ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Found Deals and Discounts

why would you want to buy PowerDesk?

(1/3) > >>

Curt:
Update: PowerDesk Pro 9 is out!-Darwin (December 26, 2012, 05:22 PM)
--- End quote ---
And ???-Carol Haynes (December 26, 2012, 06:07 PM)
--- End quote ---
go get it!-superboyac (December 26, 2012, 06:45 PM)
--- End quote ---
Seriously why would you want to buy this?-Carol Haynes (December 26, 2012, 07:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

PowerDesk Pro 9 is on a fixed offer at Bits du Jour; normal price minus 30% => $28. Normally offers are good, but being on a fixed offer at BdJ is maybe not so good, because very often it signals that maintenance has stopped.

I have not tried this version "9", or the previous "8.5",
so I ask the same question as Carol did (but maybe in a different tone):
"why would you want to buy this?"  :tellme:  

Maybe "you" can answer the question?

http://www.bitsdujour.com/software/powerdesk-pro-9-PowerDesk Pro 9 30% discount code
--- End quote ---

info: I commented like this at BdJ: "PowerDesk 9 at minus 30% is not an offer, but normal price. I am disappointed to see Bits du Jour taking part in such bewildering!". My reason was of course that in my memory PowerDesk has been on offer ever since it was born.

Renegade:
Nico started offering fixed deals a while back. I don't see much of a problem with it. If someone doesn't like it, they can pay full price at the vcom web site. I just checked, and it's normal full price there.

wraith808:
Nico started offering fixed deals a while back. I don't see much of a problem with it. If someone doesn't like it, they can pay full price at the vcom web site. I just checked, and it's normal full price there.
-Renegade (August 13, 2013, 04:39 AM)
--- End quote ---

This.

Midnight Rambler:
I've been a fan of Powerdesk Pro since v.5 but only at a $10 update price.  Their support, as I recall, also leaves something to be desired.  Still, can't imagine computing without that Powerdesk explorer GUI.

oblivion:
Still, can't imagine computing without that Powerdesk explorer GUI.
-Midnight Rambler (August 13, 2013, 11:52 AM)
--- End quote ---
PowerDesk was my first proper Explorer replacement; can't remember what version, but it was before VCom. Ontrack, wasn't it? Anyway, I too really liked it.

Then they (Vcom, that is) broke something and professed absolutely no willingness to mend it again. (It was something important to me but clearly not to them -- might have been .dbf viewing, might have been the synch tool, I can't remember now.) To say their support leaves something to be desired is about the most generous a statement I can imagine.

I played with a variety of desperately inadequate alternatives for a while. Then (cue sound of heavenly choir) I found Directory Opus.

Then, more recently, I found XYPlorer. (I like it quite a bit more than Opus for portable use, although the learning curve is perhaps a bit steeper, and I’d had it for quite a while before I started discovering its true power.)

Both of those two are so much better than Windows Explorer it'd make your head spin. And I don't even remember why I was so impressed with PowerDesk anymore, back in the day.

I’m completely aware that YMMV applies here in spades :) but I’d be interested to know if your preference for PowerDesk is just about familiarity, or if it genuinely has acquired functionality or something ergonomic that gives it an edge over the other (increasingly extensive!) non-Microsoft competition.

(And it’s okay if it seems stupid but marvellously great -- like, I think the ability to double-click on the desktop to open an Opus lister is a tiny bit brilliant, for instance!)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version