ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Special User Sections > General Review Discussion

Opinions on remote PC control software

<< < (7/10) > >>

wreckedcarzz:
I gave TeamViewer a shot about a month ago attempting to replace LogMeIn free for my backup PC admin tasks, and it is similar to CrossLoop (in a negative way) - as far as I could tell it could be assumed that TV could be used as a remote control application:

TeamViewer establishes connections to any PC all around the world within just a few seconds. You can remote control your partner's PC as if you were sitting right in front of it.

--- End quote ---

But you have to have a person at BOTH computers to use it, and the process to establish the connection is strange and annoying; to add to that, if you go the way I did and assign a TV access password to the box, and someone gets the password (so they also have physical access to your machine), you have two compromised computers already. There was no simple way to change a password that I could find (but I lost interest quickly after finding it wouldn't accomplish what I needed anyways).

Needless to say I'm still riding with LMI Free - if only CrossLoop would make a "remote admin" mode to go along with the tried-and-true helper setup they have now... (hint hint to any passing CrossLoop devs... ;))

brody686:
In a conversation about remote control software I'm surprised no one has mentioned Proxy Networks' Proxy Pro 6. Yes, it's enterprise grade so you do have to pay for it, but it's worth it. Think about security issues, especially if you're using it for commercial reasons. Also, I don't know of any other such software where you can browse through the controlled computer's hardware list.

wr975:
I gave TeamViewer a shot about a month ago attempting to replace LogMeIn free
--- End quote ---

I don't know if it's true, but I think TeamViewer Free has a time limit. >:( After using it for some minutes, the connection was suddenly gone and I had to reconnect again.

Never had such problems with LogMeIn Free.

steeladept:
In a conversation about remote control software I'm surprised no one has mentioned Proxy Networks' Proxy Pro 6. Yes, it's enterprise grade so you do have to pay for it, but it's worth it. Think about security issues, especially if you're using it for commercial reasons. Also, I don't know of any other such software where you can browse through the controlled computer's hardware list.
-brody686 (April 13, 2009, 11:23 PM)
--- End quote ---
Just a note:  This topic originated in 2006.  Last update before yours was October of last year.  Now I can't access their site (Work firewall in the way again  >:(), but I am guessing it is newer than that.  In 2006, they may very well have been a very small fish with no real presence in the market so no one noticed.  Just my guess.  That said, I want to check it out.  If priced right, perhaps our admins would like to consider replacing Intel's LanDesk (well there is more than just remote control they do with that, but it can be a PITA regardless!)  Thanks for the info.

Nikson!:
PC File Transfer, quite happy with it. I don't have any problems with routers and firewalls, I can not just transfer files, but also run programs on the remote computer. Works always stable and costs not much.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version