topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 6:54 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: P3005 HP LaserJet printer questions  (Read 20039 times)

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
P3005 HP LaserJet printer questions
« on: August 07, 2013, 08:29 AM »
I have several of the P3005dn laserjets at my school that are in need of some repairs.  Is it worth it to repair these printers?  Does anyone know what the P stands for... maybe personal?  They print extremely fast and have a quick first page out time.  I just need to see if anyone else has any experiences with this particular printer.  Manufacturing date is Feb 2006 if that makes a difference.

thanks,
Dave

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Re: P3005 HP LaserJet printer questions
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 09:10 AM »
I don't know jack about THAT printer, but... a plain 3005:

http://www.amazon.co...rinter/dp/B000JL959C

$89 refurbished or $45 used. My guess is that it would cost more to repair than to replace it with a refurb. If you have a "callout" fee for a service guy, most likely that itself would pay for one.

And the ~dn model:

http://www.amazon.co...LFAQE/ref=pd_sim_e_5

A bit more expensive, but marginally. $140 for a refurb.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 09:22 AM »
Thanks Renny.  Mine is a laser and not an inkjet.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 09:27 AM »
Both of those are laserjets.

Vurbal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • Mostly harmless
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 09:28 AM »
This is somewhat from memory since I left the IT world in 2006, but IIRC P just means monochromatic (black) compared to CP which would indicated a color printer. The number should tell you the intended market which mostly indicates the expected number of pages per use, per month, and over the printer's lifetime.

3000-3999 is (once again IIRC) the bottom end of the managed workgroup printers it seems likely they are not designed for a large number of pages and are probably a pretty bad deal in terms of cost per page. I typically recommend never going below the 4000 range for workgroup printers. In fact around that same (2005-2006) time I standardized the network I was managing on the 4250. That's also what the elementary school my wife worked at for several years afterward used for regular day to day printing.

Of course it also depends greatly on what kind of repairs you're talking about.
I learned to say the pledge of allegiance
Before they beat me bloody down at the station
They haven't got a word out of me since
I got a billion years probation
- The MC5

Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the danger of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of ''crackpot'' than the stigma of conformity.
- Thomas J. Watson, Sr

It's not rocket surgery.
- Me

I recommend reading through my Bio before responding to any of my posts. It could save both of us a lot of time and frustration.

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 10:19 AM »
Sorry about that Renegade.  I was on my phone when I posted the reply so I didn't bother checking the link out.

some of the repairs on different machines are like a growling noise when it prints, paper jam in tray 2 even though I replaced the sep pad and feed roller with genuine HP parts.

I have used the 4100 and 4200 with pretty good luck.  we are an extremely small school, so most of our printers get 2,000 or less pages printed per year.  our staff is has been taught not to print unless its absolutely necessary.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 11:17 AM »
The printer business model is largely on replacement ink cartridges. I don't know enough about that specific printer to say much more, but if you're already getting into replacing parts and paying for labour, it's mostly likely going to be cheaper to simply replace it with a refurbished or used one. You also need to factor in the time it takes for you to deal with the issue. If it costs you $100 in time, it might just be cheaper to get a refurb and be done with the deal.

Vurbal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • Mostly harmless
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2013, 11:45 AM »
If you're running into a lot of apparently mechanical problems with low end printers Renegade is right that it's rarely worth repairing them.

There appears to a HP service note you just missed out on (literally ended at the beginning of July) suggesting the noise is the result of problems between the shaft and gears for the fuser. If it was still a free replacement it would obviously be worth it. Otherwise I'd take it as a likely sign of other problems in the future and cut my losses as soon as possible.
- The MC5

Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the danger of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of ''crackpot'' than the stigma of conformity.
- Thomas J. Watson, Sr

It's not rocket surgery.
- Me

I recommend reading through my Bio before responding to any of my posts. It could save both of us a lot of time and frustration.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2013, 11:57 AM »
This is somewhat from memory since I left the IT world in 2006, but IIRC P just means monochromatic (black) compared to CP which would indicated a color printer.

Correct! Also the D is for Duplex, and the N is for Network as the base model only has USB or parallel depending on the age of the P3005.

The number should tell you the intended market which mostly indicates the expected number of pages per use, per month, and over the printer's lifetime.

