ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

The fun of installing custom router firmware (tomato, dd-wrt) - an introduction

<< < (7/11) > >>

mouser:
You cut off a bit much when trying to cut off the referrals.
--- End quote ---

So i did -- thanks, corrected now.

40hz:
Do you think its nearing time for me to upgrade if it's working fine right now?
-wraith808 (August 29, 2013, 11:53 AM)
--- End quote ---

It's already paid for. So if it's doing what you want it to, there's no need to upgrade IMO. :Thmbsup:

About the only folks that might arguably need to stay on the bleeding edge of PC tech are the super-serious PC gamers.

mouser:
So i broke down and got myself a new router (ASUS Dual-Band Wireless-N 600 Router RT-N56U).

The main motivation was to fix the issue with my laptop losing it's connection, and to improve wireless connection strength at far corners of my house.

So I'm using stock firmware on this for now; i *MIGHT* put tomato on this router, i might not.

And the laptop losing connection i will have to report on later.
The wireless strength in the kitchen is a little better but not hugely -- that's a disapointment but maybe due to me not getting a router model with external antennas and me not experimenting with positioning the router (anyone know what kind of difference this kind of thing makes?)

However, I got a huge surprise after connecting the new router, which is that my internet download speed almost doubled, from 35MBPs to 57MBPs(!).  I had assumed that the older netgear 54GL router would not have had a problem getting this kind of bandwidth so it never occurred to me that it could be the bottleneck.  Very cool surprise.

If you're using an old router and not getting the bandwidth that your ISP says you should get, you might want to consider upgrading router..

Special thanks to dc member Swkire for help with router issues and advice in choosing a router.

skwire:
(anyone know what kind of difference this kind of thing makes?)-mouser (September 06, 2013, 03:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

It can make a huge difference.

4wd:
So i broke down and got myself a new router (ASUS Dual-Band Wireless-N 600 Router RT-N56U).

So I'm using stock firmware on this for now; i *MIGHT* put tomato on this router, i might not.-mouser (September 06, 2013, 03:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't think you'll need to worry about that decision because Tomato is for Broadcom based routers.

The RT-N56U is based on a Ralink chipset and if Info Depot is correct, it's not supported by any other firmware either.  It's also listed in the DD-WRT database as being unsupported.

Ooppss! There is another firmware for it - see lanux128's post below.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version