ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Edward Snowden's Email Provider Shut Down Rather Than Comply With Feds

<< < (2/9) > >>

Renegade:
I wouldn't be too worried about "the industry." Have you noticed how all the people running around, appearing on news shows, and holding press conferences just keep repeating the same things over and over even though nobody believes them? It's not because they think they're fooling anyone. They're just so out of touch with the rest of the world they literally don't know how to do anything else.-Vurbal (August 08, 2013, 10:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

;D

What matters is that the masses have realized the emperor has no clothes and suddenly the spell is broken. A month ago people were scared not to go along with the government. Now they're just scared of the government. And now they're looking back at what we've been telling them for years and suddenly it makes sense. At the end of the day that's all people are looking for. Somebody to fill in the blanks they can't fill in for themselves.

No matter how charming or convincing or threatening you are sooner or later you have to deliver. Almost everyone can tell the difference between the real thing and a fake. Some people just take a lot longer than others.
-Vurbal (August 08, 2013, 10:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

I hope you're right. The "fringe lunatics" have been screaming at the tops of their lungs about these issues for decades. There is literature on related topics going back to the 1910's & 1920's.

Vurbal:
I hope you're right. The "fringe lunatics" have been screaming at the tops of their lungs about these issues for decades. There is literature on related topics going back to the 1910's & 1920's.
-Renegade (August 08, 2013, 10:42 PM)
--- End quote ---
What we have that they didn't is the Internet. It's not that the technology is somehow special. It's just that the propaganda only works to the extent that censorship allows it. Humans, as irrational as we are as a species have this bizarre ability to create a sort of social supercomputer that is ultimately greater than any of us separately.

Censorship disrupts that so propaganda can mislead us. Except that we, you and I, aren't affected by it when we route around the error. That's really what the Internet is if you think about it. A simplistic model of human communication.

Edvard:
Damn damn damn damn  >:( >:( >:( >:(

Lavabit was MY email provider.  I used it because they were a small, relatively unknown email provider (read: smaller target), they used Linux servers (gotta support the flock :) ), but more importantly, they kept your email encrypted, with no master key.  Only YOU could read your email.  Ever. 

So, this is what it comes down to.  Submit to being spied upon at whim or else no goodies for you.

This is no longer a matter of whether it's not the United States I and millions of others used to know.  This is no longer the United States of America as defined by it's founding documents, period. 

P.S. If anyone knows of a good email service provider with a similar policy, please let me know.

Vurbal:
Damn damn damn damn  >:( >:( >:( >:(

Lavabit was MY email provider.  I used it because they were a small, relatively unknown email provider (read: smaller target), they used Linux servers (gotta support the flock :) ), but more importantly, they kept your email encrypted, with no master key.  Only YOU could read your email.  Ever. -Edvard (August 08, 2013, 11:24 PM)
--- End quote ---

That sucks. Sorry to hear it.
So, this is what it comes down to.  Submit to being spied upon at whim or else no goodies for you.

This is no longer a matter of whether it's not the United States I and millions of others used to know.  This is no longer the United States of America as defined by it's founding documents, period.
--- End quote ---
It's a basic lesson people need to learn and pass on to future generations (who will eventually forget it just like every other generation). Liberty and democracy are not something that can be bestowed, bequeathed, or inherited. They must be taken - not necessarily by force but always by force of will, and they must be maintained the same way.

Revolution does not have to mean war. But it always means standing up to the government and saying no.

In the words of Thomas Jefferson, "I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical."

Renegade:
Lets see if that motivates others in the industry to follow suit.-40hz (August 08, 2013, 09:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

Sigh... Be careful what you wish for... You just may get it...  :'(

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20130809/01204324120/another-secure-email-service-shuts-down-to-avoid-having-to-do-so-later.shtml

another secure email provider, Silent Circle, chose to announce its own plans to close down its secure email service hours later. Silent Circle isn't facing the same hidden court orders/government demands, but it recognized that it would likely come some day soon -- and thus it was better to shut down ahead of time, before the government forced it to make the same decision.
--- End quote ---

Well, I guess that opens up the possibility for secure email services to start up business outside of the US.

Just a quick question... Has anybody perchance happened to notice WHERE/WHO all these problems originate with?  :-\

Revolution does not have to mean war. But it always means standing up to the government and saying no.

In the words of Thomas Jefferson, "I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical."-Vurbal (August 08, 2013, 11:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

+1

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version