That doesn't actually track with the HP's, some yes, some no, if the numbers actually do match it's an accident. I see the sales types tripping over this one a lot.

The laserJet 4000/4050/4100 was replaced with the LaserJet 4200/4250/4300/4350, which was then replaced by the P4014/P4015 ... Which has now been replaced by the M600 Professional series. So I guess we're all going to start over on/with the numbers now. *Shrug* They're great printers, but a bit much for Techidaves print volume as if the cartridge gets too old (recommended shelf life is 1 year) the seals will go and dump all the toner into the printer in one shot. And it's not the kind of mess you can scrape off the Teflon roller in the fuser...so plan on kissing that goodbye too. Such was the fate of the LaserJet 2100 I used to have in my office at home...The guys are using it for parts now.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@Techidave - The P3005's are a mid level business class printer that will really take a beating. So if you print volume is that low the printer is a good fit.

There is a (fuser drive gear) kit available for the (somewhat common) growling issue. If a can track down the service manager I'll get the PN for the kit and post it later. They're not that hard to replace if you're competent with hand tools, and there is a service bulitin with instructions on the repair that should be easy to find with google (I can't post that one here).

Jamming in 2 - I can check with the techs and see what the most common causes. But if you have any that appear to be bricked (won't come to a ready or throw an error) there was a recall on the formatters for a range os serialnumbers ... So that would be a free repair at/by any HP Authorizes Service Provider.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2013, 01:07 PM »
They're great printers, but a bit much for Techidaves print volume as if the cartridge gets too old (recommended shelf life is 1 year) the seals will go and dump all the toner into the printer in one shot. And it's not the kind of mess you can scrape off the Teflon roller in the fuser...so plan on kissing that goodbye too.

Yep. Just had that happen recently with my beloved personal 4150N. I've been trying to see if I can get it cleaned out as kind of a hobby project when I'm feeling mechanical. Doesn't look too promising.

Vurbal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • Mostly harmless
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2013, 02:24 PM »
The number should tell you the intended market which mostly indicates the expected number of pages per use, per month, and over the printer's lifetime.

That doesn't actually track with the HP's, some yes, some no, if the numbers actually do match it's an accident. I see the sales types tripping over this one a lot..
-Stoic Joker
That's right. Now that you mention it I remember getting annoyed when I was trying to compare HP printer models because there didn't end up being any real rhyme or reason to it. I had one just for my own use in IT that was something like a 1320 and it was a low level enterprise model.
- The MC5

- Thomas J. Watson, Sr

It's not rocket surgery.
- Me

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2013, 03:55 PM »

Not too long ago one of the printer manufactorers announced a trade-in discount.  I'm thinking it was HP, but I could be wrong.  You might want to call HP and ask if they have a trade-in program for their printers.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2013, 04:47 PM »
^Brother had a trade-in deal not too long ago for one of their better all-in-ones. They gave you something like $50 on any printer traded in. Had a client bring in an old dot matrix NEC. They took it.

Save himself $50 plus a trip to the town's electronics recycling center. ;D

HP has an ongoing trade-in program. What's eligible changes periodically so you'll have to check what you have against their list. Link to page here.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2013, 05:15 PM »
^Brother had a trade-in deal not too long ago for one of their better all-in-ones. They gave you something like $50 on any printer traded in. Had a client bring in an old dot matrix NEC. They took it.

Brothers are cheap to buy and expensive to operate. Prints per cartridge is not a bargain, and they're basically disposable repair wise due to their service unfriendly design.

HP has an ongoing trade-in program. What's eligible changes periodically so you'll have to check what you have against their list. Link to page here.

True, and they'll take just about anything...especially if it's another brand. We've "recycled" quite a few that way. :D

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2013, 06:51 PM »
I think Brothers are cheap and noisy, but most are noisy anymore.  I have had some Samsung Lasers that are preforming very well for us.  Cost per page isn't that much more than any other one especially if you get the long life cartridges.  And I haven't had to replace feed rollers in them yet.  But time will tell on that part.

A friend of mine has a P3005 in another school district and every 20,000 pages he is replacing feed rollers and seperation pads or else it jams.  not sure if they are genuine HP parts or not.

