topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 6:46 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Saving data in fields in pdf forms  (Read 8343 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Saving data in fields in pdf forms
« on: May 09, 2006, 11:36 AM »
Is it possible to save the things you type in the fields of a pdf form when using Acrobat Reader?  When I open a form in Acrobat Reader, I get the message "You cannot save data typed into this form".  Is there a way around this?  Is it a security feature?  I can find the original file and recreate the pdf to remove this feature, but I can't find the setting for it in Adobe InDesign.  I have a feeling it's a limitation of Acrobat Reader and not a security setting in the form.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Saving data in fields in pdf forms
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 12:33 PM »
This is taken from the Acrobat 7 Pro help file:

acro.png

so I'd guess it is to do with the way the original PDF is generated.

One thing you may be able to do is use another PDF generator to 'print' the filled form to a new PDF file.

I have lost track of which free programs are out there to do that but if you don't mind buying something Universal Document Converter will do it and has the advantage that you can 'print' to all sorts of graphic files (including JPEG, TIFF, GIF and BMP as well as PDF). See http://www.print-driver.com for details. It isn't free but it is good and there is a watermarked demo version if you want to try it out.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2006, 01:36 PM »
ACtual Carol, I just came across that bit of text a few minutes ago also!  But here's the problem, I remembered that I filled a form once that I was able to save the fields inside, so I opened that document, and I found that in the "Document Properties" Security settings, everything listed said "Allowed", and for this form that I am having trouble with, 3 of the options in the list say "Not Allowed" including the one that says Changing the document (is not allowed).

SO, I need a way to change the Document Restrictions so that everything says Allowed.  I tried making the pdf again from scratch using Adobe Designer, but the same thing happens and I can't find where to change these settings, called "Document Restrictions", and furthermore, the phrase "Document Restrictions" doesn't appear in the help dialog.  That's another pet peeve of mine, when a help file doesn't contain the exact phrase that they use to define something in the program.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2006, 04:22 PM »
Restrictions are usually in Document Properties (try the file menu). Should be in the security tab.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2006, 04:28 PM »
Well, in the Document Properties, all I can do is see what the document restrictions are (allowed or not allowed), but you can't actually change anything there.

I just spoke with the person who created the document, and it seems to be something weird with just that one pdf.  Other pdf's are able to be saved with the fields and all.  I can attach the pdf here if anyone wants a crack at it.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2006, 06:04 PM »
Yes do I'll see if I can do anything with it ...

but you are right there is nothing in the help file about setting restrictions unless you apply passwords to the file.

jdd

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2006, 06:07 PM »
There are some third party programs that allow you to open and edit pdf forms.  I was never able to find freeware to do this so I had to pony up in a desperate moment and used PDF Editor 2.4 which can be found herehttp://www.cadkas.de/downengtools8.php

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2006, 06:25 PM »
Sorry, I can't seem to attach any files from work, not can I use yousendit.  I'll try sending the file tonight.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2006, 06:59 PM »
JawsPDF Editor is pretty good too - see http://www.jawspdf.c...pdf_editor/cost.html (there is a special offer on at the mo) though check out it does what you want (http://www.jawspdf.c...df_editor/index.html) first - it is a long time since I used that one!

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2010, 08:54 AM »
This may help, I don't know for sure.
Just found it on a feed.

I know this thread is old but....

http://www.pdfpropertieschanger.com/

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2010, 12:23 PM »
A-PDF Restrictions Remover
http://www.a-pdf.com...rictions_remover.htm

$9.99, unconditional 30 Day Money Back Guarante
-or TrialPay

Edited:
will make a copy, original untouched.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 12:26 PM by Curt »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2010, 06:02 AM »

It's not clear to me from first post if you want to create a file that can be filled & saved in Acrobat, or if you simply want to save what you have typed into the pdf

If it's simply a case of saving what you've typed into a PDF (i.e. simply filling a form, not editing the pdf itself), you can use pdf xchange viewer - there's a portable option to the right of the page
Tom