very nicely, but works out to be quite expensive if you're wanting to access more than a few computers, though the free option is probably fine for home users wanting to work between locations.

Currently I use TightVNC, which is free and plenty powerful, and easily configured to work with most firewalls: http://www.tightvnc.com/  I use this for my remote work on clients computers, and it's really easy to configure and use.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2006, 12:39 PM »
Not much time ago, i also searched for something in this field, because the native windows RDP didn't cut it for me. I found urtravnc which looked pretty decent and worked well, and had the advantage that it allowed logging in even from a computer without anything instaled, i.e. from the web browser.
I couldn't make it work over my router, though.

KenR

• Super
  • Blogger
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2006, 12:43 PM »
Hi all. First of all, let me say I'm very excited about this website and being involved in this project. After some review, some of the more pupular and highly rated remote control applications I have come across are:

GoToMyPC
Remote Administrator
Tight VNC
VNC
LogMeIn
Access Remote PC
COOL Remote Control
Simple Desktop
Beyond Remote
Anyplace Control
GotoMyPC
Desktop Rover
eMando Remote Control
EMCO Remote Desktop Professional
LogMeIn Free
Remote Support System
NetSupport Manager
Remote Explorer
Im InTouch

I use DameWare Mini Remote Control. I find the name misleading as it has a pretty comprehesive set of features. File transfer could be enhanced and screen updates are not as fast as Real VNC. Otherwise, it is one of the best remote control applications I have used. It can be found at http://www.dameware.com/.

I would value any input about experiences that people have had with software of this type.

Thanks, KPR
Kenneth P. Reeder, Ph.D.
Clinical Psychologist
Jacksonville, North Carolina  28546

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2006, 12:46 PM »
there is also:
Damware NetOp - http://www.netop.com/netop-1.htm
seems to get updated quite frequently.

KenR

• Super
  • Blogger
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2006, 01:47 PM »
Here are all the programs previously mentioned, ordered with their websites. Now I just have to start acutally reviewing them. :o
KPR

Access Remote PC (www.access-remote-pc.com)
Anyplace Control (www.anyplace-control.com)
Beyond Remote (www.dataapples.com)
COOL Remote Control (www.yaosoft.com)
DameWare Mini Remote Control (www.dameware.com)
Danware NetOp (www.netop.com/netop-1.htm)
Desktop Rover (www.neslosoftware.com)
eMando Remote Control (www.emando.net)
EMCO Remote Desktop Professional (www.emco.is)
GoToMyPC (www.gotomypc.com)
Im InTouch (www.globalpcnetwork.com)
LogMeIn (www.logmein.com)
LogMeIn Free (www.3amlabs.com)
NetSupport Manager (www.netsupportsoftware.com)
Remotely AnyWhere (www.remotelyanywhere.com)
Remove Administrator (www.famatech.com)
Remote Administrator (www.radmin.com)
Remote Explorer (www.remoteexplorer.com)
Remote Support System (www.remotesuportsystem.com)
Simple Desktop (www.moogsoftware.com)
Tight VNC (www.tightvnc.com)
UltraVNC (www.ultravnc.sourceforge.net)
VNC (www.realvnc.com)

Edit by brotherS: I added "www." a few more times to make all the URLs clickable
Kenneth P. Reeder, Ph.D.
Clinical Psychologist
Jacksonville, North Carolina  28546
« Last Edit: May 10, 2006, 03:07 PM by brotherS »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Opinions on remote PC control software
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2006, 03:25 AM »
May 15, 2006
Famatech has announced the beta release of the completely re-designed Radmin 3.0. The new release is the fastest and most affordable remote control solution available on the U.S. market - complete with extremely rapid screen updates, military-grade security as well as newly added multi-user text and voice chat tools.

http://www.radmin.com/

taichimaster

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2006, 03:46 AM »
Just to add to the list...We use funk proxy remote control at work.   Nothing really special about the software but it just works.

http://www.juniper.n...ducts/aaa/proxy.html

At home, I just use RDP :p

Rover

• Master of Smilies
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2006, 05:32 PM »
RE RAdmin

There are a lot of things I like about it.  It lets you do file xfer.  You can screencast your screen to someone.  I feel pretty safe about it being secure.  However, I don't like that you have to set up (yet aother) a hole in your firewall and port forwarding.  I also am not thrilled about the whole client install thing for a quick remote control session.  I liked it enough, I signed up as a reseller. 

I had RAdmin installed for a long time and used it successfully.  When I rebuilt my box last year, it didn't make it back on.  VNC has sort of taken it's place.  (Although VNC cannot xfer files)

I think I'd really like something like Gotomypc, but I'm not willing to pay those guys $20/month for it.  The benefits of GOTOMYPC being:  1) No firewall  2) No client setup 3) no domain name issues.

$0.02
Insert Brilliant Sig line here

ljbirns

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2006, 02:18 PM »
I use real vnc  > http://www.realvnc.com/

I tried Ultra VNC which is free but I could not make it work.  Real VNC has extensive documentation and when I e-mailed them for help they responded very quickly (  they are in GB so a 5 hour time diff ) several times and helped me  to configure .
$ 30.00  and it works.

