ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Special User Sections > General Review Discussion

Opinions on remote PC control software

<< < (8/10) > >>

y0himba:
I sincerely believe that there are too many free solutions to require paying for a remote control software.  UltraVNC alone is incredible, fast, and efficient, with a lot of options, an easily configured standalone for clients, browser access and more.  

Can we add "Teamviewer" to the list?  http://www.teamviewer.com
Teamviewer is also free, fast, and has incredibly efficient scaling of the remote display, and a down-loadable, configurable single executable server.  Free for non-commercial use.  

Carol Haynes:
Anyone know of any free software to control a client machine? It has to be simple for the client (i.e. click a link on a webpage to download a small app and run it) and have good remote control features.

I have been using Mikogo (and like it) but I find it a bit slow and heavy on bandwidth and I have also found in a number of cases the mouse clicks don't match the visible positioning (which is frustrating when you miss clicking something by 2 icons!).

Any other free alternatives that are simple to use and secure?

PhilB66:
Search the forum for CrossLoop and for Logmein. Here's a link to one of the threads on this topic: Easy remote access to my home pc?

4wd:
Any other free alternatives that are simple to use and secure?-Carol Haynes (July 15, 2009, 07:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

I just use RDP, I haven't found anything that's faster or less resource intensive, possibly not as simple as, for example, CrossLoop but not that hard either.

More specifically, Remote Assistance - they send an invite, you use it to connect, they approve, (at least that's how I remember it working).

As far as security goes, isn't anything you get them to run going to leave an open port in their firewall after requesting access through it?

EDIT: Assuming it's Remote Assistance + Windows Firewall, Windows will close the port after use.

Carol Haynes:
Search the forum for CrossLoop and for Logmein. Here's a link to one of the threads on this topic: Easy remote access to my home pc?
-PhilB66 (July 15, 2009, 07:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

Don't really want to use Crossloop as it required an email address to download the client software and then tries to encourage the setting up of an account before getting to an access code. Not sure whether they are having problems with their servers but all I got when I tried it was 'waiting for connection' and lots of pointers to other users who might be able to help me. Not what I want.

LogMeIn is a fine product but not for offering customer support because even the free version required that you set up an account and install an application. A client would then have to give me their account details to allow me to see their computer. There is a LogMeIn for providing client support but it is far to expensive for my needs. I perhaps want to remotely support up to 5 or 6 people a month and the LogMeIn remote support offering costs thousands of dollars.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version