ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Programming/Coder humor

<< < (21/41) > >>

mwb1100:
Make the 8 a 10 and break down the 5 into 2 and 3, with the 2 going into the 8 to make 10, then add 3 to the 10 to get 13.

Who thinks like that?
-Renegade (March 30, 2015, 09:16 AM)
--- End quote ---

I didn't watch the youtube, but I will admit that this is the kind of logic that my mind goes through for a lot of arithmetic.  It works for me, but I'm not sure I could explain it well to someone else. And I am certain that it's not a mechanism that works for everyone.

A possibly better example than solving 8+5 might be how would you solve 97*3 in your head?  I think that many people would juggle the numbers so that it's 100*3 - 3*3, which is easy to work out in your head (or mine at least) as 300-9 = 291.  I know that how I'd do it, and it's a similar transformation to 8+5 being the same as 8+2 + 3 = 10 + 3 = 13. It's just that the 8+5 problem is pretty simple by itself, so there's probably less need for the transformation 'trick'.

I think that there are different ways of approaching arithmetic, and that there's not 'one-true-method' that works for everyone.  Each person should find their own best way to working out basic arithmetic, and I think the best elementary math teachers are the ones who are able to somehow guide different students to the different ways that work for them.

TaoPhoenix:
A possibly better example than solving 8+5 might be how would you solve 97*3 in your head?  I think that many people would juggle the numbers so that it's 100*3 - 3*3, which is easy to work out in your head (or mine at least) as 300-9 = 291.  I know that how I'd do it, and it's a similar transformation to 8+5 being the same as 8+2 + 3 = 10 + 3 = 13. It's just that the 8+5 problem is pretty simple by itself, so there's probably less need for the transformation 'trick'.
-mwb1100 (March 31, 2015, 05:08 AM)
--- End quote ---

This is exactly what I was saying earlier.

I think there's a "goldilocks" theme here.

"Everyone" knows that 8+5=13. And then in a later class they teach you "estimating" so that if you're quickly glancing at (97*3)-3 and it's not "sorta around 290" then you have a problem.

And then everything else gets handled with combinations of calculators and software so most people don't need to pull the final answer to (97*3)-3 by hand unless they're in a special situation. Even if I think I could get that one, I'd just do it on a calculator because it's not worth the risk of getting it right 9/10 times and then the last time you're just wiped and botch it and the error travels along with your data and really wrecks something. You get zero credit for doing the other nine "the cool kid way" if your last one then causes $1000 in implicit damages like the value of people's time, then plus reputation dishonor damage when for example you're signing a contract and your change order has a math blunder in it!
:tellme:

Renegade:
I didn't watch the youtube, but I will admit that this is the kind of logic that my mind goes through for a lot of arithmetic.  It works for me, but I'm not sure I could explain it well to someone else. And I am certain that it's not a mechanism that works for everyone.
--- End quote ---

I think in the same way for math, but then again, I tend to get a lot of flak from people for the way I think.

However, my guess is that math classes were boring for you because they were easy. Am I right there? The beginning of boredom with math for me was in grade 1 because it was all too easy. I caught Hell for working ahead in my math book.

I think that there are different ways of approaching arithmetic, and that there's not 'one-true-method' that works for everyone.  Each person should find their own best way to working out basic arithmetic, and I think the best elementary math teachers are the ones who are able to somehow guide different students to the different ways that work for them.
--- End quote ---

That seems like sage advice! :)  :Thmbsup:

One of the things that I love in this thread, is how those numbers, frequencies and patterns can turn into a laugh.

And I'll stand beside the 6-pack theory for counting! It's as valid as any! :) Or, once you can actually count in hex, it's pretty easy! 8)

MilesAhead:
Q: If Jesus was a programmer what tools would he use?

A:Cross Compilers

ewemoa:
What does HDD stand for?

SpoilerApart from the obvious, a couple of answers at:
  https://dlutzy.wordpress.com/2011/08/21/driven-development/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version