ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Please help superboyac build a server (2013 edition).

<< < (19/31) > >>

superboyac:
Good choice on the Cooler Master case. Their cases have as good a combination of component accessibility and airflow as you're likely to find.
-Vurbal (August 06, 2013, 05:46 PM)
--- End quote ---
Thanks.  I'm a big fan of their designs.  Right up my alley.  Love the handle!  But more importantly, the 9 unbiased bays.

40hz:
I haven't been able to find much information about FreeNAS 9 or 9.1, especially regarding the drive pooling features.  Got anything to read or watch for that?
-superboyac (August 06, 2013, 04:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

Sorry I missed your question earlier.

Downloadable docs for all current versions of FreeNAS can be found on this page. Manual in PDF format for 9.1.0 can be directly downloaded here. The ZFS pooling info starts on page 111.

Can't comment at this point because it's a brand new version of FreeNAS and I haven't got any hands-on with this version. And I'm not sure I really would be able to say much since this 20 drive Leviathan server you're building will have more drives under unified management than anything I've ever worked with. Biggest I've ever done is 4 drives with ZFS. It's worked really well for me so far.

But remember, with servers - especially storage servers - you're in it for the long game. So it isn't until you hit the 5-year mark and successfully recover from your first few hardware crises that you can realistically say: "This is good. It works."

Look at what happened with Backblaze once a few of their mondo storage servers started experiencing real loads and time frames. Intermittent 'bad surprises' cropped up with some people's data even though Backblaze's techs do know what they're doing.

Like the man says, "It ain't over till it's over."

And with this stuff, it's never really over. 8)

wraith808:
^ That's a good point.  Perhaps you should start with the capability to do more, but not start with your max storage?  It would be a lot easier to keep track of and maintain with less drives.  Might be something you want to think about.

superboyac:
I haven't been able to find much information about FreeNAS 9 or 9.1, especially regarding the drive pooling features.  Got anything to read or watch for that?
-superboyac (August 06, 2013, 04:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

Sorry I missed your question earlier.

Downloadable docs for all current versions of FreeNAS can be found on this page. Manual in PDF format for 9.1.0 can be directly downloaded here. The ZFS pooling info starts on page 111.

Can't comment at this point because it's a brand new version of FreeNAS and I haven't got any hands-on with this version. And I'm not sure I really would be able to say much since this 20 drive Leviathan server you're building will have more drives under unified management than anything I've ever worked with. Biggest I've ever done is 4 drives with ZFS. It's worked really well for me so far.

But remember, with servers - especially storage servers - you're in it for the long game. So it isn't until you hit the 5-year mark and successfully recover from your first few hardware crises that you can realistically say: "This is good. It works."

Look at what happened with Backblaze once a few of their mondo storage servers started experiencing real loads and time frames. Intermittent 'bad surprises' cropped up with some people's data even though Backblaze's techs do know what they're doing.

Like the man says, "It ain't over till it's over."

And with this stuff, it's never really over. 8)
-40hz (August 07, 2013, 03:14 PM)
--- End quote ---
:( OK, I'll brace myself!  As long as i have a plan for not losing data, I'll be fine fixing whatever needs to be fixed.
Please help superboyac build a server (2013 edition).

40hz:
^ Welcome to the world of system administration!

It's not just a job...it's a...well...it's...ah screw it! It's a job. ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version