topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:52 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: PirateBrowser released by The Pirate Bay  (Read 7726 times)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
PirateBrowser released by The Pirate Bay
« on: August 10, 2013, 06:20 PM »
The Pirate Bay releases it's own browser (via Business Insider)

Plenty of notable or controversial sites like Wikipedia and Pirate Bay are censored in various capacities in some countries around the world, but Pirate Bay is striking back by releasing PirateBrowser.
It's a customized Firefox browser with some specialized proxy settings to get around the "censorship that certain countries such as Iran, North Korea, United Kingdom, The Netherlands, Belgium, Finland, Denmark, Italy and Ireland impose onto their citizens."

This browser does not make you anonymous. It's simply a mechanism to maintain access to the entire, uncensored Internet.

However, PirateBrowser comes bundled with the Tor browser, a separate tool that's very effective at anonymizing you.

More at link.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Re: PirateBrowser released by The Pirate Bay
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 09:03 PM »
 :Thmbsup: Woohoo for TPB!

I am kind of wondering what makes it different than TOR Browser though...
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 09:30 PM »
I notice they didn't mention China...

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 10:25 PM »
:Thmbsup: Woohoo for TPB!

I am kind of wondering what makes it different than TOR Browser though...

I think this statement:
Does it make me surf the net anonymously?
While it uses Tor network, which is designed for anonymous surfing, this browser is intended just to circumvent censorship — to remove limits on accessing websites your government doesn't want you to know about.

What that means from a technology standpoint I think is nothing.  But using TPB as a branding can't do anything but raise the profile of TOR.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2013, 10:36 PM »

I think their point was more to put "North Korea" and "United Kingdom" in the same category and leave the rest to your imagination.

What that means from a technology standpoint I think is nothing.  But using TPB as a branding can't do anything but raise the profile of TOR.

My gut was telling me that it was something like that, but I had to run off and wash dishes, and didn't bother reading the FAQ, etc. (I goof off while soaking pans or for any other excuse I can come up with.) But either way, it's good to see TPB and TOR in the news.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Vurbal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • Mostly harmless
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 11:44 AM »

I think their point was more to put "North Korea" and "United Kingdom" in the same category and leave the rest to your imagination.

When they're censoring people should put it in that context. In fact if you listen to what the politicians who favor censoring for anti-piracy say there's usually a reference to "China can do it, why can't we?" Not by coincidence IP protection is the excuse China typically uses in their press releases when they announce a new censorship plan.
I learned to say the pledge of allegiance
Before they beat me bloody down at the station
They haven't got a word out of me since
I got a billion years probation
- The MC5

Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the danger of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of ''crackpot'' than the stigma of conformity.
- Thomas J. Watson, Sr

It's not rocket surgery.
- Me

I recommend reading through my Bio before responding to any of my posts. It could save both of us a lot of time and frustration.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 12:15 PM »
It's only a matter of time before a 'KimDotcom' repeat gets played on TPB.

I'm waiting...

Vurbal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • Mostly harmless
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2013, 12:38 PM »
It's only a matter of time before a 'KimDotcom' repeat gets played on TPB.

I'm waiting...

Actually the MegaUpload thing was just a repeat of the Pirate Bay prosecution from a few years ago. In that case the "investigation" was run by a corrupt cop who was fed all the information by the IFPI (the international RIAA) and even left his job to work for them immediately afterward.

In typical US government style they were more arrogant about it so they operated on a grander scale and didn't even bother to vet what the MPAA fed them.
- The MC5

Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the danger of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of ''crackpot'' than the stigma of conformity.
- Thomas J. Watson, Sr

It's not rocket surgery.
- Me

I recommend reading through my Bio before responding to any of my posts. It could save both of us a lot of time and frustration.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2013, 12:56 PM »
^All too true. But I was referring more to the grand spectacle with pyrotechnics that went down in New Zealand.

Probably this time around they'll follow the time honored tactic of waiting until said "person of interest" visits or passes through a country with a US extradition treaty - or which has a history of cooperating with such requests in lieu of a treaty. Then the US will file a (usually bogus and nasty) criminal complaint in a US court and request extradition of said person to the US to stand trial. (Rape is the current favorite charge since it generates so much emotion in so many quarters that rational discussion often goes by the wayside. Which is a plus as far as some people are concerned.)
 :huh:

Vurbal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • Mostly harmless
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2013, 01:08 PM »
^All too true. But I was referring more to the grand spectacle with pyrotechnics that went down in New Zealand.

Probably this time around they'll follow the time honored tactic of waiting until said "person of interest" visits or passes through a country with a US extradition treaty - or which has a history of cooperating with such requests in lieu of a treaty. Then the US will file a (usually bogus and nasty) criminal complaint in a US court and request extradition of said person to the US to stand trial. (Rape is the current favorite charge since it generates so much emotion in so many quarters that rational discussion often goes by the wayside. Which is a plus as far as some people are concerned.)

Probably true. Every attempt will only get bigger, and therefore more transparent, because they think the reason past efforts haven't worked is not enough emotional manipulation. I suspect they'd prefer an easier target with less established public sympathy, but then again recognizing reality isn't their strong suit.
- The MC5

- Thomas J. Watson, Sr

It's not rocket surgery.
- Me