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2013, 07:54 PM »

I've got an old HP Office Jet G85 All In One printer that was my dads, and I inherited it when he died.  It's really quiet, makes excellent copies, and has never had to be serviced with the exception of ink cartridges.  The only thing I don't like about it is the cost of the cartridges, which is why I re-fill my own, but it seems that the cartridges are only good for 2 or 3 re-fills before they don't work anymore.
  If I ever have to buy a new one, it's going to be one with individual ink wells and that DOES NOT have the anti-refill chips installed like the Lexmarks do.  I used to be a real big fan of Lexmark until they started that crap.  Now I wouldn't own one if you gave it to me.....

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2013, 08:04 PM »
we used to have a HP Photosmart all in one, dont remember the model been about 5 to 6 years ago.  didn't get used a whole lot but we always had to replace the cartridges (genuine) when we had to use it after sitting idle for 9 to 12 months.  i got tired of spending $100 some dollars everytime they wanted to use to print 3 or 4 pages :P  but the excuse was we spent $400 on it.  some people will never understand1  :D

Vurbal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • Mostly harmless
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2013, 08:31 PM »
we used to have a HP Photosmart all in one, dont remember the model been about 5 to 6 years ago.  didn't get used a whole lot but we always had to replace the cartridges (genuine) when we had to use it after sitting idle for 9 to 12 months.  i got tired of spending $100 some dollars everytime they wanted to use to print 3 or 4 pages :P  but the excuse was we spent $400 on it.  some people will never understand1  :D
IME Brother inkjet cartridges are designed (probably intentionally) so that happens inside a month.
- The MC5

- Thomas J. Watson, Sr

It's not rocket surgery.
- Me

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2013, 08:48 PM »
Still happy using a "throwaway" HP LaserJet: the 1020...for almost 8 years now. There is a big refill market here and at the time I bought 2 "fake" cartridges when my original was gone. There was no way to buy a new one from HP, but the two fakers perform just as well and have been refilled quite some times already.

The printer is in a location that doesn't collect (much) dust, out of the murderous sun light and shared over a USB port into the LAN, which consists of a mix-and-match of Windows and Linux systems. All can and do print without problems.

Nothing but good words about my little HP "soldier".  :)

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2013, 09:36 PM »
One of my secretaries has a HP 1100 laser jet with over 100,000 pages on and is still going strong. Had the feed rollers replace one and another HP paid for fix, can't remember what it was.

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2013, 08:25 PM »

I don't know of any ink jet cartridges that won't dry out when not used for that long.  The ink in the well isn't what dries out, but the foam absorbing part right above the print head.  HP states that to recover a cart that stops working from long idle times, put the cart in a shallow dish of water, just enough to soak the print heads.  Then if that don't free things up to put it in a shallow dish of alcohol just enough to cover the print heads.  Of course after this is done you have to thoroughly dry the heads and print out several test pages to work the water or alcohol out of the heads.

If you have a refill kit, you can try this:  Put a little ink of the proper color for the print head your trying to revive into the syringe, then insert the needle all the way down to the print head and inject a little ink.  If you over-do it you stand the chance of getting ink into one of the other print heads and have to print out a bunch of test pages to flush it out.

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2013, 08:28 PM »
the problem that i was describing was more the the chip in the cartridge and the proverbial planned obsolescence.  :(

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2013, 10:57 PM »
put the cart in a shallow dish of water, just enough to soak the print heads.

A folded up wet paper towel works well for that also and is much harder to spill. ;)

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2013, 03:49 PM »

A folded up wet paper towel works well for that also and is much harder to spill. ;)

I tried it with a paper towel, but you can't get the water/alcohol to cover the heads.  I use paper towels to just clean the heads when they're visibly dirty.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2013, 08:03 AM »

I tried it with a paper towel, but you can't get the water/alcohol to cover the heads.  I use paper towels to just clean the heads when they're visibly dirty.

It doesn't need to, as long as the jets are sitting on the wet towel the dried ink will soften and wick out into the towel.

Now if you want a really huge mess, try doing the ink station pad replacement after someone has tipped the printer and dumped ink all over inside the unit. After contending with that a few time it becomes rather clear that plain water is actually the better cleaning agent. It cuts the dried ink better, is easier to find, cheaper, and considerable safer since it isn't flammable.

The guys in server never use alcohol for cleanup anymore ... Did I mention that I work for an HP Authorized Service Provider (ASP). ;)