ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Licensing Developers?

<< < (6/7) > >>

Vurbal:
Just musing here, but I'm kind of curious as to when developers will need to have a license to write code.
-Renegade (August 11, 2013, 11:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

You already do to an extent under certain circumstances.  When working for a company, you don't- it's the company that assumes the risk.  But once you you're not 1040, you have to have a whole lot of things that while not really a license, they are, in effect, the same sort of thing- an assurance that you are responsible for your code.

Think about it:
Liability Insurance
Escrowed Code
W-9

And having been on both sides of the equation, I can tell you that those three things are a big part of the business.
-wraith808 (August 12, 2013, 09:47 AM)
--- End quote ---
That's just the price of running a business. You have concerns people in other industries don't but so do the people in those other industries.

wraith808:
That's just the price of running a business. You have concerns people in other industries don't but so do the people in those other industries.
-Vurbal (August 13, 2013, 08:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

The problem becomes when the barrier to entry is too high to be anything but a large corporation.  And most of these things are in place not because of the price of doing business, but the price of defending yourself against lawyers and the practice of defining playing fields.

In other words, we don't want you playing in our court, so we're going to make you have to pay an entry fee we know that you can't afford.

Renegade:
The problem becomes when the barrier to entry is too high to be anything but a large corporation. 
-wraith808 (August 13, 2013, 09:34 PM)
--- End quote ---

No no no! That's the ANSWER!

And most of these things are in place not because of the price of doing business, but the price of defending yourself against lawyers and the practice of defining playing fields.

In other words, we don't want you playing in our court, so we're going to make you have to pay an entry fee we know that you can't afford.
--- End quote ---

Yes. Exactly. Because people cannot be trusted. Only corporations that can afford the lawyers can be trusted.

You might die tomorrow, so where exactly do we get our pound of flesh?

But with big companies, they take care of harvesting a bit of flesh from all the people they hire, and we get our pound with nobody the wiser.

wraith808:
Hah!  Score one for me!  I was able to get Ren's tongue out of his cheek!

Vurbal:
-Vurbal (August 13, 2013, 08:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

The problem becomes when the barrier to entry is too high to be anything but a large corporation.  And most of these things are in place not because of the price of doing business, but the price of defending yourself against lawyers and the practice of defining playing fields.

--- End quote ---
I think I see what you're saying now. It's certainly the same in the sense the rich and powerful have rigged the system in their favor across the board. Licensing in the taxi market isn't fundamentally different from predatory pricing by powerful retailers or IP laws in the software industry. However you dress it up it's about stifling competition.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version