Lew

Lew

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2006, 02:39 PM »
Please dont forget microsoft windows remote desktop. Its faster than most of the solutions I've tried (radmin used to be my choice until I moved to RDP) and it even supports copy-paste from remote host (to include files), so you can copy text from a clipboard on remote pc and have it stored in your clipboard on your controlling pc. If you do a review, please, include remote desktop as I feel it is the best solution (included with Windows XP Pro or Media Center) and is an integral part of any remote control review.

quantumrider

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2006, 04:23 PM »
I second the thought to include remote desktop, I use it all the time.

Also, any chance to have a second part for this review to go over remote backup options for things like 2003 server and IIS and such? Including maybe some of the more reliable and trustworthy backup services out there?

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2006, 04:26 PM »
I would think that data backup services should be a separate review. Remote control and remote backup are two totally separate categories and require totally different functionality.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2006, 06:31 PM »
i agree with josh, remote backup is really a whole different ballgame and shouldnt be part of *this* review.

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2006, 09:49 PM »
For freeware solutions (and that's all I use in this field) UltraVNC seems to be pretty awesome. If you can include extra features, such as Ultra's facility for making a customized mini-server that you can distributed to your clients, that would be great. Ultra does have instructions on the site for getting around tricky firewalls, NAT's, etc. btw.

There's also Fog Creek's Copilot, which is similar to GoToMyPC but is differentiated by its interesting service/payment model. https://www.copilot.com/

- Oshyan

cettolox

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2006, 04:43 AM »
I have used a lot of remote control programs, now I stick with www.logmein.com free verson: I control some 30 PC of friends ad it is very simple to setup. Moreover it is the first one that I can use to control a NAT-PROXIED pc from a NAT-PROXIED pc without difficult configurations (server, tunnel, callback, etc.)

And also the performance is acceptable: as good as tight/real/ultra vnc.

Bye,

/Stefano

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2006, 05:47 AM »
The thing that seems to give the best speed is Microsoft's own Remote Desktop. Even UltraVNC with the GDI mirror driver isn't as fast, lags a bit even on a LAN. Most VNCs have been pretty slow for me - bearable on a LAN, but not elsewhere. The official RealVNC client is somewhat better than most of the others, but pretty duh; it's commercial software.

It's been a while since I tried any of the dedicated "remote control" applications, but back then most suffered the same problem as the VNC clients: they poll and grab screenshots.

By the way, Remote Desktop and VNC should *always* be used through VPN or a SSH tunnel. *always*.

The problem with Remote Desktop is that, unless you're on a terminal server, it will log off the active user (well, switch-user on XP).
- carpe noctem

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2006, 02:48 PM »
another mentioned on betanews today: PlanetRemote
http://www.planetdns...enu/list/86/page/73/

Mark0

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mark's home
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2006, 04:53 AM »
I use UltraVNC all the time at work, for tele-assist about an hundreds of clients on a variety of platforms. In term of raw speed, as f0dder said, RDP is surely the king.
We moved to *VNC after dumping PCAnywhere. We used it for years on DOS, but didn't like at all the win versions (it gave us a lot of troubles).
About UltraVNC, I like the fact that I can take control of the desktop without loggin out the user (as RDP do normally). Also, with the SingleClick addon is very easy to build a simple EXE (that could be sent via e-mail or simply downloaded from a webpage) that will make the client host call our listener, without worring about firewall / NAT settings.
In many situations we also use it trought Hamachi and that make it even more easier (and secure, off course).

Bye!

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2006, 01:32 AM »
Yes, I really love the "SingleClick" setup with UltraVNC. I put together a little helper app for my work, complete with our logo. :D I manage computers across 3 campuses for an educational insitution so it's extremely helpful. People have been blown away by it. They had no idea such things were possible.

- Oshyan

ToxMox

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2006, 06:51 AM »
Cool.  I think I'll start using UltraVNC SingleClick to get me into the PC so then I can deploy LogMeIn Free.  Then I can get into the machine anytime I want and then I can run SingleClick remotely to enable me to have the file transfers that LMI Free doesn't include. :)

mukestar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2006, 06:33 PM »
I used to work for an ISP and we just had a habbit for all the remote machines to install PC Anywhere and TightVNC (was probably just VNC in them days, but you get the picture PC Anywhere in 1998 had a bad habbit of locking its process, (well NT4 probably was more to blame)) and we had the backup of VNC to get control back. As ive been using it since 1998 ive just got in the habbit of using still, even though the VNC projects have caught up on the features (file transfer, synching etc).

So PC Anywheres my personal favorite, its secure, works great on low bandwidth and allows you to build your own distros.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2006, 06:35 PM by mukestar »

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2006, 10:53 PM »
TightVNC is the only one I have tried, and it works on 9x.

The client machine doesn't even have to have anything installed, as you can access the host machine with just about any web browser.

My testing of TightVNC was done on a slow 9x PC on 33.6k dialup. It probably would have worked better with more RAM and a faster connection.

One thing I noticed is how various antivirus products react to it. Some not too well. McAfee would cause the PC to lock up just for a shortcut to TightVNC appearing on the taskbar. (it tends to do that with any software that has some sort of server capabilities in it). This caused startup times to increase to 20 min on that machine.

AVG seems to get along well with it though...no locking up.

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2006, 11:15 PM »
God bless McAffee. Can someone remind me why they're still in business? :D

I believe UltraVNC has the web-based (java, I think) client capability as well, but I've never tried it. I should check that out as I use it quite a lot.

- Oshyan

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2006, 11:27 PM »
God bless McAffee. Can someone remind me why they're still in business? :D

Because they have a contract with AOL and AOL gives away their firewall and antivirus to all their customers?