ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Please help superboyac build a server (2013 edition).

<< < (27/31) > >>

40hz:
Seems like Supermicro motherboards, even if it says ATX, may not truly be standard:
-superboyac (August 15, 2013, 05:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

hehe No ... But they are really nice. My server has been running on one for years. Their cases are quite nice also ... Very well made.
-Stoic Joker (August 15, 2013, 06:51 PM)
--- End quote ---
Damn.  I have to contact them and get the dimensions.  I want it to fit in that cooler master case!
-superboyac (August 15, 2013, 07:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

The mobo measures 12" x 9.6", (30.48cm x 24.4 cm) according to Supermicro's spec page here.

Official standard dimension for an ATX mobo is 305mm x  244mm - so this Supermicro board falls almost perfectly within the ATX spec.

CoolerMaster says the case can support microATX, ATX and XL-ATX.

Since the XL-ATX form factor is 343 mm x 254 mm, it would appear that this case can accommodate a maximum of 305mm x 254mm using the largest dimensions of the eligible form factors. So I'm very confident the board you've spec'ed would fit the case you want to use.

------

re: OS choice:

In your case I'd do a feasibility test with Windows Server 2012 using the trial. If that works, you have a fallback. Only catch is you'll need one license per server - so it can get expensive down the road as you add servers.

If that checks out ok, next try a FOSS solution and see if you're comfortable and confident enough to want to use that instead.

FWIW, Microsoft's tech support is very good for all their server products. Very professional and quite different than the support offered for their desktop OS. There's several videos up on YouTube about stroage spaces under Windows Server that probably are worth a look.

For FOSS inspiration, check this vid out. Solid advice:

8)

Vurbal:
FWIW, Microsoft's tech support is very good for all their server products. Very professional and quite different than the support offered for their desktop OS.
-40hz (August 15, 2013, 11:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

That matches my experience as well. Their server support team is very serious about making sure your problem gets fixed. In fact a Novell admin I used to know who managed systems for a number of companies (banks mostly) and really disliked MS servers had horror stories about Novell support and nothing but good things to say about dealing with Microsoft.

superboyac:
The mobo measures 12" x 9.6", (30.48cm x 24.4 cm) according to Supermicro's spec page here.

Official standard dimension for an ATX mobo is 305mm x  244mm - so this Supermicro board falls almost perfectly within the ATX spec.

CoolerMaster says the case can support microATX, ATX and XL-ATX.

Since the XL-ATX form factor is 343 mm x 254 mm, it would appear that this case can accommodate a maximum of 305mm x 254mm using the largest dimensions of the eligible form factors. So I'm very confident the board you've spec'ed would fit the case you want to use.

------
-40hz (August 15, 2013, 11:01 PM)
--- End quote ---
Thanks 40.  That's good by me then, I'll get it soon when I'm ready.  I'm getting excited...I don't know why I love storage so much.  I must be like a virtual packrat or something.  I consider it like a second brain sort of.

40hz:
I'm getting excited...I don't know why I love storage so much.  I must be like a virtual packrat or something.
-superboyac (August 16, 2013, 06:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

Could be part of it.

But servers are cool tools. Period. I love 'em. :-*

Having one of your very own opens up so many possibilities beyond just a desktop that it's a rush for most people.
 8)

Vurbal:
I'm getting excited...I don't know why I love storage so much.  I must be like a virtual packrat or something.
-superboyac (August 16, 2013, 06:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

Could be part of it.

But servers are cool tools. Period. I love 'em. :-*

Having one of your very own opens up so many possibilities beyond just a desktop that it's a rush for most people.
 8)

-40hz (August 16, 2013, 08:24 PM)
--- End quote ---

Even an ancient server like my dual P3 Intel white box just gives off a different vibe than a desktop between the 10,000RPM SCSI drives that sound like miniature jet turbines when they spin up and the fans you can hear from the next room. OTOH it's damn annoying when I'm making a desktop capture video and have to shut it down to get rid of the background noise. 

I thought about putting a window air conditioner and wall mount server rack in the closet to contain it but the closet isn't deep enough. :(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version