ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Anti-Tracking Smartphone Pouch

<< < (5/7) > >>

bit:
That's what they mean by 'digital'.
Using your 'digits' to dial numbers.  :P

mwb1100:
Besides, any phone that regularly drops off the grid and can't be reached by a backchannel ping - and then pops back for no apparent reason - becomes a dead giveaway that the owner is employing some shielding mechanism.
-40hz (August 07, 2013, 03:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

This technique has been used by Hezbollah to uncover American spies. Using off-the-shelf technology available to anyone. 

The analysis identified cellphones that, for instance, were used rarely or always from specific locations and only for a short period of time.
-http://gizmodo.com/5861384/hezbollah-captured-american-spies-by-tracking-cellphone-data-with-commercially-available-software
--- End quote ---

Of course, they had suspicions already and had ideas of where to perform the data captures effectively so it's not like they were mining data from the entire cell network.  But it's a good indication of how easy this kind of thing can be and how this behavior can be a 'tell'.

Innuendo:
I thought I read somewhere that if you wrap your cell phone in aluminum foil, it will keep trying to check for incoming calls and run its own battery down in a short time.
Or is that not so?
-bit (December 09, 2013, 02:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

Cell phones are designed to reach out and find cell phone towers so they can maintain connections with the mobile network. If they can't make contact they'll keep trying to reach out over and over again until the battery dies. This is why if you are in a remote area with spotty cell phone service your battery will drain more quickly. In this aluminum foil scenario what you would want to do is turn on Airplane Mode before you wrapped your phone.

40hz:
I was just wondering...do they come in colors designed "just for women" too?  ;D

Innuendo:
I was just wondering...do they come in colors designed "just for women" too?  ;D
-40hz (December 10, 2013, 10:17 AM)
--- End quote ---

Of course they do...and with an extra pocket to keep your favorite lipstick!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version