ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Article: Inside the Spyware Scandal -- Part 2

<< < (3/3)

swing:
It don't matter what you think of it copy protection is coming.
-Cpilot (May 17, 2006, 05:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

True, but...

And no matter what the greedy bastards come up with, the pirates will always be able to make their copies, so in the end only us legitimate users are hurt.
-f0dder (May 17, 2006, 12:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

just as true, and maybe more relevant.

The only people the record industry is hurting is their customers, not the pirates.

Copy protection as a term is by and large a myth.

See copy protection is a game of "who is more clever", and when you have 10 or 20 people, being paid, to create a protection scheme, you have 1000-2000 people working, as a hobby, on breaking it.

Who do you think will win that game? The small crowd who does it because they get paid to do it, or the large crowd who does it because they think it is fun?

In the end, every protectionscheme that is made will be broken and circumvented by those that really wants to, and left standing punished for it, is the legitimate consumers who will have to endure all the crap those protectionschemes bring with them.

superboyac:
Sony is company that is continually plagued by innovative hardware coupled with poor decisions in every other aspect of their company...which includes advertising, marketing, company management, roadmaps, etc.  Basically, they make great products, and then find a way to really screw it up and shoot themselves in the foot.

Carol Haynes:
I must admit I was in a quandry when I wanted to upgrade SoundForge and Vegas. I had bought them when they were still Sonic Foundry products and since then Sony bought up the titles. I have a rooted objection to buying anything Sony after the Rootkit debacle but I really did want to continue using SoundForge and Vegas. In the end I succumbed and felt guilty.

It is surprising though how many pies they have fingers in - it is almost impossible to buy CDs or DVDs that they don't have a share in ... and you can't always tell by the manufacturer mark as they have some many non-Sony (named) subsidiaries.

f0dder:
Truth is you can thank those "heroic" hackers and crackers for root kits.
Thanks fOdder. :Thmbsup:
It don't matter what you think of it copy protection is coming.
-Cpilot (May 17, 2006, 05:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

Excuse me?

I have had nothing to do with rootkits, so please spare me the "thanks". I've had a fair deal to do with software protection though, and there's a couple of applications out there protected by my code.  :eusa_boohoo:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version