ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

PirateBrowser released by The Pirate Bay

(1/2) > >>

wraith808:
The Pirate Bay releases it's own browser (via Business Insider)

Plenty of notable or controversial sites like Wikipedia and Pirate Bay are censored in various capacities in some countries around the world, but Pirate Bay is striking back by releasing PirateBrowser.
It's a customized Firefox browser with some specialized proxy settings to get around the "censorship that certain countries such as Iran, North Korea, United Kingdom, The Netherlands, Belgium, Finland, Denmark, Italy and Ireland impose onto their citizens."

This browser does not make you anonymous. It's simply a mechanism to maintain access to the entire, uncensored Internet.

However, PirateBrowser comes bundled with the Tor browser, a separate tool that's very effective at anonymizing you.

--- End quote ---

More at link.

Renegade:
 :Thmbsup: Woohoo for TPB!

I am kind of wondering what makes it different than TOR Browser though...

Deozaan:
I notice they didn't mention China...

wraith808:
:Thmbsup: Woohoo for TPB!

I am kind of wondering what makes it different than TOR Browser though...
-Renegade (August 10, 2013, 09:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think this statement:
Does it make me surf the net anonymously?
While it uses Tor network, which is designed for anonymous surfing, this browser is intended just to circumvent censorship — to remove limits on accessing websites your government doesn't want you to know about.

--- End quote ---

What that means from a technology standpoint I think is nothing.  But using TPB as a branding can't do anything but raise the profile of TOR.

Renegade:
I notice they didn't mention China...
-Deozaan (August 10, 2013, 09:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think their point was more to put "North Korea" and "United Kingdom" in the same category and leave the rest to your imagination.

What that means from a technology standpoint I think is nothing.  But using TPB as a branding can't do anything but raise the profile of TOR.-wraith808 (August 10, 2013, 10:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

My gut was telling me that it was something like that, but I had to run off and wash dishes, and didn't bother reading the FAQ, etc. (I goof off while soaking pans or for any other excuse I can come up with.) But either way, it's good to see TPB and TOR in the news.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version