ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Slower Planes And Charging For Bathrooms

(1/6) > >>

Tinman57:

Forget the flying slower part, the biggest story is considering charging to use the bathroom and standing-only tickets.  Perhaps they will revisit this idea when people start using the complimentary barf bags for urinals.... Standing-only tickets will NEVER HAPPEN with current FAA rules.

Ryanair's latest money-saving scheme: slower planes
Ryanair bets you won't mind spending two extra minutes on their planes.
--- End quote ---

http://www.smartplanet.com/blog/bulletin/ryanairs-latest-money-saving-scheme-slower-planes/25399

Shades:
@Tinman:
As you are/used to be an air force guy...I read once that it might be a good idea to put more effort in putting turboprop planes back into the air.

Energy-wise this technology could be made a lot less wasteful than current jet engine tech. As it currently stands the two technologies match each other.

Besides this, commercial airliners fly as slow as they can get away with already for years now, to keep fuel costs down. Almost negating the advantage a jet has over a turboprop (speed).

From that article I understood that using similar maintenance procedures/intervals for turboprops as is done for jets, current turboprop tech is as reliable and almost as fast current jets fly, but a lot cheaper with fuel.

I keep saying article, but it could also have been a paper or case-study...

TaoPhoenix:
"the biggest story is considering charging to use the bathroom"

is answered by "No Attendant, I will be pissing in this water jug here!"

:D

tomos:
the bathrooms one is an old story now - not sure if it has been regulated, but there was such a fuss kicked up at the time, that it was dropped. The owner/ceo has the approach that any publicity is good publicity :-\
I'd prefer to not fly with them myself, but they do fly a route that no-one else does that is very convienent for me (flying 'home')... more => :-\

Tinman57:
@Tinman:
As you are/used to be an air force guy...I read once that it might be a good idea to put more effort in putting turboprop planes back into the air.

Energy-wise this technology could be made a lot less wasteful than current jet engine tech. As it currently stands the two technologies match each other.

Besides this, commercial airliners fly as slow as they can get away with already for years now, to keep fuel costs down. Almost negating the advantage a jet has over a turboprop (speed).

From that article I understood that using similar maintenance procedures/intervals for turboprops as is done for jets, current turboprop tech is as reliable and almost as fast current jets fly, but a lot cheaper with fuel.

I keep saying article, but it could also have been a paper or case-study... -Shades (August 02, 2013, 08:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

While turbo-props do have much better gas mileage, they'll never be nearly as fast as a jet engine.  I've read over the years how they were testing diesel aircraft engines (piston) that use bio-fuel, but I haven't kept up with the technology and don't know if it's in the plans or not.  Perhaps now that they're trying to save so much fuel, the piston diesel engines will become a reality.  Another thing they've been testing is rotary engines.  They claim more power with better economy over the turbo-props.  But if they're anything like the old Mazda rotary engines, the upkeep will be a major factor.
  I really do need to catch up on which direction the industry is taking, but they change their minds about as much as my ex-wife.... soooooo   :o

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version