topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:18 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Icon problems with FileContents nodes  (Read 7061 times)

Vurbal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • Mostly harmless
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Icon problems with FileContents nodes
« on: August 01, 2013, 11:35 AM »
As part of the project I mentioned on the Easy Screencast Recorder thread I'm attempting to create what I'm calling a System Bar for Windows. The basic idea is to reimagine the (IMO severely outdated) Start Menu and Control Panel. I'll be creating a separate thread to get general input on it but I've suddenly run into a strange issue creating menus from text files.

I should probably mention this is on Windows 7.

The menu items in FileContents nodes suddenly started showing me incorrect icons. Instead of the icon I specify (using the /icon argument) every menu item displays the file handler icon you would see in a file manager. Here's where it gets really strange though. It didn't start happening until after I set the file associations for various standard image formats to XnView. At first I suspected XnView was at fault but it turns out the same thing happens if I associate the file extensions with MS Paint or GIMP. OTOH if I set it back to the Windows default (Windows Photo Viewer) that fixes the problem.

Here's an example when Photo Viewer is set to default:

PhotoViewerAssoc.png

And here's what it looks like when I change it to XnView:

XnViewAssoc.png

This doesn't affect any other type of node. In fact it doesn't even happen to the icon set for the node itself or icons automatically extracted from an executable in the text file - just icons set using the /icon argument. A (semi) educated guess would be that they are being processed in a file system context for some reason rather than actually being opened.

Here's the NirCmd menu with various programs set to default for opening ICO files:

Default-PhotoViewer.png Photo Viewer (Windows default)

MS_Paint.png MS Paint

XnView.png XnView

GIMP.png GIMP
I learned to say the pledge of allegiance
Before they beat me bloody down at the station
They haven't got a word out of me since
I got a billion years probation
- The MC5

Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the danger of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of ''crackpot'' than the stigma of conformity.
- Thomas J. Watson, Sr

It's not rocket surgery.
- Me

I recommend reading through my Bio before responding to any of my posts. It could save both of us a lot of time and frustration.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 05:44 PM by Vurbal »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
Re: Icon problems with FileContents nodes
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 12:56 PM »
set using the /icon argument.

i was just about to tell you that you were imagining some feature in LBC regarding this mystery /ICON switch.. but then it occurred to me to read the help file for my application and it turns out there is such a thing after all.

i will see if i can find the issue, it sounds like it should be pretty simple -- it sounds like it's using the file extension only to look up the icon.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 02:33 PM »
i was just about to tell you that you were imagining some feature in LBC regarding this mystery /ICON switch.. but then it occurred to me to read the help file for my application and it turns out there is such a thing after all.

yaay for help files :D
Tom

Vurbal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • Mostly harmless
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 04:06 PM »
set using the /icon argument.

i will see if i can find the issue, it sounds like it should be pretty simple -- it sounds like it's using the file extension only to look up the icon.

Heh. That's the problem with being able to write code in your sleep. You might not remember it when you wake up.  :P

However as I said it works fine as long as I don't change the file association from the Windows default. I suspect you're using a Windows API function that relies on Photo Editor and just assumes nobody will change it. Nonsensical assumptions are the building blocks of Windows after all.
- The MC5

Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the danger of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of ''crackpot'' than the stigma of conformity.
- Thomas J. Watson, Sr

It's not rocket surgery.
- Me

I recommend reading through my Bio before responding to any of my posts. It could save both of us a lot of time and frustration.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 04:32 PM »
messaged you with test version.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 11:41 PM »
Ok so i have a question -- if in the /ICON field you specify the path to an exe -- does it get the proper icon from the exe?

so its only doing this when you do /ICON and specify the path to a file that ends in .ICO extension?

Vurbal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • Mostly harmless
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2013, 11:52 PM »
It works properly using the /ico switch with EXE icons. That makes sense because it displays the icon correctly when I don't use the /icon switch at all and the EXE file being launched has its own embedded icon.

For ICO or PNG files I get the odd behavior when anything but Windows Photo Viewer is the default for that particular extension.

The switch doesn't appear to support DLL files - at least not using the filename;# references I copied from regular LBC nodes. Not a big deal since I don't use icons on most of my menu items anyway.
- The MC5

- Thomas J. Watson, Sr

It's not rocket surgery.
- Me

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2013, 12:27 AM »
I may not be able to fix this -- for file contents nodes, LBC relies on the system behavior for showing files, via a function called SHGetFileInfo, and it seems your system (all systems?) are set up so that if you set a custom handler for .ICO files, the result is that all .ICO files show up in standard file managers/explorers as generic icons.

Vurbal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • Mostly harmless
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2013, 12:45 AM »
That's what I was saying before. I assumed it was a file system function and the behavior was out of your/my hands.

One thing I'm curious about, though. It doesn't affect image files selected for a regular node (like a command or menu for example). Does that use the same code or does that use something else that's not compatible with FileContents nodes for whatever reason?
- The MC5

- Thomas J. Watson, Sr

It's not rocket surgery.
- Me

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2013, 12:54 AM »
It doesn't affect image files selected for a regular node (like a command or menu for example). Does that use the same code or does that use something else that's not compatible with FileContents nodes for whatever reason?

yeah, the normal button icons are actually extracted from files once at time of adding them, and then stored as data.  this has some real pros and cons, but it's not dependent on the file system icon rendering.  when showing the contents of directories, however, i use this other method that shares file explorer icons (FARR uses this too by the way) -- the benefit is that the OS does the heavy lifting of finding the icons, the downside is you are at the whim of the OS for some of these issues.

Vurbal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • Mostly harmless
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2013, 01:16 AM »
I guess I realized that from looking at the saved files. And yeah, being at the whim of Windows always means you'll run into one ridiculous assumption or another.

One of the biggest challenges I've been running into lately is things that work completely differently depending on the parent process. If it's launched from the Run command or command prompt (explorer or cmd) it does one thing but if you try to run the same thing from a program like LBC or NirCmd it does something else. Or in the case of symlinks to EXE files it works from the command line (or so I've read) but doesn't work from explorer.

It's my own fault for sticking with Windows.
- The MC5

- Thomas J. Watson, Sr

It's not rocket surgery.
- Me