ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Special User Sections > General Review Discussion

Opinions on remote PC control software

<< < (9/10) > >>

yksyks:
Then TeamViewer might be for you (mentioned in reply #35 above). Personally, I prefer LogMeIn, but for clients or friends that require just one-time help the TeamViewer is an ideal solution, simple to use, including file transfers, etc.

PhilB66:
How about TightVNC? Was mentioned before on the forums

Stoic Joker:
The thing that seems to give the best speed is Microsoft's own Remote Desktop. Even UltraVNC with the GDI mirror driver isn't as fast, lags a bit even on a LAN. Most VNCs have been pretty slow for me - bearable on a LAN, but not elsewhere. The official RealVNC client is somewhat better than most of the others, but pretty duh; it's commercial software.

It's been a while since I tried any of the dedicated "remote control" applications, but back then most suffered the same problem as the VNC clients: they poll and grab screenshots.

By the way, Remote Desktop and VNC should *always* be used through VPN or a SSH tunnel. *always*.

The problem with Remote Desktop is that, unless you're on a terminal server, it will log off the active user (well, switch-user on XP).
-f0dder (May 23, 2006, 05:47 AM)
--- End quote ---
True but, Logoff user only applies if using a client OS (XP/Vista/7) the servers allow (technically) 3 sessions in TS "administrative mode" one for the console & 2 Remote sessions.

Why the VPN requirement for RDP? Granted while not the default, RDP natively supports FIPS (which is AES based). Depending on the nature of the deployment (e.g. how prone to be targeted it is) I see no problem with using RDP with the FIPS required setting on a bastard port.

lanux128:
for no-frills connection, i often opt for Ammyy Admin.

• http://www.ammyy.com/

ipman:
I used Radmin (Famatech), RealVNC and OpenVNC.  And IMHO Radmin keeps connection better.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version