ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: M3U8 playlists

(1/6) > >>

oblivion:
I have an idea for a useful -- and hopefully not-too-complicated -- program.

I have a music player with an expansion slot. If I want to make a "mixtape-style" playlist, it's quite complicated if I want to incorporate music from the expansion slot as well as the internal memory.

If I make a list of files for a playlist while the player's plugged into my PC, the files will include drive letters that the player won't understand.

So I'd like a playlist maker that'll make playlists my player can interpret. To achieve that, it'll need to be able to be told which drive letters map to what folders and where the playlists need to be stored on the player. Ideally, it should either be able to handle drag-and-drop OR have a file browser that can read the music files' tags. (Or even both!)

It would also be nice if it could shuffle a playlist randomly. (For some reason, my text editors don't seem to understand why I might want to sort the lines in a textfile randomly!)

In case this hasn't made much sense, here's what my present workflow looks like:

1. Plug in MP3 player. The PC assigns it to drives F: and K:.

2. Browse files on player from a file manager, select single or multiple filenames, copy the full pathnames to the clipboard, paste them into a text editor. Repeat until all the required music has been identified and named in the textfile.

3. Use search and replace features in the text editor to replace F:\ with \MUSIC\ and K:\ with \<microSD1>\

4. Use search and replace again to replace all \ with / (this is a Rockboxed player and it uses unix-ish path conventions)

5. Tweak order of lines to reflect needs. (If I want random, though, I have to shuffle the playlist using the player itself!)

6. Save file to the Playlists folder on F: as (whatever).m3u8

For all I know, there are 101 things out there that do something like this. However, all I seem to be able to find are playlist makers that make playlists for the device they're being run from -- and as the battery life of my MP3 player is better than my netbook and it doesn't make such an unsightly bulge in my shirt pocket, something like this would be Really Useful. :)

c.gingerich:
Let me see if I understand. You want a utility that you can drag and drop or select music from one (or both) of those drive letters and have it replace the letters with \MUSIC\ and \<microSD1>\ respectively and be able to randomize the list and save it as a file with .m3u8 extension <MyMix.m3u8>. Is that correct?

oblivion:
Let me see if I understand. You want a utility that you can drag and drop or select music from one (or both) of those drive letters and have it replace the letters with \MUSIC\ and \<microSD1>\ respectively and be able to randomize the list and save it as a file with .m3u8 extension <MyMix.m3u8>. Is that correct?
-c.gingerich (August 05, 2013, 08:16 AM)
--- End quote ---
I never learned properly not to waffle. :) That sounds about right!

Oh, yes, it'll need to swap backslashes for forward slashes too.

c.gingerich:
Ok. I'm on it... Here is a screen shot so far. :-) http://cl.ly/image/2Q0S353V3t18

oblivion:
Ok. I'm on it... Here is a screen shot so far. :-)
-c.gingerich (August 05, 2013, 09:33 AM)
--- End quote ---
That looks stunning already :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version